things that ruin otherwise good songs

METALMAN

I hate Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen because he keeps going ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH and URGHHHHH in the background.

If it wasn't for that I'd really like it because it is a good melody and a nice sound and good lyrics.

Have you heard Hank Williams III's version? Bloody love it.

Bruce tends to make weird noises during songs that kind of take me out of it. Especially when you see live footage and he's just gurning. Worst for that is when he's playing with Roy Orbison during the Black & White Night concert and he just stands next to him the whole time grimacing.

The god damn fucking handclaps and spooky sound effects (sound effects mostly) in "Lost & Rendered" by Alkaline Trio. One of the limited few shining moments on "Agony & Irony" fucking made shitty by sodding faux-eeriness.

The spoken word shit in "Holiday" by Green Day. Kills what's honestly a pretty good song otherwise. Also the deep breaths in the chorus of "Girl" by The Beatles.

There are a lot of mid-late career Leonard Cohen songs that drive me crazy because he starts going "fuck yeah, synthesizer." "Take This Waltz" is one--it's a really nice song, but trying to go orchestral on a friggin' keyboard just doesn't do it for me.

Not all of them are bad, though--I can't imagine "First We Take Manhattan" and "Democracy" any other way.

Edited by Sousa

Just thought that when I hear "Little Lion Man"'s chorus censored, it ruins the atmosphere for me completely.

Tom DeLonge

YES. If you've ever heard "I miss you" when he comes in with the second verse, it sounds like he is completely bored of the song and doing his best Snake Jailbird impression instead.

The spoken word shit in "Holiday" by Green Day. Kills what's honestly a pretty good song otherwise.

Never heard that, are you thinking of Good Riddance? That definitely does in between the opening guitar sounds.

Oh and conversely, the bit in "Diamonds In The Mine" where Leonard Cohen says THERE AIN'T NO CHOCLATS IN THEIR BOWAAAAAAXES ANYMORE makes a good song great.

The brass section in the last 10 seconds of 'Burma Shave' by Tom Waits sends shivers down my spine every single time.

There are a lot of mid-late career Leonard Cohen songs that drive me crazy because he starts going "fuck yeah, synthesizer." "Take This Waltz" is one--it's a really nice song, but trying to go orchestral on a friggin' keyboard just doesn't do it for me.

That reminds me of that bit in Tubular Bells where Mike Oldfield says the names of all the instruments. That was silly.

TUUUUUUUUBULAR BELLS~!

But yeah, a lot of Cohen's stuff is ruined by the orchestration. Some of his songs that could have been his best are ruined by a shitty drum machine. If you listen to Nick Cave doing "I'm Your Man", that's how that song always should have sounded.

And now for reasons I don't quite understand, I have "Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On" stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, guys.

This isn't for one specific song at all... but man, nothing ruins a song for me more than radio-friendly editing. Even if they only mute the vocal track, or replace the original word with something else.