L33t Thread 2010

YI

So let's go, Alk3's leaked;

This Addiction - Massive intro, catchy as hell, best song on the album, just so god damn catchy. Very "From Here To Infirmary". I love the end of the chorus and the riff, cos they're both so quintessential Alkaline Trio, like the chorus to "Heart Attack" by Strung Out gets me all giddy cos it's so quintessential Strung Out.

Dine, Dine My Darling - This one's a Dan song. I love Dan's voice, it's part of what actually got me into Alkaline Trio. I do find it weird that they never really seem to split vocals all that much, like harmonising, we get backing "Oh's" and "Whoa's", but it's very-very rare they actually harmonise...in fact "Mercy Me" is the only thing off the top of my head I can think of (surely there must be more). This song, yeah, it's good, despite its silly name. There's a totally random key change that doesn't really work, but good tune.

Lead Poisoning - Matt's 2nd song and I'm not digging. It's like a bad Goldfinger song. It's all a bit dull...then there's a fucking trumpet. Okay, I like the trumpet, it reminds me of Smackin' Isiah...actually fuck it, it all actually sounds like a Smackin' Isiah song only with miles better production, hahaha, fantastic...yeah, not too good...actually, now I've decided it sounds like Smackin' Isiah, I've started to like it, it makes me smile haha.

Dead On The Floor - Matt again. A slower one. Very "Hell Yes"/"Fuck You Aurora" style. I really like the riff. But ultimately, it's nowhere near as good as those two songs. Still a good song and one of my favourites.

The American Scream - Another silly named song and another Matt song. Damn good song. Catchy as hell, I LOOOOVE the bridge. Another FHTI/Good Mourning style number. One of the best songs on here.

Off The Map - Dan's second outing. It's more laid back and chilled. Reminds me of their "Crimson" stuff, but with a more "Good Mourning" production. Verse is like some sort of cross between "I Was A Prayer" and "If We Never Go Inside"...I really like this, my 2nd favourite. Has this thing of just being a bunch of old songs thrown together, but fuck, I love it, and the "And I can row, row, row my boat back to shore" bit is cool (even if it does sound like another song :shifty:).

Draculina - Another stupid name. It's a Matt song. Organ/synthy start...another quite slow one. I want to hate it, cos the name is ridiculous...but it's actually pretty good, nice piano backing in the chorus, I could live without "Draculina" actually being in the lyrics. Seriously, lyrically, Matt's went totally off the ball with the last 2-albums (this and "Agony & Irony"). Alkaline Trio lyrics were once so incredibly quotable and deep, Dan's still got it (although he was never as good as Matt lyrically) but Matt's totally dropped the ball...the last album was awful, this one, again nothing's jumping out at me as lyrically great.

Eating Me Alive - Matt again...and a dodgy 80's synth...which doesn't really fit, tone wise it doesn't match up with the guitars. Doesn't help that the chorus...actually it might be the bridge, Matt just singing "EATING ME ALIVE!" over the synth riff might constitute the chorus...so whatever comes before that, it sounds like the bridge to "Help Me"...like...proper like it, but with a slightly less exciting vocal line...meh...worst song.

Piss & Vinegar - ...or is it? The verse is dull...but I really like the chorus...but it sounds like something...what does it sound like?!?! OH YEAH IT SOUNDS LIKE FUCKING "BUMP IN THE NIGHT" BY ALLSTARS*...the chord during the "no place left to hide" bit is a good'un...actually...fuck it, I like this. Grrr...I DON'T WANT TO!! Because all songs called "Piss & Vinegar" are meant to be shit.

Dorothy - Cool as hell syncopated drumming and big guitar to open...then the verse starts...and it has nothing in common with the intro and the transition just just seems awkward. It's another Matt song. YAY! Harmonies in the chorus...this is more like a Heavens song...with harder guitar...GOD DAMN IT!! SILLY SOUND EFFECTS!!! WHY!?!?! WHY!?!?! Weird organs are one thing in the faux-darkness scale (write some fucking good dark lyrics again you cunts) and I can live with them, but silly sound effects can fuck off. Besides that, I like the song.

Fine - Starts with a drum solo...but for those expecting "Take Lots With Alcohol" style shit, no...it's about 1/4 the speed. Another Dan song. Basically your typical "last song", sort of song...which is a bit meh. And there's also like these random bells that really come through in the chorus and annoying the fuck out of me (LIKE SOUND EFFECTS!! WHY!?!?!)...a bit bland.

