L33t Thread 2010

YI

New Blondfire track, "Win The Game" is absolutely lovely...proper tune to cheer you up. :)

http://www.myspace.com/blondfire

Also...2 Foo Fighters dates in Milton Keynes on July 2nd and 3rd. Support is Biffy Clyro for both dates, Death Cab For Cutie on the 2nd and Jimmy Eat World for the 3rd. Pretty much the epitome of a rock shows for people who don't like rock music then. :shifty:

Hoping for some JEW and DCFC shows around then. My exams will be finished, so if I'm not in full time employment (lol) I'd be happy to travel.

Edited by YI

Empire! Empire! are quality.

They stuck a Bon Iver song in the middle of Angry Johnny, apparently it's a thing they do. They also got chastised for not including Wales when Fallon was talking about the individual countries (because he gets shit for saying UK or Europe), there was a massive Wales! Wales! Wales! chant that wenton for nearly a minute. Thinking about it though, if he genuinely wasn't aware of the existence of Wales, would h have thought everyone was just randomly showing their support for aquatic mammals?

One last thing, when Fallon was singing without playing his guitar (I've never seen him do that before), he had some of the campest hand gestures I've ever seen. Really didn't look right >_>

Grrrr....don't be fucking with Angry Johnny. :(

And on a 'similar' note to Gaslight, the new Two Cow Garage album "Sweet Saint Me" is floating about. Haven't given it a listen yet though.

And that Empire! Empire! album pretty much still gets a weekly spin from me. It's so fucking bleak, but it never actually gets me down, it's weird. It'll probably be getting more plays now that it's getting a bit murky too. "How To Make Love Stay" is BEGGING to be used in an artsy indie film, where someone is heartbroken, staring from a window as raindrops slowly trickle down the glass.

Edited by YI

Grrrr....don't be fucking with Angry Johnny. :(

And on a 'similar' note to Gaslight, the new Two Cow Garage album "Sweet Saint Me" is floating about. Haven't given it a listen yet though.

And that Empire! Empire! album pretty much still gets a weekly spin from me. It's so fucking bleak, but it never actually gets me down, it's weird. It'll probably be getting more plays now that it's getting a bit murky too.

To be fair, it worked really well. From what he said after they played it, they stick a bunch of different songs in the middle of it.

One of the times I saw them, they did something with it, I can't exactly remember what...like really dragged out the 'build-up' bit or something, but I remember it annoying me. It's the best track on "Sink Or Swim" and in their top 3 total tracks for me, don't fuck with it...grrrrrrr.

The girl I've been spending all my time with lately (see Whiny Bitch Thread) turned down a part in the video for Dialled by The Blackout Crew.

I really need some more futurepop. I've been spamming the fuck out of Colony 5, VNV Nation, Syrian, Ashbury Heights and Apoptygma Berzerk at the minute. "Fixed" by Colony 5 is such a fucking amazing album, and the last VNV Nation album was unreal too.

Yeah, Algernon Cadwallader are awesome.

But this year, it's all about;

Grown Ups - http://www.myspace.com/ihategrownups

Wot Gorilla? - http://www.myspace.com/wotgorillaband

Everyone Everywhere - http://www.myspace.com/everyoneeverywhere

Fang Island - http://www.myspace.com/fangisland

Adebisi Shank - http://www.myspace.com/adebisishank

I'm fairly sure this'll only apply to YI and LittleDaniel, but I'm seeing Casiotone next week.

BOO YAH!

AMAZING tonight. MASSIVE set...when I say massive I don't mean 'quality' (to be honest, Casiotone is many things, but 'massive' is not one of them) but quantity, 20-odd songs easily. Did about 80-minutes (given his average song length is like 2-minutes), a bit of banter, talked through some of his songs. Was great.

Not really sure on the set. Although pretty sure I made out; "Blue Corolla", "White Corolla", "Nashville Parthenon", "Tonight Was A Disaster", "Travelling Salesman's Young Wife Home Alone On Christmas In Montpelier, VT", "Cold White Christmas", "White On White", "Sunday St." (last song), "Man O War", "Young Shields", "Streets Of Philadelphia" and "Bobby Malone Moves Home".

Support band were really, really good too. Got a Weakerthans vibe from them. Can't remember their name but they were from Edinburgh. 3-piece. Drummer in a gay waistcoat. Singer looked like Grifter and a fitty was on cello/bass guitar.

