L33t Thread 2010

YI

Reading/Leeds meeting notes;

• There are some positive changes afoot in a bid to tackle the Sunday Night issues.
  • Tickets are on sale in the latter half of March, exact date will be in the approved minutes.
  • Glastonbury Style Ticket System is a strong possibility for 2011.
  • Reading Festival is Not turning into an Indie Festival, 2009 was the most Radio One friendly year Reading has seen but that’s not a sign of things to come.
  • Changes to the Lock Up, Dance and Comedy Tent were raised and ideas and suggestions are being looked at.
  • HMV Tickets sales will thankfully go back to being on sale the morning after the official release.
  • Weezer are a stronger possibility this year than in previous years.
  • When we asked about Blink 182 and Green Day …….. the response was “No Comment” (make of that as you will)

Extension on that, rumour has it...3-days of Lock-Up this year. If true, that's amazing, and I really have to go. :(

Into It.Over It (ex-Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start) is touring over here in May with Grown Ups, dates aren't announced yet but seriously some of the best news I've heard in a while. Never believed I'd get the chance to see Into It.Over It, definitely a show I'll be willing to travel to. His album is unreal (a few bum tracks, but there's 52-songs on it, of course there's going to be some bum songs), very Death Cab/Bright Eyes/Weatherbox-y.

Grown Ups being on the tour is awesome too.

Edited by YI

So I'm a couple years late, but I just stumbled across the Guilt By Association albums, and holy shit they're glorious. They're set up by Engine Room Recordings, who don't really have the best resume (except for the Bloodsugars, who are wonderful), but they seem to be concentrating on the GbA albums, which are a collection of 'guilty pleasure covers' by indie darlings. Basically, they're just awesome.

Highlights for me so far are Devendra Banhart's stunningly bizarre cover of 'Don't Look Back In Anger', Lowry covering Toto's 'Africa', which may be the most mismatched artist to cover artist link ever. Kaki King covering 'I Think She Knows' by Justin Timberlake and being just as beautifully wonderful as she always has been. Casey Shea doing an acoustic version of 'Chop Suey', Matt Pond PA doing an acoustic version of 'I'm Not Okay', The Mooney Suzuki covering Cher (to which I retract my previous Lowry/Toto statement) and The Concretes doing my second favourite cover of Take That's 'Back For Good' ever.

Basically, I urge you all to sought out these albums, they're odd.

Right I'm not just saying this because I fancy her or anything but Marina & the Diamonds album is like the best new album I've heard since like Midnight Organ Fight or something. Every song is instantly catchy but also has so much more to offer over repeated listens.

Are You Satisfied, Shampain, I Am Not A Robot, Mowgli's Road, Obsessions, Hollywood, Hermit the Frog and Oh No! are all phenomenal, while the other songs on the album are merely very good.

I'm really shocked by this because I was expecting the album to be good, but not this good - especially considering my favourite song of hers (Seventeen) isn't on the album.

Was expecting Frightened Rabbit's album to be my early contender as album of 2010 but it's been overtaken after less than a weak and I can't imagine anything else besting Marina. I do really like the new Frightened Rabbit but I've barely listened to it due to Family Jewels.

I hope I don't come across too gushy when I interview Marina soon. :wub:

Right I'm not just saying this because I fancy her or anything but Marina & the Diamonds album is like the best new album I've heard since like Midnight Organ Fight or something. Every song is instantly catchy but also has so much more to offer over repeated listens.

Are You Satisfied, Shampain, I Am Not A Robot, Mowgli's Road, Obsessions, Hollywood, Hermit the Frog and Oh No! are all phenomenal, while the other songs on the album are merely very good.

I'm really shocked by this because I was expecting the album to be good, but not this good - especially considering my favourite song of hers (Seventeen) isn't on the album.

Was expecting Frightened Rabbit's album to be my early contender as album of 2010 but it's been overtaken after less than a weak and I can't imagine anything else besting Marina. I do really like the new Frightened Rabbit but I've barely listened to it due to Family Jewels.

I hope I don't come across too gushy when I interview Marina soon. :wub:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it as well. Not to the point where I'd say it's beating out Joanna Newsom or anything but it's a very very good pop album indeed with some pretty neat production touches. It's pretty great to see someone I watched with about 30 other people become a big thing.

Saw Tubelord last night. Fucking awesome. Setlist was;

Your Bed Is Kind Of Frightening

He Awoke On A Bench In Abergavenny

Night Of The Pencils

Propeller

Feed Me A Box Of Words

Somewhere Out There A Dog Is On Fire

Cows To The East, Cities To The West

Stacey's Left Arm

NEW SONG (Vessels)

I Am Azerrad

Our First American Friends

Top support was a band called Tall Ships, who continue the Big Scary Monsters tradition of being FUCKING AWESOME. Here's some live videos of them, absolutely unreal live, if you can get to see them, GO! Here's some vids of them;

They were even better than Tubelord, just utterly fantastic.

Yeah, Marina's album is awesome.

+ new Four Year Strong is UNBELIEVABLE!

So, the Shane MacGowan & pals Haiti relief single is as mad and wonderful as I'd hoped for;

Shane MacGowan! Mick Jones hitting a fire extinguisher! Nick Cave dancing! Johnny Depp guitar solo! Bobby Gillespie being a bit shit! Paloma Faith for some reason!

And in other news, Prince's new song is BRILLIANT.

Don't think so, seeing as MiMi Soya still don't even have one yet (the new girl's good, but the new songs just don't interest me) I think we might be waiting a while for one. :(

New Alcoholic Faith Mission and Look Mexico albums have leaked.

Edited by YI

Confirmed line-up for Give It A Name Introduces... tour is;

The Swellers, Anarbor, The Dangerous Summer, Rio and The Wild

Would be there anyway (especially if it's £5 again) for The Swellers, but The Dangerous Summer being on this is awesome, quality band. Don't give a fuck about the rest, I know Rio and The Wild are both British, which is kind of cheating. :shifty:

Edited by YI

It's a tough, tough decision but as of now I'm deciding to forgo seeing Frank Turner, Chuck Ragan and Crazy Arm in favour The School and Allo Darlin'. Crazy Arm are awesome but they'll definitely be back. I've seen a few Chuck songs live, including "The Boat"...and to be fair while I'd like to see him, I'm not really desperate to see a full set by him, especially in the big room at Northumbria union...plus I've already seen "The Boat" for fucks sake. :shifty: I've said I could see Frank Turner churn off the same set multiple times, that's fair enough, but I don't know how much of his new material I'd like to see (I've seen him do "Live Fast, Die Old", "Try This At Home" and "The Road"...he doesn't do "Richard Divine" live...which leaves "Dan's Song" as the only other new song I really like).

So right now I'm leaning towards The School and Allo Darlin'...both delightfully gorgeous and twee and The School have an album coming out around that time. Plus it's like £8 cheaper. I just know I'll change my mind...probably by the morning.

Edited by YI

Apparently I'm interviewing Hot Chip later this month. I don't know a bloody thing about them, and I've never interviewed a "proper" band like that before. Maybe Art Brut interview to come as well, though I should be okay with that one. Any help?