So yeah...I want to say it's better than the last one...it certainly makes me a hell of a lot less angry. I can sit through it. But ultimately time will tell. I'd say the last album had more 'standouts' (which were often ruined by the over the top production..."Lost & Rendered", "Do You Wanna Know?" "Calling All Skeletons" etc.), but it also had some complete and utter abortions on there, which this doesn't. Even the worst song has a bit of a charm to it...actually "Eating Me Alive" is pretty guff...but nowhere near the terribleness of "Live Young, Die Fast" or "Love Love, Kiss Kiss". Before the last album, Alk3 were a band without a single bad song in their back catalogue, the two I mentioned there put a blip on that...whilst I don't particularly like "Eating Me Alive", it doesn't take the list of bad songs to 3...it's competent enough.

And LAWRENCE ARMS dates;

Tue 23.03. UK Southhampton Unit

WED 24.03. UK Bristol The Croft

THUR 25.03. UK Exeter Cavern

FRI 26.03. UK London Islington

SAT 27.03. UK Birmingham Academy3

SUN 28.03. UK Middlesborough The Crown Festival

MON 29.03. UK Guildford Boiler Room

TUE 30.03. UK Glasgow Cathouse

WED 31.03. UK Leeds Cockpit

THUR 01.04. UK Cardiff Barfly

FRI 02.04. IRE Belfast Speakeasy

SAT 03.04. IRE Dublin Whelans

SUN 04.04. UK Southhampton The Joiners

Grrrrrrr...either Leeds or Boro. Boro would be better, but basically I'd need to get a lift/convince someone to go, cos it's impossible to get back to Newcastle after like 8/9, which is fucking ridiculous. But whether it's worth paying to go down to Leeds...it's all dependent on the supports...but I have a feeling it'll probably sell quickly/maybe sell out, especially with there being no Manchester date/dates in that area. Boro's an all-dayer hmmmm...damn it...grrrrr. Need to get convincing people to go.

Edited by YI

It leaked fucking ages ago...it's not difficult to find.

I always get confused between Adam Green and Anthony Green and forget which one I quite like. Adam Green's the one who supported The Cribs, who I saw like 1-song of and fucked off to the upstairs bar...Anthony Green is the one who did this awesome song;

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38954745

Oh wait, Larry Arms in Leeds is the same day as Strung Out in London...dammmmnnnit. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...fuck this shit. :(

Edited by YI

yeah I've had it for ages actually. it's even out in shops now anyway. But I've got a massive queue of other stuff I need to listen to first. massive backlog due to holidays and stuff. :(

Like Los Campesinos. I'm actually quite liking it now. Probably shouldn't judge full albums halfway through the first track. Although that's what I do best. >_>

It's back to not very good with Who Fell Asleep In though. It's like they're incapable of doing good songs that aren't really fast.

I think I like it better than their last album which I didn't really like. that's something at least.

Adam Green did support the Cribs yeah. He also supported Strokes which was better cause he did more songs from Gemstones. Actually the best thing about seeing Strokes was that Adam Green supported. I owe Adam Green more than you could ever imagine. Massive help to me.

"We Are Beautiful..." was literally split half awesome, half meeeehh. The awesome songs are seriously some of the bands best songs. "Ways To Make It Through The Wall", "Miserabilia", "We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed", "You'll Need Those Fingers For Crossing" and "All Your Kayfabe Friends" are immense...if they put out a 5-song EP of those, it'd be unreal.

I like that "Romance Is Boring" is very Blur-y at times. A few guff songs (a little long), but again some fantastic songs. And I also love the first song. Not one of my favourites, but a great song.

Same with their first album, though I liked it a bit more. If they decided just to release one album in a year and cobble it together from best songs of first two albums and a couple of singles. Possible best album of 2008. Not counting the Ryan Adams one. Or the Aliens one. Or the Conor Oberst one. Or the Death Cab one. Or the Frightened Rabbit one. Or Johnny Flynn, Laura Marling, Ladyhawke, M83, Metronomy, New Amsterdams, Seth Lakeman, She & Him, Sigur Ros, Stephen Malkmus, teitur or Wolf Parade. But definitely better than Bloc Party and tv on the radio. <_<

Wow. 2008 was a good year actually. Always thought it was rubbish.

Oh and another rubbishy slow song - the sea is... this time. Nice lyrics though. Actually...it's getting better now. good chorusy bit at the end. does the singer still have awful hair?

