L33t Thread 2010

YI

Just some more random comments;

Got The Black Pacific (new Jim Lindberg band) album...can't make it through...wank and lacks the charm of Pennywise.

Styrofoam's taken down his album stream on his myspace...grrr...LEAK! I need to hear it more. :(

Been given a ticket to Frankie & The Heartstrings tomorrow. Summer Camp are supporting. Would have rather it been Jeremy Warmsley supporting solo, but Summer Camp are cool...plus the girl in Summer Camp's a bit of a cutie, so it's not all bad. :)

I Haunt Wizards really need to sort out the vocals in their mix...they're far too loud on their new EP. Some absolutely ridiculously good tunes, "Brain Waves" (which just has an intro that screams "This is going to be fucking awesome") and "Mountain Folk" especially. Great tunes, but the vocals being so loud it hurts is awful.

New iLiKETRAiNS is good. But I really worry that they peaked with "Progress.Reform"...so fucking good.

Got the new Sufjan Stevens and 88 albums...haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Still totally in love with Gabrielle Aplin, and the Dorena album is now floating abut in my top-5 for the year.

The new A Day To Remember song is a bit shit. The new Wonder Years song is...wonderful. And the reworking of "Logan Circle" pretty much proves they are just The Get Up Kids in disguise, turned it into a proper "On A Wire" style number. Fucking love "The Upsides" actually, I totally underrate it because FYS unleashed a world beating album a month or two later.

holy shit why did i not investigate Crywank further when i fell in love with "welcome to castle irwell" on one of yi's thingies. sweet fuck boys, if any of you live near Manchester and decided not to go see him/andrew jackson jihad/kepi ghoulie/apologies, i have none, then i don't know what to make of you.

Yeah, the Manchester line-up looked insane.

However, the London one was just as good. Spoke to Sean for a good 20 minutes before the show, nicest guy forever and everest. He signed our CDs and whatnot, so that was nice of him. They played for a solid hour, maybe even longer, and pretty much just played whatever people called out for them to play. Wonderful, wonderful band.

Manchester was the only date remotely do-able for me, but wasn't feasible in the end. Would fucking LOVE to see AJJ. Kepi Ghoulie are pretty good and Crywank, as I said yesterday, I'm loving. I've seen AIHN before, but not since they've become a 'full band'...and funnily, now they're a full band I have slightly less interest in them. :shifty: That being said, the 7-inch they put out this year was good.

Has the Frankie & The Heartstrings album leaked? I can't find anything, but would like to know more than 2/3 songs before tonight.

Finally got hold of the Kyte, "Dead Waves" b-sides/bonus tracks. HOLY FUCK! So fucking good. They're all more like their 'older stuff' (one being a reworking of "Cassette Culture"), timid and haunting, as opposed to the 'beefed up' arrangements of "Dead Waves"...which is better to be honest, even though I love "Dead Waves". "I'll Follow Dreams For You" and "Spoilt To Death" are especially good. "Staging The World" is a rather nice vocal-less track too.

Edited by YI

This weekend I get to see Los Campesinos/Johnny Foreigner this weekend. Then I get to see Matt & Kim and Spraynard/Break the Habit/some Fest bands next weekend. Then I've got to decide if I want to go to a show on Halloween in NYC. So fucking stocked, I love October.

anyone heard of the 3 crackheads known as Salem? "Trapdoor" is a fucking excellent song, blends so many genres together. and "Dirt". Actually, fuck it, their entire album does that. My pick for album of the year.

New Belle & Sebastian is good, not great. Although three of the songs on it rank among their best ever.

In terms of best Belle & Sebastian albums I'd order them something like this -

Push Barman To Open Old Wounds (EP compilation so doesn't really count)

Dear Catastrophe Waitress

If You're Feeling Sinister

The Boy With The Arab Strap

Tigermilk

The Life Pursuit

Write About Love

Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant

Storytelling (a soundtrack so doesn't really count)

Although I should add that all of these albums above Storytelling are good.

Fully backing Gaslight Anthem's cover of "Songs For Teenagers" by Fake Problems...it was my favourite track on the new Fake Problems album and Gaslight's version is even better. Gorgeous chorus.

...Let it go, let it go, all the way down, 'til there's nowhere left to fall, it's a shame all the ways we build ourselves up, just to let each other down...

New Jamiroquai has leaked. A little apprehensive, given the lead single sounds like a shitty Robbie Williams track. But then again, the last album delivered, so fingers crossed.

Okay, track 1 kicks fucking arse.

Track 3 is better...SAXOPHONE SOLO!

Edited by YI

The Gaslight Anthem were brilliant in Bristol last night. Setlist was essentially this (no Blue Jeans though, even though half the band were wearing blue jeans and whtie t-shirts :@). I was concerned that the newer stuff wouldn't really fit with the old, but it was seamless. I guess it's the production to blame. Not much for banter, but when he did stop to chat for a sec, he was pretty funny. Five songs for the encore too, quality.

HOLY FUCK! Those Gaslight Anthem sets are insane. If they manage setlists that long for the whole tour, it's ridiculous. Good chunk from "Sink Or Swim" too. Can never get enough of "Angry Johnny & The Radio".

Saw Fenix TX. Bloody brilliant. Banter was top notch. Setlist could have done with being a little bit longer though.

And when I couldn't love Into It.Over It anymore, he goes and releases two split releases with Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) and Everyone Everywhere. Hero. :D Now just the track the fuckers down.

Edited by YI