UFC News and Discussion Thread

I think I should touch up on a few things here.

On the subject of Lesnar vs Mir, I think everybody is a little disillusioned. Mir is, quite frankly, one of the best fighters UFC has to offer. He has amazing skills and would've been dominating to this day had it not been for his accident. Lesnar has gotten better, this is true. However, Mir has a tremendous experience advantage over him and the pysch-out mental advantage over him not only with the fact that Lesnar's already lost to him, but Mir has a way with words that can easily get you to not concentrate on the fight and rather just want to pummel the living shit out of him. I'm going against the grain here and saying that Mir's "fake title" as Lesnar put it will become a real one tonight.

Bisping vs. Henderson: Bisping's a Brit, Henderson's a washed-up former PRIDE star.

What does this even mean? Bisping's a Brit? Give the man some more credit than that. He has single handedly been putting MMA fighting on the map for the UK since his run on the Ultimate Fighter even getting people like Rampage Jackson to come train in his place in England. And what makes Henderson washed up? Since coming from PRIDE he is 2-2 and his losses were against the unstoppable Anderson Silva and Rampage Jackson. His 2 wins came from decision which means he can still go three rounds easy and get the upper hand.

Fitch vs. Thiago: The winner of this fight will be in the upper echelon of the 170 division, mainly because Fitch managed to survive a fight with GSP.

Once again, give Fitch some credit. The guy is an incredible fighter and deserves more recognition than he gets. I think you're blinded by the fact that GSP is such a big hit in Canada to say that Fitch "survived" a fight against him. If Fitch can take what he learned in his fight against GSP I bet he can take him down quite a few pegs.

Dong-Hyun Kim vs. TJ Grant: Kim is a Korean who is undefeated but does not appear to be a great fighter, Grant is a Canadian submission wizard.

Hey look once again with the Canada love. What makes Kim not a great fighter? He's undefeated for a reason. 4 decision victories, 1 submission victory, and 6 KO's later what does it take to be considered a great fighter?

People should watch this show tonight and see what UFC has to offer because it has some incredible fighters with incredible abilities. If you haven't taken the time to get into UFC, there is no better card to start with.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

"Bisping's a Brit" was why EWBers (mostly British) should be interested in him. Henderson didn't look impressive against Franklin, and I've never thought Franklin was as good as his hype. Bisping's going to win this one easily. :P

And I didn't mean to be coming off sounding CANADA :D CANADA :D. Fitch *is* a great fighter, hence why he got the shot against GSP and has dominanted almost every other match he's been in. Thiago's undefeated. Whoever wins this match is possibly next in line for a title shot, not sure how that seems like I'm talking them down.

And Kim did not look very impressive against Parisyan, which is why he's overrated. I really don't trust victories from smaller/local feds as proof of anything, be they in Korea, the US, or yes, even Canada. (Grant has a huge string of wins by submissions, which is why I called him a submission wizard. Doesn't mean it'll be a 90-second tapout or anything.)

Kim is going to outclass Grant tonight quite easily, imo. And Henderson is far from "washed-up" in his UFC fights --- 2-2 as pointed out and in those two losses were a close decision to Rampage that was a great fight and he won the first round vs. Anderson before getting caught by that knee and then ultimately choked out. That's hardly washed-up.

"Bisping's a Brit" was why EWBers (mostly British) should be interested in him. Henderson didn't look impressive against Franklin, and I've never thought Franklin was as good as his hype. Bisping's going to win this one easily. :P

Bisping will win, but Henderson is not gonna make it easy for him unless Bisping launches out of the gate and surprises him. Henderson doesn't finish fights, he draws them out. Bisping will be gassed by the third.

And Kim did not look very impressive against Parisyan, which is why he's overrated. I really don't trust victories from smaller/local feds as proof of anything, be they in Korea, the US, or yes, even Canada. (Grant has a huge string of wins by submissions, which is why I called him a submission wizard. Doesn't mean it'll be a 90-second tapout or anything.)

I don't think you've seen enough of Kim to say that he's overrated. The guy is damn good. The fact is, he may not have looked impressive to you, but he went the distance against Karo Parisyan. The same Karo Parisyan whose only losses are to those at the top of the division: Thiago Alves, Sean Sherk, Diego Sanchez, and GSP. Granted, Karo is the same as Henderson in that they drag out fights and don't finish them as of late, early in his career he could submit you with his eyes closed. Avoiding submission from Karo is a step above a lot of other fighters. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what Kim can do.

