L33t Thread 2010

YI

whatever. I don't pay attention to Pitchfork because it's even worse than NME and they don't provide a magazine for me to flick through on my lunchbreak so I don't actually know who they like.

See, I don't think it's particularly outstanding myself but I fail to see how it could be described as a bad album, because there isn't anything notably "bad" in it.

And you get a lot of people going OH THEY STOLE FROM PAUL SIMON. But so what? It's not like Paul Simon invented world music or anything. Sting did. >_>

• Like 1

...I do like Scooter. :/ In a weird...reminds me of being like 12 way.

And your comment loses all credibility given the fact some of my favourite albums are some of the most laid back, morose sounding shit you'll come across.

Honestly, there is no way anyone can defend the hot mess that is Contra. Seriously. I listened to it with a few friends and we thought half way through that maybe somehow we accidentally downloaded the wrong album it was that boring and bad. And it's not even bad in a "so bad, it's good" type way. But hey, different strokes for different folks, maybe lots of people like the album and I'm sniffing glue.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Oh and I was really aiming for it to come across as being credible too. Oh noooooo. :(

It is because you do not like anything that isn't 180BPM gruff vocals FUCK YEAH music or 2BPM bands with a whale as a lead singer. You are a man of extremes.

Kind of a dumb comment there, I think YI's shown he's into a fuckload of varied stuff, and whilst I don't go for everything he's into...Scooter for example, he's dug up some pretty interesting and obscure shit I probably wouldn't have gotten hold of otherwise. Bit pointless attacking him for not liking one album. For what it's worth, I think Vampire Weekend are utter toss and don't understand the hype whatsoever, definitely seems to be one of those NME/Pitchfork jizzfest things.

• Like 1

Oh and I was really aiming for it to come across as being credible too. Oh noooooo. :(

It is because you do not like anything that isn't 180BPM gruff vocals FUCK YEAH music or 2BPM bands with a whale as a lead singer. You are a man of extremes.

Kind of a dumb comment there, I think YI's shown he's into a fuckload of varied stuff, and whilst I don't go for everything he's into...Scooter for example, he's dug up some pretty interesting and obscure shit I probably wouldn't have gotten hold of otherwise. Bit pointless attacking him for not liking one album. For what it's worth, I think Vampire Weekend are utter toss and don't understand the hype whatsoever, definitely seems to be one of those NME/Pitchfork jizzfest things.

what's your point?

because, unbelievable as it may seem I don't care if he likes Vampire Weekend or not and I wasn't being entirely serious.

Jay Reatard has died. I'm amazed he was only 29, to be honest, seems like he's been around forever - he was 14 when The Reatards started - but fuck, that's far too young. It's been a shitty few weeks for this, and I really...wow, I genuinely thought it was a joke when I saw it on somebody's Facebook status, but obviously it's not.

Jay Reatard has died. I'm amazed he was only 29, to be honest, seems like he's been around forever - he was 14 when The Reatards started - but fuck, that's far too young. It's been a shitty few weeks for this, and I really...wow, I genuinely thought it was a joke when I saw it on somebody's Facebook status, but obviously it's not.

Let me add my sadness here. Fuck, man. That new album was a bit too...I don't know for my tastes, but Singles 06-07 and Matador Singles were phenomenal compilations and he was a wonderful wonderful man. You guys should check those records out, especially if you need more fast-paced garage punk in your life.

Not massive on Jay Reatard, but it's always a shame when someone so young dies.

In some better news. "Cut And Paste" by Spraynard is an absolutely terrific album. Already listened to it a few times this morning. "Stickin' Together Is What Good Waffles Do", "Take Your Shoes Off, Thank My Mom", "The 'Z' Sealed It For Me", "Ruth Buzzi Better Watch Her Back", "Say What You Want About Jesse..." and "Damn Julie, Damn" are MASSIVE tunes. For fans of stuff like Latterman, Get Bent, The Cut-Ups, OK Pilot, The Falcon, Banner Pilot etc.

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE

Also got hold of new Besnard Lakes, Motion City Soundtrack, Hot Chip and Have Gun Will Travel. Haven't had a chance to listen yet though.

In an interview with Express Night Out, Brian Fallon of the Gaslight Anthem revealed that the title of the band's upcoming full length will be American Slang. The frontman of the popular New Jersey-based group explained what fans can expect from the record:

There are no names and none of the old stuff. I feel like I've said a lot of what I had to say about that old stuff. I'm moving on. ... ['American Slang'] is a hyper-literal album. These stories are coming out of my life and the reflections on the things I've gotten as I've gotten older. It's more autobiographical, definitely more direct. Not so shrouded in mystery. I'm not trying to confuse anyone with a trail of images on this one.

The album, which follows up 2008's The ’59 Sound, is set for a June 15th release.

No names? No old stuff? What the fuck is it going to sound like if they can't make random references to old singers, rip off old songs and say "Maria" every 16 seconds?

STICKING TOGETHER IS WHAT GOOD WAFFLES DO. Epic track title.

I'm going to say it again and again till it sticks, Tinie Tempah is gonna be big this year.

And I'm a little apprehensive for new TGA. It needs references to Tom Petty and mentioning Maria all the time. I'm sure it'll be good because I always love Fallons stuff, but... man... may as well be a different band if they aren't gonna rip off stuff ¬_¬

New Crime In Stereo song - http://www.myspace.com/crimeinstereo

"Drugwolf", it's fucking awesome...and their transition into "Deja Entendu" era Brand New is complete. :shifty:

They've got a couple of one-off (well two-off :shifty:) dates in London soon, but I doubt I'll go...would really like to catch one of their headline shows though (I ditched them in favour of The New Amsterdams, did catch them opening for NFG though), hoping for a tour sometime soon.

Also, you can download the awesome debut EP from Fashanu, "Science Is Awesome" - http://www.archive.org/details/Fashanu-ScienceIsAwesome

...so they put it up for free after I finally get around to fucking buying it. :shifty:

Also a new Joey Cape song -

Edited by YI

Sod it, I'm actually excited for the new Alkaline Trio record...actually, excited. Heard 3-new songs. "This Addiction" and "The American Scream" are catchy as hell, very "From Here To Infirmary", "Off The Map" (which is a Dan song) is more chill and a bit more like the "Crimson" stuff (verse reminds me of "I Was A Prayer"), they're a little Alkaline Trio by numbers, but all three of them are better than the best song on the last album.

New Laura Marling song - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/video/2010/jan/19/laura-marling-devil-spoke

LOVE IT! :D Album's out 22nd of March.

Gorillaz 3rd album will be out the 8th of March and the first single will be released for airplay next Monday apparently.

Edited by YI