PSN Death

Nimrodic

Yea, apparently a DIY fix is to open your PS3, void the warrenty and remove the BIOS battery and leave it out for 5-10 minutes. It'll reset the BIOS clock and you'll be fine. Not saying I'm gonna do it...

Sitting in the silent room,

Their clocks were ticking still,

But ‘neath their High-Def Bravias,

Their consoles breathing nil.

‘Cos money buys you games to play,

And laughter with some mates,

They’ve said ‘it just does everything’,

Yet it can't keep track of dates.

• Like 2

You might be interested in reading this http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=927750&topic=53710360

I have been reading all the responses and claims people have been making about the error all over the internetWhat people have managed to establish so far is the following:

The PS3 has two clocks

A system clock

And a OS clock

When you boot your PS3 up, the system clock says (or should say), "Its March 01 2010, set yourself as March 01 2010 mr OS"

The system clock is always running and never stops, even when your PS3 is off, it has a backup battery and recharges when your PS3 is on

Basically, it runs 24/7 counting upwards

The clock can not be altered by software or by hacking it and it only counts upwards

NOW, the system clock thinks theres a Feb 29th, so instead of rolling over to March 1st, it went over to Feb 29th and now when it tries to compare the system clock with the OS clock when you load your PS3 up, the OS clock thinks, "woooooaaahh, **bleep** is going on here" and it sets it to 1999

PS3 models affected:

CECHA01 - affected

CECHE01 - affected

CECHG01 - affected

CECHH01 - affected

CECHK01 - affected

CECHL01 - not affected

CECHP01 - not affected

Now, theres two solutions:

A. Kill the system clock so it restarts (you do this by taking the battery out in your PS3 + void your warranty)

B. Wait till March 2nd and hope that the clock fliks over to March 1st

Now the above is what everyone is talking about on the internet, but from my knowledge, I can tell you we are possibly looking at a mass recall by Sony

Why? Because as I said the system clock only counts UPWARDS and never downwards

And it is fully protected, even if Sony came to your house and done a hypervisor call on your PS3 to reset your clock, it wouldn't work

The ONLY way to reset the clock is to take out the battery, thus, voiding your warranty

Firmware update would also resolve NOTHING because its not a software issue, the software is perfect, its a hardware issue

Even if Sony worked some miracle and brought out an update, 50% of PS3 users don't even have internet access, or no internet on their PS3's, so how will they update? USB? Game disc?

The fact of the matter is Sony is in great trouble, they don't know where they are going to end up after this

So what WILLSony do?

Easy answer, wait until 12:01AM GMT (the system clock runs in GMT no matter what timezone you are in) and hope that the system clock fliks over to March 1st

But what if it fliks over to February 30th?

Then Sony will have no choice but to do a recall, because as explained before it is unpatchable and there is no working solution unless you void your warranty

So it looks like we will all have PS3 Slims with no backwards compatibility and no linux and we will have no gaming in our living rooms for the next 3 months

All thanks to Sony Computer Entertainment

Brilliant Sony, you really outdid yourselves this time

Not to mention the hundreds of court cases they'll have to go through

Imagine if you had bought a PS3 on February 28th

And then the next day, BAM, its a useless media player

In fairness, it's summed the situation up into the basic idea that everyone thinks it is.

The big problem is that Sony are telling people to NOT TURN ON THEIR PS3s... now, if it was just a simple hardware problem then surely the advice would be to wait it out.

It sounds an awful lot like damage control :(

In fairness, it's summed the situation up into the basic idea that everyone thinks it is.

The big problem is that Sony are telling people to NOT TURN ON THEIR PS3s... now, if it was just a simple hardware problem then surely the advice would be to wait it out.

It sounds an awful lot like damage control :(

No, it's really not what "everyone" thinks it is, I don't know, nor does anyone else besides Sony, know what is within the PS3's hardware and software (it only got cracked within the last month or so), we don't have a single clue whether it can be patched or not, but if Sony has identified the problem and has declared they are now working on a patch I'd choose to believe them over some random internet dude who just wants to bitch about a big corporation making a mistake.

It's stuff like that from people who believe themselves to be 'in the know' that we don't need right now, The General. Why post something like that? There's only two things that could come from it... 1, it's wrong, Sony fixes the problem at a later date and you'd have worried everyone for nothing, or 2, it's somehow correct and you've done nothing by posting this other than pissing people off a whole lot sooner than they would have been.

In short, all posting that is doing is making people worried more than they already are for their very expensive PS3's. hmm.gif

edit: I know it's old news, but this made me chuckle.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JGqs2VZYpSk

edit 2: just to let everyone know, I've been using my PS3 for playing .avi files off of a USB stick and so far I've not run in to any problems, so I'd assume the 'TURN OFF PS3' warning is more to do with not playing games.

• Like 1

Plug in a USB stick, go to saved data utility, triangle copy. Though some are inexplicably locked mind you i.e Heavy Rain, coincidentally the only file I really want to keep, well aside from my madden Rams franchise, which is already safely off my timebomb waiting to detonate.