L33t Thread 2010

YI

The giggles of the free years can never be matched. But;

Fully backed the £3 year, if for no other reason than getting utterly smashed, off my tits and acting like a proper bellend. That bint from Crystal Castles fell off the stage at the Baltic too.

£15 year...being an altogether crazy weekend...one of my favourites ever. HUMAN LEAGUE! Backed.

This year, £25...but...hitting treble vodkas in the morning/watching the shitty England/Japan match, nearly punching a security guard and De La Soul (seeing De La Soul, not nearly punching De La Soul :shifty:)...backed.

Plan B and Iggy Pop...£35?!?!?! Not backed...not backed at all.

Edited by YI

I just can't justify it, the odd good spell is always followed up by something terrible. Was going to go this year when they had the Mackem Triple F's on (Frankie, Field Music, Futureheads) but they were mid afternoon with nothing but shite on the rest of the day, not spending £30 odd quid on that. Especially while Middlesbrough Music Live and Stockton Riverside Fringe (Human League, yay!) remain free anyway.

Edited by Colly

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of L33t, when the hell did elitists start liking Justin Timberlake? What, he somehow survived the death of boy bands so you respect him now? I've seen people here and other places bash actual bands like Linkin Park (who are definitely under-rated by the elitists and at least put some emotion into what they do) and then turn around basically kiss Timberlake's ass.

I actually tried to listen to some of his stuff, and it stills sounds like he's trying to be Nsync long after they broke up.

The funny thing is, he actually did a decent job singing "Hallelujah" on the Haiti benefit, but on his own albums he seems to keep writing crappy Pop-Dance songs with no effort on the vocals.

It's like when Kylie Minogue did Where The Wild Roses Grow with Nick Cave. It is miles above her regular stuff.

Yet the same people crap on Mainstream Rock.

Is it because you have such low standards for "Pop" music and extremely high standards for Rock?

I personally find the concept of a music "elitist" comical, because music is so subjective. A lot of people just express their opinion as fact.

Speaking of which, I think the synth outro to Love Stoned is better than Linkin Parks entire musical output, hows that for a fact? Good pop music is not inferior to rock music just because its got 'real instruments' and writing for the kids who dress in black instead of the smily colourful kids.

Linkin Park got a lot of undue stick, I thought. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were solid albums (I even enjoyed Reanimation!), then they kind of lost the plot and decided they wanted to be U2. They're utter garbage now. It's strange, I think they're just easy targets, when there's definitely far, far worse out there.

Speaking of L33t, when the hell did elitists start liking Justin Timberlake? What, he somehow survived the death of boy bands so you respect him now? I've seen people here and other places bash actual bands like Linkin Park (who are definitely under-rated by the elitists and at least put some emotion into what they do) and then turn around basically kiss Timberlake's ass.

I actually tried to listen to some of his stuff, and it stills sounds like he's trying to be Nsync long after they broke up.

The funny thing is, he actually did a decent job singing "Hallelujah" on the Haiti benefit, but on his own albums he seems to keep writing crappy Pop-Dance songs with no effort on the vocals.

It's like when Kylie Minogue did Where The Wild Roses Grow with Nick Cave. It is miles above her regular stuff.

Yet the same people crap on Mainstream Rock.

Is it because you have such low standards for "Pop" music and extremely high standards for Rock?

It's nothing to do with "low standards", and as far as I can tell Timberlake was fairly well-respected from early on in his solo career. While he's not my cup of tea, he makes his style of music exceptionally well - if he were bad at making pop music, he'd be judged by the same standards as bands who are band at making rock music.