And it sounds like they got the Cribs to play this is a flag. there is no wind.

and that's it finished. s'alright. Peaks far too early mind.

fys_myspace_01.jpg

That's an album cover. :shifty:

Jesus Christ...I downloaded the Heidi Montag album...I don't know why, the concept of it I found hilarious...it's so fucking terrible you can't even laugh at it. Got through 5-songs (well I didn't, I skipped them all after a minute) and just decided "To hell with this" and deleted it. An absolute abortion. So to cheer myself up, here's some photos of her;

Heidi+Montag+heimontag.jpg

Heidi+Montag+heidinakedpb1.jpg

Heidi+Montag+heidimontag.png

Edited by YI

So Andrew Jackson Jihad are releasing a new split EP (sort of, anyway, it's not so much a split as it is the two bands together) with The Gunshy, who are some average-good ska/pop-punk/gaslight hybrid who look like this:

l_80ca018e2cf9c8e1b6ecbfce36a3b1e8.jpg

From L-R: rapist, rapist, rapist, child?, HOLY SHIT RAPIST

Well anyway, it's pretty good. 'There's No War In This Love' is glorious, even though I'm not the biggest fan of AJJ going 'big band', but it works really well, the brass section is wonderful. 'Ffffiresttartterrr' is a bit weaker, but still not bad, it's probably the most AJJ lyrically ("Life is hard as fuck / and these times are sad enough / how is it so tough / for us to just lay in and love" is pretty epic). The other two tracks, 'Thanks Buddy' and 'Only Sean Can Judge Me' are more Gunshy, so I'm not that bothered by them. >_>

I admit, I didn't quite 'get' "The Midnight Organ Fight" like a lot of people, but I still think it's a good album.

But the new Frightened Rabbit songs are amazing - http://www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit

"Nothing Like You" could honestly be an absolutely massive single for them if there's any justice in the world.

The new Eluvium album is so fucking beautiful. I couldn't sleep last night and just sat and listened to it in the dark, absolutely breathtaking. I was worried about the inclusion of vocals, but his voice is so morose, yet strangely tingly, it works perfectly. I adore it.

Heather Woods Broderick's (Peter's sister) album is incredibly beautiful. Very much like her brother's stuff, not as good, but still hauntingly beautiful.

The Unwinding Hours (ex-Aereogramme) album has leaked too. It basically follows on from the last Aereogramme album, only a bit less 'ballsy' still. I absolutely adore "My Heart Has A Wish..." but this isn't anywhere near as good, still quite nice though.

I really like the new Adam Green album so far. Could well end up being my favourite by him after Gemstones (Gemstones can't be beaten). Probably my favourite of the year too, though that's not saying much as only 2010 albums I have listened to so far are Vampire Weekend and Los Camp.

Likewise, new Adam Green is class. Definitely no Gemstones, but it's the best I've heard from in a while. A lot less silly than I'm used to from him, and though nothing nearly as memorable as half the lines from Gemstones have jumped out at me yet, it's still nice.

In other 2010 album news, the new Peter Gabriel album is a thousand times better than it should be. He covers Regina Spektor, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Magnetic Fields, David Bowie...and other people.

It's dodgy/gay internet speak for "elite". Which is basically a joke, seeing as half of the stuff brought up in the thread is far from 'elite'.

And I might be at Marina at Newcastle. Haven't really decided yet. It really depends on the strength of her album whether it's worth going (presuming it leaks beforehand), as I saw her at Evo and Leeds last year.

New Dark Tranquility is massive, loving it, bumming the fuck out of track 2, the riff is massive. Also highly appreciate the fact half the songs start like the death metal equivalent of Scooter songs. :shifty:

Analog Rebellion (ex-PlayRadioPlay!) is utter shite.

"Look On The Bright Side" by Like Bats is a massive Lawrence Arms style pop-punk EP, could see it being like The Menzingers EP from last year, a record held to massive esteem. Speaking of Larry Arms, Brendan Kelly's putting out a split solo CD with some bloke.

There's a new FYS song "Wasting Time (Eternal Summer)" doing the rounds...HUUUUUGE doesn't even begin to describe it.

Also Sunny Day Real Estate are doing a one off date in London on the 22nd of April...with booking and stuff (and before travel) it'll be £30...but fuck, I really want to go. :(

And finally, new Leatherface song/album soon :D :D :D :D Really weird hearing them with the production so crisp but "Never Say Goodbye" sounds amazing - http://www.myspace.com/frankieostubbs

Edited by YI