I am going to have to agree with LL. If Mir is still in the shape and mind he was against Nogueira, Lesnar is going to have his hands full. I am not saying Mir is going to totally dominate Lesnar because frankly that is probably impossible but since that win I have rooted for Mir because he is just that good. I might not be the most knowledgable guy ever on MMA but I do know that Mir is fucking talented, moreso than Lesnar.

Edited by OphidiSRN

I am going to have to agree with LL. If Mir is still in the shape and mind he was against Nogueira, Lesnar is going to have his hands full. I am not saying Mir is going to totally dominate Lesnar because frankly that is probably impossible but since that win I have rooted for Mir because he is just that good. I might not be the most knowledgable guy ever on MMA but I do know that Mir is fucking talented, moreso than Lesnar.

Grab some pictures of yesterday's weigh-ins. Mir was in the best shape of his life.

Grab some pictures of yesterday's weigh-ins. Mir was in the best shape of his life.

Warez'd the weigh-ins earlier, and yeah Mir was looking fantastic. Still giving up quite some pounds to Lesnar but I don't think that will play that big of a factor, definetely not if Mir can just keep up the pace from his Nogueira fight.

Was planning on watching this as I've waited months for this, but I don't think I can manage to keep myself up till 6am, so I'll watch the entire thing in the morning.

Cant wait to see Lesnar/Mir and personally I think it's one of the most unpredictable fights in a long time. Part of me can picture Lesnar destroying him in the first round, but another part of me can see Mir shocking a lot of people and taking Lesnar to the cleaners. For the first time, I'm not really sure who I want to win. I'm not a HUGE fan of Brock, but him losing could be a bad thing. While I really like Mir as well, but I don't think him losing will do as much damage as Brock losing. I'd love them to pull out a shocker and go passed two rounds, because it seems nobody actually believes this can make it past the second round (and rightfully so I guess).

Also, hoping for a performance from Bisping. Takes way too much stick from some people at times and hopefully he can prove once again that he's actually one heck of a fighter (Y)

My bold predictions

Brock by TKO. Nog was bound to get put to sleep hard eventually. His whole career has been based on taking a beating and making the miraculous comeback. The elastic band is pretty worn out now.

Mir's stand up is very polished, but I can't see him being able to get inside and land flush as easily against Brock, not with the physical threats Lesnar presents. Mir is talking about how Lesnar can't just stand there in front of him, I think it's Mir that has to worry about that. Brock isn't going to keep this a squared up in the center of the cage, Mir needs to keep the outside otherwise he is gong to get tied up and Brock is going to dominate the position game until he gets what he wants.

It looks like Frank has the ability to outclass Lesnar on the feet, but he can't be as brash with his flashy combos as he was against a broken down Nog. I'm sure Brock is just wait for Frank to get cocky with a couple head kicks, then come in with a huge goring takedown.

GSP by TKO. GSP is a master of timing and execution. There is no doubt in anybody's mind Alves wants this standing up and GSP being GSP, always getting better and excelling in the big fight atmosphere, will have a well formulated game plan to get the win. Alves needs to catch GSP, hurt him, and just punish him relentlessly. He's going have to chop Georges down like a tree if he wants the win.

Hendo by KO. Bisping will be the quicker step, but Dan will wear him out and bully him. I'd say TKO, but I can picture Dan coming out for the third round and planting Bisping on the button with his hook or uppercut.

Fitch by UD. *Edit: missed this... er, Fitch wins. Yay?

Belcher by UD. Mild upset special! Akiyama starts stong, but if Belcher weathers it I can see him gutting out a three round decision.

Bonnar by sub. Poor Coleman. Bonnar is too tactical for the cumbersome Rusty Hammer.

Danzig by sub. I like Miller's heart. He's powerful and aggressive, but I think he's a little too vanilla for Danzig not to pull something out. Mac cannot afford to lose, so he will be looking for a stoppage for sure.

Jones by UD. Two powerful dudes. Jones just happens to be the more dynamic and is due to break out huge soon. It's destiny for Jones to take the dominate win.

Grant by UD. Who's up for a big ol' Canadian Bandwagon ride!?! I don't trust Asians fighting on North American soil. Especially for the first time. They tend to disappoint IMO.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy