Shia LaBeouf apologizes for Indiana Jones 4

apsham

I saw this earlier on a different site. Honestly, it makes me dislike LaBeouf a little bit more than I already did. What does anyone gain from a few years later, him going on record and saying "lol yeah it sucked". It makes him look like a bad actor, hurts the film (which, yeah, wasn't great at all) and makes Spielberg look like a joke who employed him just because he's a mate. It just wreaks to me of LaBeouf trying to win over some of the people that dislike him due to his roles like this with sympathy. Which won't happen, because I know a lot of people don't dislike him because he 'ruined' any films (because that's just a silly thing to say), but because he's a piss poor actor who plays the same annoying character in everything.

I'd rather he stop apologising and start working on, you know... improving. Maybe try a different character once in a while. Hell, if Michael Cera can do it, he can at least try.

• Like 1

I actually don't think he's that bad of an actor (was pretty good in A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, actually) he just has a habit of choosing the roles that offer him the most money as opposed to ones that would build his acting resume a bit.

That said, while I don't really see the point in saying all of this now, at least we know he's not stupid and realizes that it wasn't up to par.

He's a perfectly fine actor, and he's always had that reputation of being incredibly candid and unflinching about himself and projects he's been in. I wish he could get a Random Roles interview with The AV Club, it would probably be hilarious.

Indian Jones wasn't his fault, it was always going to suck as soon as they decided to cast Harrison Ford as some sort of grandaddy figure, there has vry rarely been a successful generation torch-handing in hollywood but those that have been marginally OK have all happened within a sensible time-frame, the fact that it was decades between the first three and this made it unbelievable even for Indiana Jones standards.

Finally Hollywood seems to have learnt this and we are getting a load of reboots (star trek) or recasts (terminator) which are at least more plausable.

LeBeouf is not a great actor, he's not even good in my book, but he cant be blamed for the failure of a project that was a dead duck before he even got on set.

I love how people slag off the ending of Indy 4 as being ridiculous, because obviously it ruins the integrity of Biblical artifacts and face-melting Nazis.

• Like 3

I love how people slag off the ending of Indy 4 as being ridiculous, because obviously it ruins the integrity of Biblical artifacts and face-melting Nazis.

THANK YOU!

I've been arguing this point to my friends for two years now. If George Lucas had nothing to do with this, if the Frank Darabont script hadn't been released for the Internet to see, Indy 4 would be a very acceptable addition to the series. But because George made the Star Wars prequels, and inserted people into films where they don't belong, made Willow, blah blah blah, there's an automatic backlash against anything he touches now. Granted, this is still the weakest film, but in a wider context none of the more popular criticisms make sense. Was resorting to aliens a bit lazy? Yes. That nuke the fridge thing? Pretty ridiculous. But if you actually watch the film serials Indiana Jones is based off, that's the whole point. It's an adventure series - not the Logic and Reality Power Hour.

• Like 3

I like Shia LaBeouf and think that he was a good fit for the Indiana Jones movie but the majority of the movie was kinda crap. I understood where they were going with it, being that the first movies were based on serials from the 30's, which had the adventurer face off against the evil nazis and the fourth one based itself on the 50's version of the same serials, which dealt with the soviets and aliens. I just think that the idea of the movie was good, but the execution wasn't. Plus the monkey thing was stupid as shit.

It needed more "Sean Connery foiling the Nazi war machine with seagulls and an umbrella."

It needed more "Sean Connery foiling the Nazi war machine with seagulls and an umbrella."

You could say that about every movie though.

• Like 1

Cate Blanchett and her awful, awful accent pretty much killed it for me. Other than that, I didn't mind the film so much. I love the Indiana Jones series, but let's face it people, it was never exactly anything more than a popcorn action franchise in the first place. Which isn't a bad thing at all. A lot of the time I feel more like watching a film with little sense and lots of fun more than I do something with exceptional storytelling or what have you.

• Like 1

Really, anybody who came into an Indiana Jones movie expecting anything other than "zany over-the-top ridiculousness that doesn't make a damn bit of sense if you think about it for longer than ten minutes" has never seen an Indiana Jones movie.

• Like 3

I just wish we could have had some more of Marcus. sad.gif I think one of my favourite scenes in any Indy film is the bit in Last Crusade, where Indy say's they'll never find Marcus, he knows 8 different languages, knows the customs of every country like the back of his hand, he'll disappear and they'll never be able to find him again.

Cut to the next scene; "Excuse me, does anyone speak English? ...Or perhaps Ancient Greek?" tongue.gif

Either that or the run in with Hitler, where he signs Papa Jones' diary.

I just wish we could have had some more of Marcus. sad.gif I think one of my favourite scenes in any Indy film is the bit in Last Crusade, where Indy say's they'll never find Marcus, he knows 8 different languages, knows the customs of every country like the back of his hand, he'll disappear and they'll never be able to find him again.

Cut to the next scene; "Excuse me, does anyone speak English? ...Or perhaps Ancient Greek?" tongue.gif

Either that or the run in with Hitler, where he signs Papa Jones' diary.

That's why Last Crusade is and always will be my favorite Indy movie--possibly my favorite adventure movie. The whole thing is just full of wacky moments like that, plus the Harrison Ford/Sean Connery team is just unstoppable.

"How did you know she was a Nazi?"

"She talks in 'er sleep!"

The bit where they think he's fallen off the cliff (after the hilariously fake death of the guy in the tank) and he climbs up behind them and looks down at the wreckage is just beautiful, beautiful cinema history. I don't think we'll ever see another combination work quite as well as Ford and Connery.

• Like 1