The 2010 Summer transfer thread

Xavi has said that he will "for certain" be playing "alongside" Fabregas next season.

Of course, this means fuck all.

Xavi to Arsenal! :w00t:

Joe Cole is clearly of to United now and it's really the best move possible for him. There he ets to start on a regular basis, play Champions League football and have an excellent chance of winning every competition. If he is off there, it's a brillian piece of business on United's end too.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Joe Cole is off to Arsenal. There were some rumors about that a couple of days ago but it died down. If it turns out to be true then it'll be a good signing for Arsenal.

I thought the thing with Dzeko was that he had a clause in his contract that expired on the Monday that would let him go for £36m... and that Man City were waiting until that deadline passed so that they could make a smaller offer for him.

Either that or they have bought him and can't announce him until July 1st due to the German transfer laws

Cardiff City are apparently singing every Welsh player under the sun with their new Malaysian Money.

Danny Gabbidon, Simon Davies and of all people Craig Bellamy being linked. Makes you wonder why they can't keep hold of Joe Ledley doesn't it. Oh look there's some salt to pinch...

Wolves will apparently complete the signing of Steven Fletcher from Burnley for £7m in the next 48 hours. I can understand them buying him but £7m? He's worth nowhere near that.

Also, Carlton Cole is being linked to pretty much everyone. I hope to god we (Villa) don't get him. I'm still getting over his lazy, half-assed spell he had here on-loan when he was younger.

• Like 1

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been offered a severance deal to leave Anfield, BBC Sport understands.

Benitez led the club to Champions League glory in 2005 but could only guide the Reds to seventh place in the Premier League last season.

The 50-year-old has been linked with a move to Inter Milan, with the Italian giants looking for a coach following Jose Mourinho's move to Real Madrid.

Benitez's agent has said he will speak with the Spaniard on Thursday.

Agent Manuel Garcia Quilon said: "We don't know anything more than what's being said.

"We're not saying anything."

Liverpool declined to comment on the rumours on Wednesday.

It is believed that it would cost the club about £16m to pay off Benitez, who joined Liverpool in June 2004.

But reports on Wednesday suggested the club was discussing a compromise compensation package worth £3m.

As well as the 2005 Champions League triumph, Benitez also steered Liverpool to the European Super Cup in 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006.

They enjoyed an impressive Premier League campaign in 2008-09, finishing as runners-up, four points behind champions Manchester United having lost just two games all season.

But they were hugely inconsistent last season, losing 11 times in the league and exiting the Champions League in the group stages. They dropped into the Europa League and reached the semi-finals where they lost to Atletico Madrid.

Several of Benitez's first-team squad have recently been linked with summer moves, including captain Steven Gerrard, Argentine midfielder Javier Mascherano and star forward Fernando Torres.

Benitez had suggested he would require in excess of £50m to put the club back in contention for the Champions League places, never mind the Premier League title.

Co-owner Tom Hicks recently said Benitez would have a "substantial" transfer budget this summer despite he and George Gillett trying to sell the club, a process which could take 18 months.

It has since been reported that the funds available to Benitez could be as little as £5m, before selling players.

Liverpool were put up for sale in April, with an asking price of between £600m and £800m, and Hicks had claimed there is a large number of "interested buyers".

Parent company Kop Holdings were £351m in the red last summer with annual loan repayments of £40m.

Speaking last week, Benitez told the Liverpool Echo: "I am very happy here in Liverpool. I have always been happy and I want to stay here for a long time - if it is possible."

More like Liverpool offer Rafa the severance. I have an instinct that it is make or break if Rafa goes. Depending on who replaces him.

20090408503_02.jpg?

More like Liverpool offer Rafa the severance. I have an instinct that it is make or break if Rafa goes. Depending on who replaces him.

20090408503_02.jpg?

Well, it worked well for therockbox, so that must mean good things are coming if he would be Rafa's replacement (Y)

I'm not sure that Rafa underachieved. I think he overachived with the Champions League win in 05. I think Liverpool could've achieved better if the system above him was in a better shape. Which it hasn't been even before Hicks and Gillet.