L33t Thread 2010

YI

Okay, I've found out Math The Band actually have 2 earlier albums and 2 EP's...including a cover's EP, which is the most fantastically random thing ever featuring covers of; AC/DC, Blink 182, Atom & His Package, Third Eye Blind, The Aquabuts, the fucking zelda theme, Ace Of Bass and fucking CONVERGE!?!?! It's brilliantly terrible, I love these guys far too much. Bwahahahaha at them consolidating "The Saddest Day" into 19 seconds...hahahahahaa.

Edited by YI

All Bird And The Bee's covers are gorgeous.

Saw All Or Nothing last night, damn good band. Not sure on a setlist but pretty certain they did "A Day At The Stadium", "One Night, Five Stops, Five Hits And A Getaway", "I’m Not Being Rude, But I Could Have Had Your Job", "I Hate Being The Dip Guy", "Don't Do This" and 2/3 others.

Despite going a few times since the refurb (albeit not for gigs), I've just realised they've taken the ledge out the middle of the floor in Trillians, which is cool because it was fucking stupid, but it does mean for gigs of sub-50 people (like last night) with the floor now being bigger, it looks so fucking empty.

The opening band were the most awkward/weird looking group of smoggy lads ever. I desperately wanted to hate them, but the guy who did the clean vocals had one hell of a fucking voice (in a total "ripping off Dallas Green" way, but still one hell of a voice). Can't remember what they were called, trying to find show info, I know it had something to do with Alaska.

Edited by YI

so, i dunno if anyone has heard of this "iamamiwhoami" viral video thing going on YouTube since December, but what I can only assume is the debut single by this.. person, was uploaded earlier tonight.

I'd never heard of this until this morning (where I stumbled on the video elsewhere). It seems like everyone and the fucking dog has been suspected; Aguilera, Goldfrapp, Fever Ray, Lykke Li, Little Boots etc. But from what I've seen everything's now leaning towards Jonna Lee, who's some Swedish singer.

The song's pretty cool, nice and chilled.

Edited by YI

Didn't think much of new Hendrix, to be honest. Admittedly I've only heard bits of it, and not had chance to listen to the whole thing as a whole, but apart from the version of "Fire", nothing has jumped out and grabbed me. Was really disappointed by "Sunshine Of Your Love" - I'd heard a couple of bootlegs that were bad-ass, but the album version is about three times as long, and spends more time aimlessly meandering around the riff without going anywhere or doing anything interesting.

Didn't think much of new Hendrix, to be honest. Admittedly I've only heard bits of it, and not had chance to listen to the whole thing as a whole, but apart from the version of "Fire", nothing has jumped out and grabbed me. Was really disappointed by "Sunshine Of Your Love" - I'd heard a couple of bootlegs that were bad-ass, but the album version is about three times as long, and spends more time aimlessly meandering around the riff without going anywhere or doing anything interesting.

Guitar wankery!? On a Hendrix album? I just don't believe you.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've not stopped listening to Big Star all day. I know they've had a fairly good sized "hipster" following for the last few years, but nothing compared to what they deserve, they were a superb band who only ever really get recognition as an "under-rated" act, nothing like the kind of respect they deserve. "Holocaust" is one of the most beautifully tear-jerking songs I've ever heard.

At least he lived to a reasonable enough age compared to many of his contemporaries, but it's still very sad - I desperately hoped that 2010 wouldn't be quite as bad as 2009 in terms of music deaths, but so far it's been pretty dreadful.

In other sad news, the BBC DJ Charlie Gillett also passed away today...he mostly played on the World Service, but he was amazingly eclectic and very much a DJ of the old school in that he played what he wanted, not what the playlist told him to - anything from South African jazz to Cajun dancehall. Carol Clerk, the editor of Melody Maker in her heyday, passed away recently too...she also wrote a lot of music biographies, including a brilliant one about the Pogues a few years ago...she'd been suffering from breast cancer for some time.

New MGMT album's leaked. I'm not a big fan generally (I just find them massively boring in comparison to similar bands), but "Kids" is a chooon and "Electric Feel" has a brilliant bassline (that gets annoying at 4-minutes :shifty:)...but I know a bunch of you like them, going to give the new album a listen though, fingers crossed.

