PSN Death

Nimrodic

Apparently the PSN is down for some reason or another and it isn't letting people play DLC or games that involves syncing trophies(such as Heavy Rain). I'm just glad that it isn't a hardware thing as it seems to be happening to everyone.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I was coming in here to be all like 'lol whut' but it's true. :(

edit: okay, no, it came up with an error... then just let me continue as normal. I'll try this out on an actual game instead of DLC and report back.

Apparently it's to do with the actual systems, as the slim PS3's are fine, but the older models, whether online or offline, are having problems.

I read that so long as you had the trophies synced, you shouldn't lose any, but I wouldn't recommend playing any games until it's sorted.

It has effected everyone with an old PS3 apparently, people that were offline and online were both effected.

The worst part of this (for me) is that I recently purchased four new PS3 games and tonight was my first chance to put some actual time into playing them. sad.gif

Found this on another forum but the guy didn't link to the original source

Everyone READ THIS PLEASE.

Here's what's going on right now: something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. This clock is NOT related to the OS clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time.

Does this affect me?

-If you have a Slim PS3, you're good to go. Continue playing it as normal.

-If you have a "fat" PS3, you may be affected. Some fat PS3s have worked ok, but it seems a good majority have been bugged.

What does this bug mean?

-If affected, your date and time has been set to a random past date. This prevents you from signing into PSN, playing any PSN games, or using any DLC. Your trophies will also not display correctly or be able to sync.

How do I fix it?

-You can't. Even if you don't sign into PSN, it won't help. This is a hardware issue.

So, what do I do?

-Wait 24 hours. Other products that have had similar bugs have corrected themselves after the "bugged" day. On Monday around 6pm central time, all PS3s will automatically correct themselves...maybe.

-If that doesn't work, we'll need a firmware update from Sony, which should be a pretty important priority for them right now.

Did I lose my data/themes/etc?

Your save data/games/dlc/themes are fine. They'll be fixed when the PS3 is fixed. Trophies are uncertain right now, but they'll be fine if you've synced them before the PS3 was bugged. Unsynced trophies are an unknown right now.

Was going to buy Heavy Rain today because I hadn't touched my PS3 in a few weeks..kinda glad I didn't now

Heh my console YLOD'ed again on Friday (after a very good run since December in which I played it to death) and I WAS going to fix it Sunday but watched the Tottenham game instead. So glad I didn't now! I won't rush to fix it until I know the problem is sorted.

• Admin

Lost my Heavy Rain trophies last night, thought it was a Corrupted save so deleted everything. Being offline at the moment, I didn't know about this until this morning. Damn calendar bugs :(

I've only earned 3 or 4 HR trophies so far and when I checked this morning, they were still there.

Can we play any games offline at all or is there a risk of losing trophies for those games if we do?

EDIT: An article on the PCWorld site.

What could simultaneously bring down Sony's PlayStation Network worldwide and make it impossible for millions of gamers to play single-player games like Heavy Rain, Bayonetta, and BioShock 2?

Hackers? A terrorist attack? CIA black ops? Full-scale alien invasion?

Think stupider. Like: A requirement that players synchronize trophy information with Sony's online servers in order to play trophy-based games.

Late Sunday night, Sony's PlayStation Network experienced a problem that garbled its trophy sync process, which sounds harmless at first blush. You don't need trophies synchronized to actually play a game, right? After all, Microsoft's Xbox 360 doesn't require achievement synchronization to play games.

Well it seems Sony's PlayStation Network suddenly does, because last night's glitch prevents you from playing trophy-using games whether you're offline or online.

I had a taste firsthand this morning. I slipped a review copy of Final Fantasy XIII into my debug PS3 and, after the Square Enix logo flashed, received the following error message:

Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit. (8001050F)

Cue drop to PS3 XMB menu and a few repeat attempts with other games like Heavy Rain and White Knight Chronicles to verify the issue had to be something bigger than a local ISP glitch.

A quick scan for the error code online turned up a rash of users complaining about the same error, including this story by our own Japan-based Martyn Williams confirming that yes, indeed, there's Big Trouble in Not-So-Little Sony-land.

For the record, the problem only affects original pre-"slim" model PS3s, including "fat" debug units.

Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and the recent God of War duology reissue work fine, presumably because they don't use trophies (MGS4) or don't require the preliminary trophy sync (God of War).

About eight hours ago, Sony posted this to its PlayStation Twitter feed:

"We're aware that many of you are having problems connecting to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it. Stay tuned for updates."

That was followed about five hours ago with this:

"PSN status update: We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them."

And shortly after that, this:

"PSN status update (part 2): Readers/followers are confirming that "slim" units (120/250 GB models) are connecting normally."

Stand by for further updates. Presumably the trophy-sync "requirement" isn't really (required) and Sony will have things back to normal shortly, allowing you to play offline (Ethernet unplugged, wireless disabled) at leisure.

UPDATE: It seems the issue has something to do with a hardware date reset to 12/31/99 (per my own "fat" retail and debug units) that occurred with the February 28 to March 1 turnover, even though this wasn't a leap year. I say 'hardware', because it's reportedly happening whether you've gone online with your PS3 or not.

It's not the first time the error's occurred. Run a date-filtered Google search on error code '8001050F' and you'll see it popping up time and again. Sounds like we'll either need a 24 hour cycle or a firmware update to see this fixed (and no, manually setting the correct time and date doesn't fix the issue).

UPDATE 2: Wondering whether Sony could remotely patch an issue that prevents connecting to the PlayStation Network? I assume the firmware update process works discretely, since clicking 'System Update' generates a standard "There is no need to update" message and not an error.

Edited by Baddar