I want a sleepover at Spraynards. :(

And found out tonight Jonah Matranga was here on Thursday, and I fucking missed him again...bullshit...grrrrrr. Someone needs to fucking advertise this shit.

Edited by YI

Listening to the new ADTR. It's a bit bland to be honest. I think "Homesick" absolutely killed it, but really not feeling the new one. "You'll Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic" is an awesome song name, shame the song's a bit guff. "2nd Sucks" really stands out like a sore thumb too. I really like "It's Complicated", even if it falls straight bang into 3rd/4th album Fall Out Boy territory.

The fact it's been a real standout year for 'similar sounding' bands (The Wonder Years, Transit etc.), who've all absolutely killed it with their albums, shows how bland this is.

Also, absolutely adoring Colony 5 at the minute (I've said it before and I'll say it again). You can try and tell me it's an offshoot of EBM/Industrial music all you want, but to be perfectly honest half the songs sound like if you gave a woman the vocals they'd have been a top-10 dance hit in the mid-90's.

Point proven. 1:35...yeah, I'm sure I heard that on a dance compilation sandwiched between Toca's Miracle and N-Trance. :shifty:

Also now up to date with Into It.Over It split release series (although he's got another one with Koji due out at the end of the month (but this is an LP unlike the others, with 5-songs from each))...there was originally going to be a UK tour too, but it's been postponed until next summer. :(

Anyways, got the splits with Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) and Everyone Everywhere. Everyone Everywhere cover 2 of his songs; "Batsto" which they turn into a rocking indie-emo, full band number and really make their own, and "Fakin It", which isn't as good, and not different enough to the original really IMO. Empire! Empire! just have one song on their half, "If We Had Found You Any Later, You Would Have Drowned". Has the bit of a feeling of a 2-minute song dragged out for 4. Not as good as the other new song they released on their 7-inch split with Football Etc, but still great to hear something new from them. Basically their 'same old' stuff, but if it's not broke, don't fix it.

As for the Into It.Over It songs. From the Empire! Empire! split; "Buffalo, NY" has a lo-fi sound, reminds me a bit of Pedro The Lion stylistically. It's nice. Vocals go total Ben Gibbard style too. "Brenham, TX" is catchy as sin. One thing I like about the split releases over "52 Weeks", is that he has more time to record songs, the 'full band' (even if they're mostly just him on multiple instruments) songs sound a lot cleaner. Although that was what led to the albums charm. The Everyone Everywhere split; "Augusta, GA" is an Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start song, in everything but name, so awesome, and probably my favourite from this series outside of "Pontiac, MA"...and finally, "Raw Bar OBX 2002" is an acoustic one (which are 99% of the time high points) with female vocal accompaniment, and fuck it kicks arse too. Up there with the last two mentioned tracks as the best in the series.

Edited by YI

Banging tune of the moment = "Spaceship" by Alice In Videoland...even if it has the same vocal line as that fucking annoying "From Paris To Berlin" song. But can totally get behind a song that totally revels in its shitty lyrics and has the line "Want you, to want me, to want you to fuck the shit out of me" in it.

l_fedc9f6ba0df462f9dd87814da6bb714.jpg

No idea if the rest of the album is up to scratch, but backing the song hard.

As for the Into It.Over It songs. From the Empire! Empire! split; "Buffalo, NY" has a lo-fi sound, reminds me a bit of Pedro The Lion stylistically. It's nice. Vocals go total Ben Gibbard style too. "Brenham, TX" is catchy as sin. One thing I like about the split releases over "52 Weeks", is that he has more time to record songs, the 'full band' (even if they're mostly just him on multiple instruments) songs sound a lot cleaner. Although that was what led to the albums charm. The Everyone Everywhere split; "Augusta, GA" is an Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start song, in everything but name, so awesome, and probably my favourite from this series outside of "Pontiac, MA"...and finally, "Raw Bar OBX 2002" is an acoustic one (which are 99% of the time high points) with female vocal accompaniment, and fuck it kicks arse too. Up there with the last two mentioned tracks as the best in the series.

YI, being that I'm now well out of my student years and though I do attempt to keep up with 'the kids' an that, that whole last paragraph sounded exactly like the Adam & Joe parady of Zane Lowes brand:new. All you needed was for Bitchbasket to be playing the Funtybox and it would've been complete. Just tried and failed to find a youtube clip...

• Like 1