L33t Thread 2010

YI

Haha, personally I think "Katherine Wheel" wins the hilariously shitty name competition...because 1) it's not particularly dark sounding, 2) it's just fucking shit...haha.

And welcome back to the jailbait stakes....DIANA VICKERS!!! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWW8JGEnZWw

Edited by YI

So, word is Brand New are going on hiatus at the end of the year after promoting "Daisy"...really shitty. I know one of the guys has a sideproject band which is picking up steam and I reckon Jesse Lacey would be more than happy to try his hand at solo stuff. :( One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Marina and the Diamonds leaked. Quite a good album. I prefer her new songs to the ones that have been around ages, for the most part, and I preferred the original version of "Girls" to the album version (mostly just lyric changes, if you've seen her live in the past 9 months or so, it's that version on the album). One or two songs just seem "there", but there's nothing remotely bad.

The lack of Seventeen is shit though. :(

Just listened now...the new synth that runs all the way through "Shampain" annoys the fuck out of me...still an amazing song, but that synth gets on my tits and makes it sound less like an Abba song. :(

"Mowgli's Road" is still beyond awesome. I'm loving "Hermit The Frog" and full version of "Guilty" and "Numb" the most of the new stuff.

And yeah, just saw the news on Brand New...fuck knows what's going on...there's been all sorts of talk recently from them just releasing digital tracks from now on, to hiatuses, to whatever. Something's definitely up. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Pt.1 of "99 Songs Of Revolution" by Streetlight Manifesto (& co) is out March 22nd. Tracklist is apparently;

Mason Jennings - “Birds Fly Away”

Blur - “Country House”

The Postal Service - “Such Great Heights”

The Squirrel Nut Zippers - “Hell”

Paul Simon - “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard”

Radiohead - “Just”

NOFX - “Linoleum”

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution - “They Provide The Paint for the Picture Perfect Masterpiece That You Will Paint on the Insides of Your Eyelids”

The Dead Milkmen - “Punk Rock Girl”

The Cyrkle - “Red Rubber Ball”

Bad Religion - “Skyscraper”

Louis Jordan - “Troubadour”

Emarosa have a new album soon, and are over here in May. Newcastle Academy 2 on the 25th apparently.

New Bomb The Music Industry! EP is awesome.

So, new Angels & Airwaves album is available for free download - http://modlife.com/angelsandairwaves/lovealbumfueltv

I'm 6-songs in and really, really enjoy it. It has the guitars and stuff of the 2nd album/"The Flight Of Apollo" reminds me a lot of Box Car Racer (with weird spacey shit going on) but musically the songs are more laid back and more like the 1st album, which is awesome.

Four Year Strong are coming over in May/June, no dates announced yet. Start Slam Dunk Fest/Download Fest rumours now. :shifty:

Pt.1 of "99 Songs Of Revolution" by Streetlight Manifesto (& co) is out March 22nd. Tracklist is apparently;

Mason Jennings - "Birds Fly Away"

Blur - "Country House"

The Postal Service - "Such Great Heights"

The Squirrel Nut Zippers - "Hell"

Paul Simon - "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard"

Radiohead - "Just"

NOFX - "Linoleum"

Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution - "They Provide The Paint for the Picture Perfect Masterpiece That You Will Paint on the Insides of Your Eyelids"

The Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl"

The Cyrkle - "Red Rubber Ball"

Bad Religion - "Skyscraper"

Louis Jordan - "Troubadour"

Wut is that? A covers project? A bunch of live songs? and by Streetlight themselves or Streetlight + those bands? >_>

Sounds weird to be producing something like that after a good album of original material :/

Edited by The General

It's a covers project (99 songs, 8-albums, partially done to get themselves out of their Victory Records contract, but the project has been in the works since before there was even a Streetlight Manifesto...I think the idea is apparently 2 albums will be Streetlight Manifesto, 2 albums will be Bandits Of The Acoustic Revolution and the other 4 will be currently unnamed Streetlight offshoot bands.)

I've heard them do "Linoleum" live, it's incredible.

And the Angels & Airwaves album is really, really good. Much like the first album, the 2nd half is where it really comes into its own. "Hallucinations", "The Moon Atomic...", "Soul Survivor...", "Letters To God, Pt.II" and "Some Origins Of Fire" are massive. Really like "Shove", "Young London" and "Epic Holiday" too. Actually, I really like all of it. So much better than the 2nd album.

New Kate Nash song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiSvTyoYVog

Different, but I like it.

Also - http://www.myspace.com/jonahmatranga

ADORING this bloke at the minute. Playing here in June too. :)

Speaking of June shows, if you want tickets for the UK Gaslight Anthem dates, I'd get them now, they're selling out ridiculously fast (I believe standing in London has already gone and Glasgow's sold out and now been upgraded).

Edited by YI

After initial panic that Gaslight had sold out Glasgow, it appears tickets are still on sale, hopefully they are by Monday when I get paid as I need tickets to see them again.

I've got Los Campesinos! on Wednesday too, need to find out where the Bongo Club is first though and Frank Turner next month.

I need to get more gigs and music for that matter, I appear to be out of the loop. I haven't listened to anybody "new" in ages. :(

Although I quite like the new Angels and Airwaves album, got it this morning and I've been pleasently surprised.

ADORING this bloke at the minute. Playing here in June too. :)

Saw him years ago as onelinedrawing, weird mix of support acts and headliners though, onelinedrawing, then Million Dead, The Haunted and Funeral For a Friend headlining. Wonderful, he was the bloke from Far, wasn't he?

Yeah, Jonah Matranga is the guy from Far.

And here's stuff I like from the Bonnaroo list of bands you posted in the thread I like;

Against Me!

Blitzen Trapper

Calexico

Chromeo w/ Daryl Hall

Dan Deacon Ensemble

The Dead Weather

Deadmau5

The Dodos

Dropkick Murphys

The Flaming Lips (w/ Stardeath and White Dwarfs) performing Dark Side of the Moon

The Gaslight Anthem

GWAR

Here We Go Magic

Japandroids

Jay-Z

Kings of Leon

Ingrid Michaelson

Isis

LCD Soundsystem

Les Claypool

Local Natives

Lucero

Manchester Orchestra

Miike Snow

Mumford & Sons

The National

Norah Jones

Phoenix

Regina Spektor

Rise Against

She & Him

Stevie Wonder

They Might Be Giants

Weezer

And I'd be probably looking forward to Lucero, GWAR and The National the most.

Unknown? Where the hell have you been?

(I haven't actually looked at the line-up, I just feel that saying this will make me more l33t)

No, it just makes you more of a douchebag.

What are the bands that I really need to look out for at Bonnaroo, YI? Alot of those acts will conflict with each other most likely. I know I HAVE to make it to the Dan Deacon show, I've heard nothing but awesome things about his live shows. And She & Him is top priority for me already, along with Jay-Z & GWAR.