And "My Friend Chris" by The Menzingers is easily the best song going at the minute. Such an amazing band, can't wait for the new album.

Also news of the day filtering around is that Chuck Ragan has been announcing on his tour with Frank Turner (should have went, but I've see Chuck do "The Boat" and I cannot be arsed to see Frank anymore :shifty:) that he's going to be doing an album with Brian Fallon. Not sure if this is going to be a split album or a collaborative album like the Chuck Ragan/Austin Lucas one.

Edited by YI

I went to the gig at Northumbria Uni and I don't think he mentioned that. Turner did announce they were bringing Revival to the UK though; and that'll be Turner, Ragan and Fallon. He could have said it in between my orgasms though.

Which room was it in Northy? The idea of it being the big one was what put me off, cos I didn't think Chuck would really 'work' there, and as I said, I've basically seen all I want from Frank at this point (besides "Dan's Song", and he's planning on putting a new album out year end though, so that might change). You catch Crazy Arm? Damn good band...grrr I really should have went. :shifty: Was gonna do The School/Allo' Darlin at Head Of Steam, but after getting in from uni I just couldn't be arsed to do owt.

Edited by YI

Saw Chuck at a free show he did after the Leeds gig on Thursday, and I was talking to him afterwards, he told me he'd been writing with Brian for an album, so I'd say it's looking more like being a collaborative one. I could be entirely wrong though, but the most important thing to come out of all this is that Chuck Ragan hugged me. :shifty:

Which room was it in Northy? The idea of it being the big one was what put me off, cos I didn't think Chuck would really 'work' there, and as I said, I've basically seen all I want from Frank at this point (besides "Dan's Song", and he's planning on putting a new album out year end though, so that might change). You catch Crazy Arm? Damn good band...grrr I really should have went. :shifty: Was gonna do The School/Allo' Darlin at Head Of Steam, but after getting in from uni I just couldn't be arsed to do owt.

I almost didn't go because I found out the week before that Two Door Cinema Club were playing in the Other Rooms. Glad I did in the end. It was in Domain, which was the big hall above Habita, and it was completely full. I thought Ragan was awesome, though it was the first time I've seen him live. He looked like he enjoyed himself too.

Unfortunately I only caught the back-end of Crazy Arm because my flatmates where taking so long to get ready, but of the 3 songs I heard they were really good.

New MGMT album's leaked. I'm not a big fan generally (I just find them massively boring in comparison to similar bands), but "Kids" is a chooon and "Electric Feel" has a brilliant bassline (that gets annoying at 4-minutes :shifty:)...but I know a bunch of you like them, going to give the new album a listen though, fingers crossed.

And "My Friend Chris" by The Menzingers is easily the best song going at the minute. Such an amazing band, can't wait for the new album.

Also news of the day filtering around is that Chuck Ragan has been announcing on his tour with Frank Turner (should have went, but I've see Chuck do "The Boat" and I cannot be arsed to see Frank anymore :shifty:) that he's going to be doing an album with Brian Fallon. Not sure if this is going to be a split album or a collaborative album like the Chuck Ragan/Austin Lucas one.

Didn't mention it at Bristol last night. Was bloody brilliant though. Came out for Frank's encore with one of the guys from Crazy Arm (who I fucking missed because apparently Friday gigs start an hour earlier to make way for club night), did the Revival song (not sure what that means, he said something about writing a song for the tour?), no mention of Fallon nor a UK Revival tour though.

Also, a friend played me a new Foals song today, quite slow and quiet for them, liked it though, no idea what's it called, mind.

Hold Your Horse Is are playing a free gig in Bristol on Wednesday and I can't go :(

I only like mgmt because people were always listening to the album when I went to Barcelona a couple of years back so it's a massive nostalgia thing. Doubt I'll feel the same about the new album though I'll give it a listen nonetheless.

On a more important note - new Autechre. wow.

I love MGMT, but last year at Bonnaroo, I couldn't walk a mile in any direction without hearing some campsite blasting "Time to Pretend". It really ruined me on a couple of their songs, but it's good, breezy summer music. I've heard their new album is anything but, which I like. All I've heard so far is "Flash Delerium", but I have the whole album just waiting to be listened to.