L33t Thread 2010

YI

Evo Fest 2010 has been announced...line-up, I dunno, not totally swayed on it. But fucking DE LA SOUL! £25 for the weekend...seriously...it can't be actually De La Soul can it?!?! If so, that's the most fantastically random thing ever.

Main line-up is;

SUNDAY

SPILLER'S WHARF

Paolo Nutini

Calvin Harris

Tinchy Stryder

The Futureheads

Field Music

Frankie & The Heartstrings

Twenty Twenty

Natalie Findlay

Let's Buy Happiness

BALTIC SQUARE

Fake Blood

Benga

Rusko

Scratch Perverts

Beardyman

Filthy Dukes

Doorly

Jaymo & Andy George

Eskimo Twins

People Get Real

BALLAST HILLS

The Unthanks

King Creosote

Po Girl

James Hunter & The Jokers

Dawn Landes

John Smith

JT Nero & Friends

MONDAY

SPILLER'S WHARF

Enter Shikari

The Horrors

De La Soul

Ellie Goulding

Dananananannanananananananananananannananananananananananaykroyd

Everything Everything

Egyptian Hip Hop

Minnaars

Cosmo Jarvis

Polarsets

BALTIC SQUARE

Delphic

Hadouken!

Example

Frankmusik

I Blame Coco

Ou Est Le Swimming Pool

Lonelady

Mirrors

Retriever

BALLAST HILLS

Donovan

Baskery

Lissie

Smoove + Turrell

Slow Club

Danny & The Champions Of The World

Ben Howard

Edited by YI

I got the email for it too! Headliners are Paolo Nutini and Enter Shikari?

hahahahahahahaha

and £25 is a rip off. no way am I going again

Paulo Nutini - Enter Shikari

Calvin Harris – The Horrors

Delphic – De La Soul – Fake Blood

Donovan – The Unthanks plus many more

lol

is it actual hippy Donovan? that's quite cool

Yeah, there's not a lot I'd love to see there. But it's basically a drunken institution at this point (albeit, it used to be a free institution), and a focal point of my yearly calender. £25 to hopefully see De La Soul, The Futureheads, Field Music, Dawn Landes (again), Ellie Goulding, Dananannanaaykroyd, Minnaars and Slow Club isn't really that bad though.

Futureheads alone would normally charge like £15 (and I'm not that big of a fan, so the hits would really make me happy), De La Soul would be like £20...Danananana... charged £8 last time they were here. Fuck it, I'm just convincing myself to go, I know I'm going anyway.

But I do admit, not something I'd travel for.

Edited by YI

I'm 50/50 on whether to do this, or stay in Leeds that weekend and do Slam Dunk and Marina. Sunday doesn't really hold much interest for me, and most of the Monday stuff I'd like to see, I've seen quite recently, or have plans to see soon (Delphic, Slow Club, Frankmusik, Ellie Goulding). There's only really De La Soul and Dananananananananananananaykroyd that I'd be interested in that I won't be seeing in the near future otherwise.

If you can get it in 3D it'll shit on that Avatar.

Also, unrelated, but slightly related (perverted nature), how come I never realised the cello player in Murder By Death was so fucking beautiful until now?

Edited by YI

Yeah it's decided, gonna grab my ticket if the Academy box office still flog them like they did a couple of years ago. It's just not May bank holiday without Evo Fest.

To be honest, if I can catch De La Soul, The Futureheads, Dananaanananananananananananaykroyd, Slow Club and Minnaars, whilst getting absolutely fucked, the whole weekend will be worth it.

And Let's Buy Happiness being on the Main Stage is fucking massive for them. They're basically just one of your Newcastle College fall out bands (nothing like Little Comets last year who are now on Columbia, or Frankie & The Heartstrings who have a real indie buzz around them), real big shock...good band though.

Edited by YI

Well Lights is off the Owl City show tonight because she's lost her voice...which is fucking shit...she was the only support to, so fuck knows what's happening...part of me can't even be arsed anymore. :/

Only way this potentially even begins to pay off is extended Owl City set (meaning more "Maybe I'm Dreaming" material) but I honestly don't think that's going to happen. :(

The fact at the start of the day I was gonna see Lights and Owl City with the lass...now I'm only going to see Owl City with a homosexual...that pretty much sums up the disappointments of today haha.

Edited by YI

Owl City were actually really, really good, and the crowd didn't actually make me feel that much like a paedophile, good stuff...the guy's incredibly camp though, from ridiculous hand gestures to swinging a guitar about yet never actually seeming to play it at all. He was so musical theatre. Live set-up's him who just dances about and sings/pretends to play guitar, girl on keyboard and backing vocals (who I fell a little bit in love with over the course of the set), guy who switches from guitar to synth, a drummer, a guy with a laptop and stuff and a 2-girl string section, who also substitute as backing dancers (like so -

)...during "Tip Of The Iceberg" when they got up and broke into random dance, I just about pissed myself.

It's weird, Academy 2 was sold out, but it actually 'felt' less busy than when I saw Streetlight Manifesto there. :/ But then again, totally different kind of gig.

Setlist was;

Umbrella Beach

The Bird And The Worm

The Tip Of The Iceberg

On The Wing

Air Traffic

Fireflies

Meteor Shower

The Saltwater Room

The Technicolor Phase

Dental Care

Hot Air Balloon

Cave In

Vanilla Twilight

----------------------

Hello Seattle

Still really gutted about Lights. :(

"The Technicolor Phase" was awesome (with CRUNCHING GUITAR in the chorus), it got absolutely ZERO response though, which is upsetting because it's his best song...I mean "Air Traffic" at least got something, "...Technicolor Phase"...complete blank faces. "Hot Air Balloon" sounds massive live. His voice is AMAZING live, absolutely perfect. I was a bit weird how he'd work live cos his voice is proper touched up, but absolutely amazing. I love his backing singer/keyboard singer, if she isn't already solo, she needs to be (and she is - http://www.myspace.com/breanneduren ).

Edited by YI

I just came across Chew Lips, bizarrely from a pop-up on an MMA site showing some Youtube channel with the video for Karen. It's wonderful, not heard them mentioned before.

No, me neither....

I'm falling ever so slightly in love with Tigs out of off of CHEW LiPS.

:shifty: