UFC News and Discussion Thread

Rob Yundt Vs. Ricardo Almeida

Yundt had three days notice for this fight as the original opponent was very very sick and couldn't fight.

Almeida hasn't fought in four years. When he left he had a four game win streak.

Yundt is 7-0 in MMA action and this is his UFC debut. He has won his last three fights by TKO.

Fight over...Almeida wins with a arm in guitine.

Edited by Wahoo Vendetta

Fight #8:

-Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir

Round 1: Kurt Angle and The Undertaker were both shown on screen with name labels to the live and PPV audience as both fighters were in the cage before the introductions. Now they just showed "Stone Cold" Steve Austin with a beer in his hand. Crowd cheered big for Austin. Bruce Buffer announces, with great passion, "the former WWE superstar - Brock Lesnar!" Now Sable is shown on screen. And it's time for round one. Lesnar immediately takes Mir down and has half guard. Lesnar is throwing short punches with furry. Ref breaks the two - apparently Lesnar loses a point for hitting Mir in the back of the head. No warning before the point deduction. Restart on the feet and Lesnar drops Mir with a big punch to the face. Lesnar goes berzerk on the ground with punches. Mir slaps on an armbar, but Lesnar escapes. Lesnar stands up and Mir grabs a leg and locks in a leg lock - Lesnar taps out!

Frank Mir def. Brock Lesnar via Submission (kneebar) at 1:30 of Round 1.

That and UFC isn't like boxing..you just don't pay for the main event. You pay for the entire fucking card..because out of the 8 matches or so that they have 6 out of 8 are going to fucking rock.

Not to mention this was Lesnar's second MMA match. Maybe he should have picked a weaker opponent.

Edited by Wahoo Vendetta

Sorry to double post, but I just re-watched the fight and noticed that when the fight is brought back to their feet Lesnar is indeed landing face shots, the head shots were over.

EDIT* Shit, I would have stopped the fight a few times before the hold was even applied. Lesnar murdered Mir.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

If he wins that fight by stoppage either of his two takedown/G&Ps he goes into his next fight overconfident and gets his shit ruined.

I'm not happy he lost, naturally, but it couldn't have come out better for the UFC. Lesnar comes in, dominates and still loses so Mir remains a contender instead of a has-been. I'll say this though, if Mir doesn't roll over and get the Hammer of God-fist into the back of his head, that fight's over right there.

To me, Brock's punches (when Mir was on his back) looked incredibly weak and undisciplined. Also, he looked kind of not sure of what to do when Mir was down and to me, you could see the wheels turning in his head and him thinking "Okay, what do I do next?" Him outwrestling his opponent and his lack of experience in striking is what I thought would happen. But then again, I'm a pretty novice UFC fan.

Also, I was at a Buffalo Wild Wings, The Undertaker got a huge reaction and the place went BATSHIT INSANE when Brock got caught and tapped.

Did anybody else feel like he got a little cautious after the point deduction? Like once Mir started to roll away from him after the takedown he seemed to soften up, and when he was up and Mir was down he was really hesitant to do anything.

The point deduction was pretty shit anyways, since Mir was turning away from him on the ground. If I'm ever and MMA fighter I'm just going to approach my opponents backwards so they get points taken off until they're DQ'd.

I'm not even sure if you could call them punches when they were on the mat, he was more just hitting him with the bottom of his hand like an over-excited playground bully. It actually may have suited Lesnar to keep the fight standing up, because he took him down with ease and rocked him with that one punch.

He'll learn and I still think he can become a sucess, as long as his heart remains in it.

I'm not even sure if you could call them punches when they were on the mat, he was more just hitting him with the bottom of his hand like an over-excited playground bully. It actually may have suited Lesnar to keep the fight standing up, because he took him down with ease and rocked him with that one punch.

He'll learn and I still think he can become a sucess, as long as his heart remains in it.