L33t Thread 2010

YI

New Owen!?!?! Or you on about "Abandoned Bridges / I'm Always In Love"...if so, had that for a few months, and yeah, "Abandoned Bridges" is fucking gorgeous. Not big on "I'm Always In Love". He also had a song on a Joan Of Arc 'collective' CD ("Don't Mind Control") at the start of the year called "No More No Where", which was lovely. But yeah, "Abandoned Bridges" is brilliant;

I left the party pretty early, thought I'd go home, drink some wine and fuck myself

...amazing :wub:

If that's not it, link me up. Been listening to him a lot recently. "New Leaves" has probably sneaked itself up as my favourite album by him now.

Got one of the 100 self-titled Bayonets CD's (now sold out)...yes, I fucking buy music. :shifty: Absolutely gutted I never got round to seeing these guys live (because they come so often...and then break-up...cunts), I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't 'jump out' as much as their debut album, but it's growing on every listen.

Absolutely in love with Gabrielle Aplin;

http://www.myspace.com/gabrielleaplin

Such a pretty voice, I seriously cannot get over how good her 'Acoustic' EP is (the first 5-tracks on her myspace are the EP). My favourite track changes all the time. Been listening to it before going to sleep the last few nights, perfect to unwind to.

I'm really torn on the new Saturdays track. For every plus there's a negative;

+ : The verse is ridiculously good, especially the '2nd part' of the vocal line

- : The chorus is bland as fuck, seems to last an eternity in a bad way...and really sucks the life out of such a fresh verse

+ : They all look incredibly fit

- : There's too much spinning...makes me feel dizzy watching it

+ : The choreography seems to have been planned as a proof to "if you're fit, you can do whatever the fuck you want when 'dancing' and it'll look good"...it's hilarious

- : It's just too fucking ridiculous...and how come everyone sounds exactly the same? And how come you only get 1-distinguishable voice in the chorus (although this is a peeve I've had with every girl-band post Spice Girls...who were the last major group where you could tell individual voices).

But yeah...bloody great verse;

New Lloyd Cole is a delight. Quite possibly my favourite album of the year.

Heard that CW Stoneking album that just got released here. Sublime.

William Orbit's Pieces In A Modern Style 2 is mostly good but degenerates into something shockingly bad at times.

New Savoir Adore is good enough.

new Paul Heaton is a bit awful apart from one song. It's the dreadful lyrics I find hard to stomach. The songwriting is alright.

Totally haven't been to bed;

http://www.myspace.com/styrofoam

NEW ALBUM STREAM!!!!

Fuck it, 100% behind the straight electro-pop (as apposed to 'indie-tronica' if that makes sense :shifty:) direction. "Carolyn", "Get Smarter", "Extra Careful", "The Only One To Curse", "Looking Glass Two Zero", "Mile After Mile" and "Am I The Ghost" totally kill it. Also best part, judging from the guest spots on the album (or 'lack of'), the female vocals are all handled from the cutie in his live band...about time she got a look-in on record, great voice. It's not going to be a patch on "Nothing's Lost" or "I'm What's There..." and may not even be as good as his last one, but he knows he's not going to emulate those albums and he's not trying. One artist that's constantly evolving and I love that.

Can't wait for a better quality version...cos myspace is shit.

Also, went to see &U&I (ex-Blakfish) on Friday. Same sort of shit...but not Blakfish. :( Can't remember much. Was very drunk.

Edited by YI

Fucking loving the Styrofoam album. Tails off a bit towards the end, but it's brilliant. Need a download for it though so I can put it on my i-pod. :(

"Extra Careful" has Jim Adkins of JEW on vocals again (and I think that's the only guest vocals spot, Paul Cook from the Sex Pistols and the drummer from Devo do guest drumming spots though). Much better than his track on "A Thousand Words", which was an album low-point...this is one of the best on here. Not as good as the last three, but it might grow. Some amazing tunes on it though.

It's early days, but I'd rate the albums;

Nothing's Lost -> I'm What's There To Show That Something's Missing -> A Thousand Words -> Disco Synthesizers & Daily Tranquilizers -> The Point Misser -> A Short Album About Murder

And NEW JAMIROQUAI!

and

"Blues Skies" is far too fucking Robbie Williams for me to take it seriously. :/

Edited by YI

I saw them the other day...just presumed they were going to be some emo band (given the name), surprised me.

Also, totally fucking gutted I can't get to Durham to see RVIVR, Fashanu and ONSIND on Wednesday because of work...fucking amazing line-up. £4 too. :( Actually, the Head Of Steam website is saying it's FREE!!! OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!!! Really loving the RVIVR album too. :( I do love anything vaguely resembling punk-rock in Durham will always have ONSIND and/or Fashanu on the libne-up. :shifty:

Edited by YI

If my meeting is only an hour (probably be longer), I could get into Durham for about half 9...depending on when curfew is, and whether it is in fact free, I might still go for RVIVR. If it's £4...with travel, that's like £11 (trains/bus home)...wouldn't pay double figures just for RVIVR. :/

100% behind the track, "Turn Your Back On Love" by I Blame Coco. Just sounds exactly like "Another Runaway" by Ladyhawke...although not the bit of "Another Runaway" that sounds like "Video Killed The Radio Star".

She's also very pretty for someone with negative bra size...and being Sting's daughter. Album as a whole isn't that brilliant though. A few good'uns.

Edited by YI

So Gaslight Anthem/Chuck Ragan/Sharks at Newcastle is now down to 'balcony seating'...FUCKING SHITSTICKS! :(

If someday I find a girl that makes me feel like the ending to "Lovely Allen" by Holy Fuck does...I will marry her.

Me vs Hero album is floating about. A few reworkings. Most of the better songs have been floating about already. "My Warren Sense Is Tingling" is cracking.

Edited by YI

The Crywank album is unbelievable...so fucking good. It's basically proof that you can still write an amazing album even if you can barely play an instrument, don't have a good voice, only have primitive recording equipment and no music theory knowledge. Half the songs sound 'the same', given it's just a bloke and an acoustic guitar, and as I said before, he doesn't really know how to play it...but holy fuck, I absolutely love this.

And you can download it for free;

"James Is Going To Die Soon" by Crywank

He just played with Andrew Jackson Jihad the other day too.