L33t Thread 2010

YI

Well personally.

Against Me! would be total sing-along city. Really disliked the last album though and worried about the new one (which will have been released by Bonnaroo, I think), but "Reinventing Axl Rose" is still one of the most perfect records ever IMO. Angry folk/big sing along shit.

Dropkick Murphy's...definition of a great festival band. It should be mandatory for a large festival to have at least 2 ska bands and/or Dropkick Murphy's/Flogging Molly. Because there's gonna be a time when you just want to lose your shit, get far too drunk, join a chain of strangers and go fucking mental.

The Gaslight Anthem...duh, I bum them.

GWAR...fuck man, it's GWAR.

Ingrid Michaelson...not as talented as Regina Spektor I guess, but I may enjoy her more, as she's someone whose stuff I'm really drawn back to a lot...if she doesn't clash with anyone, some I'd definitely see.

LCD Soundsystem...a band I'd never fork out the £20 he'd ask for a solo headline show, so a festival would be a great time to see him, get drunk, dance your tits off.

Les Claypool...fuck man, it's Les...someone I'd love to see, whatever project he's doing.

Lucero...amazing, amazing band. Really nail the whole punk-country/Americana/Heartland Rock sort of thing...all the albums I've heard by them are massive.

I was going to say Manchester Orchestra...but having just confirmed I missed them at Leeds Festival to go see MADINA LAKE! I don't think I can recommend them as a MUST SEE! :shifty: To be fair, their 2nd album's turned me off quite a bit. It's not bad, it's just...there...and lacks a lot of the charm that made the band great. If you like stuff like Modest Mouse you should go see them though. "Sleeper 1972" could probably bring me to tears if I had a shit day, so gloriously bleak.

Miike Snow...missed seeing these guys a couple of Fridays ago because it sold out, totally gutted. Really fun record, imagine they'd transfer across well live/throw in some remixes and stuff too. Deserve big props for writing "Toxic" for Britney Spears as well.

Mumford & Sons...got tickets to see these next month. FANTASTIC indie-folk band from over here, a bit like The Decemberists at times, but a bit more...whimsical, I guess. Absolutely love them.

The National...oh my god, what a band. The last two albums especially, sweet lord, near perfection. I'm pretty sure the singer could bring a room of women to orgasm with his singing voice alone.

Norah Jones...sexy as hell, incredibly talented...this has actually made me realise, I've had her most recent album on my PC for months and I've never actually listened to it all the way through. Someone I wouldn't see in a normal concert environment, so would definitely try and catch here.

Regina Spektor...again someone I wouldn't normally see, so would try here.

Stevie Wonder...hero, again someone I wouldn't normally see, so would definitely try here...fuck man for "Sir Duke" and "Superstition" alone it'd be worth it.

I'll make a new post for this because otherwise my last one will just be massive.

Heard it on Zane Lowe earlier tonight and the Jónsi single (Sigur Ros guy) from his forthcoming album (not to be confused with his ambient stuff from last year) is absolutely MAAAAASSSSSIVE -

I also love the fact it's in English...yet, I don't know whether it's because I'm just so switched off to actually trying to understand what the fuck he's singing, I don't understand any of the fucker...and only if I concentrate really hard can I pick up odd words, haha.

And speaking of similar stuff, Kyte updated their myspace with 4 'new' songs - http://www.myspace.com/kyteband

I say 'new', they're going to be on their forthcoming album, but they've all been floating around in some form for a while. "IHNFSA" and "Like She Said" were upped onto myspace for a short while before last summer, "The Smoke Saves Lives" was on their last album (which is fair enough I guess, as that was a Japan only release) and "Fear From Death" was a b-side to the Japanese album...that being said, still really excited for the album, would love to see high quality versions of "8" and "30" get on there too in some form. Absolutely love everything this band does. new versions of "IHNFSA" and "Fear From Death" sound massive.

The new Rocket Summer album is massive too. So much amazing shit leaking at the minute. A&A, Shy Child, Lali Puna and now this have all been outstanding.

Edited by YI

Has anybody checked out the La Roux/Heaven 17 collaboration?

- nobody has EVER looked as smug, and slightly like a potential sex offender, as Glenn Gregory at the start of this video.

- in which La Roux is ENTIRELY surplus to requirements.

- because nothing says "a union of pop's glorious past and glistening present" quite like Terrence Trent D'Arby.

There's no floor standing tickets left for Gaslight in Glasgow, just got two balcony standing tickets but looks like it's going to be seated tickets only left by next week at this rate.

On another note, WHOOOOO GASLIGHT!

Ignite's Zoli Téglás (real name ZOLTAN! - queue "Dude Where's My Car?" jokes) officially announced as long term Pennywise vocalist. :D The fact the band have went from one of the blandest singer's in punk rock to well, fuck it, easily the best is hilarious.

What this means for Ignite though, I don't know. They're hardly the most productive/efficient band to begin with. :(

And new Murder By Death track! :D :D :D - http://www.punknews.org/bands/murderbydeath

Album out at the end of April apparently. I love it. Really quite catchy for them.

Edited by YI

So apparently a new Titus Andronicus CD is coming out next month. I have fun memories of seeing them live, opening for Los Campesinos, in which they broke an amp during the first song and played creepy recordings. It's probably leaked by now, so has anyone heard it?

Here's a version of one of the new songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCzGD6pEaNI

sdfestival.jpg

It's the same weekend as Evo Fest here/slap bang in the middle of my exams...but fuck if I don't wanna do it. :(

I will also apologise for my lack of mentioning Marina & The Diamonds in my post saying;

The new Rocket Summer album is massive too. So much amazing shit leaking at the minute. A&A, Shy Child, Lali Puna and now this have all been outstanding.

The album is massive, and it's grown on me tenfold in the last couple of days. So apologies, Marina Lambrini Diamandis' album is fantastic.

Edited by YI

oh what a coincidence.

that's like the only album I've been really looking forward to this year so far. is it easy to find?

A couple of places have the link removed, but I got it from the first place I checked, just think "quack". :shifty: (sure I'd have linked you to there at some point)

Edited by YI

oh i thought that quack place was dead now. i haven't used it in months and months.

edit: got it! i hope...

Nah came back online towards the end of last year I think. It's been back for a couple of months at least.

Went to see Hot Club De Paris last night, they were awesome. New EP out in March, I can't wait.

Also saw B>E>A>K who are pretty good. A fun gimmicky band if there ever was one. They're playing the Split Festival Sunderland in October along with The Futureheads, Field Music and Frankie & The Heartstrings; probably going to end up buying tickets to that soon.

Speaking of Field Music, they are playing a free gig at RPM Records in Newcastle on Saturday.