Official Premier League 2010/11 thread

If anyone wants a laugh, try and watch Liverpool vs. Blackburn. A couple of ten year olds could have done better than Meireles and Kuyt today.

I thought Blackburn did particularly well, considering their handicap of absence.

• Like 3

Good news coming out of City this morning.

Michael Johnson will make his much anticipated comeback in the EDS team that takes on Rochdale at Hyde tonight.

The England under 21 ace has been out of the first team picture since a spectacular goal scoring display in the Carling Cup win over Scunthorpe in October 2009.

Urmston-born Johnson burst onto the first team scene in style back in 2006 at Wigan but a series of injures have restricted the midfielder to just 43 league and cup starts.

Still only 22-years-old hopes are high that Johnson can force his way back into the first team picture under Roberto Mancini after impressing the Italian and his staff with his approach to a second spell of lengthy rehab.

“I have been ready for a run out for a while,” admitted Johnson ahead of the Manchester Senior Cup tie. “The weather has meant a lot of postponements but I can’t wait to get going again.”

Tonight’s tie has been switched to Hyde because Rochdale’s home ground is in use. Kick-off is at 7pm.

Admission is £3 for adults and £1 for under 16s. Fans are reminded that there are FIVE loyalty points on offer for attending this game.

Always liked Johnson, such a shame his career has been so blighted with injury. If he doesn't end up getting back into the City fold I'd like to see him starting elsewhere in the league.

Is it just injury though? Unfortunately I don't see the lad making it at all. There were a lot of reports and speculation, even from within City circles that he was too fond of the bottle.

That seems to happen every time a player is out with a long term injury. When Agger was out with a back problem the real reason was actually that he'd tested positive for cocaine (because the restaurant that he owns was the favourite hangout of the local drug dealers), and not because our incompetent medical staff at the time couldn't diagnose a knife through the neck.

Hehehehe. I'm glad Liverpool lost. Not just because I don't like Liverpool, but because it shows that bringing in a past "talisman" doesn't paper over the gaping cracks in the squad. It's like Newcastle all over again.

I think everyone, apart from Liverpool fans, are thinking the same. After the way Liverpool fans turned against Hodgson, I really hope Liverpool do worse under Daglish, even maybe getting relegated. Then the fans will have no-one to blame but themselves.

The lad went from this

MichaelJohnson_1312435.jpg

to this

JOHNSON_800x700.jpg

It's looking a lot as if he got his injury and just gave up trying to regain his fitness. He'll probably run out his City contract and retire as a footballer or something <_<

He aged two years, had a haircut and grew more of a beard? Show me a 19 year old who doesn't bulk out (alright don't, people have different rates and times of body change) but if anything he looks broader rather than fatter, tends to happen through those years.

Hehehehe. I'm glad Liverpool lost. Not just because I don't like Liverpool, but because it shows that bringing in a past "talisman" doesn't paper over the gaping cracks in the squad. It's like Newcastle all over again.

I think everyone, apart from Liverpool fans, are thinking the same. After the way Liverpool fans turned against Hodgson, I really hope Liverpool do worse under Daglish, even maybe getting relegated. Then the fans will have no-one to blame but themselves.

Nobody thought getting rid of Hodgson and bringing in Kenny (or anyone else) would paper over the cracks in the squad, but even last night we showed that we're capable of playing much better than we ever did under Roy. At the very least in the last two games we've tried to play football from the back and press the ball in the opposition's half, but after six months of being drilled to play like Wimbledon and having the confidence drained out of the squad it's going to take a bit of time before we're anywhere near the level this team should be at. The new manager has had two days to train with the squad. If it wasn't 'nice, dignified' Roy who had been replaced, nobody would have batted an eyelid at last night's result.

Of course, relegation is still possible, but the seeds for that were sewn by Roy. Just like at Blackburn, although I expect everyone would look to absolve him of any blame once again.

Edited by therockbox.

Don't forget that bringing in Keegan actually did work, we stayed up that year after he built Owen, Martins and Viduka into a properly working attacking formation rather than kicking long balls at Owen and Martins. Keegans record in his second spell was pretty decent for a lower midtable team, and he left for non-footballing reasons relating to the board, something Liverpool shouldn't have problems with anymore.

Dalglish has inherited a midtable squad performing very poorly in front of fans that would see midtable as a failure, and with a bad run of results could easily see them dragged into a relegation dogfight that I doubt many of those players have the required character for. I don't think they'll go down, but a rebuilding is required and time and patience is needed to do so, which judging by the last few months is something difficult to ask from Liverpool fans. If Newcastle fans are deluded, what does that make Liverpool fans?

:lol:

Having watched Hicks & Gillett tear the squad apart for the last five straight transfer windows, Liverpool fans are more aware than anyone that a serious rebuilding job is necessary. Hodgson quite clearly wasn't capable of that, and Kenny is just a stopgap until the summer (because sticking with Roy was an even bigger gamble than replacing him, even with someone who hasn't managed in a decade).

I think pretty much every sane Liverpool fan knew Kenny was only a temporary measure due to their being no real managerial candidate to come in instead of rushing and panic hiring someone.

And pretty much the comments have been true about under Kenny atleast the team look like there actually look like they might play some football. Just need to get the confidence back in the team and hopefully maybe sign a proper winger as the last time we probably had one would be Pennant <_<

If either of you had watched the last four Liverpool games, you might get that while Liverpool lost last night and on Sunday. The Liverpool that showed up in those games was VASTLY different from the one that showed up to play in Roy Hodgson's last two games.

Dalglish has inherited a midtable squad performing very poorly in front of fans that would see midtable as a failure, and with a bad run of results could easily see them dragged into a relegation dogfight that I doubt many of those players have the required character for. I don't think they'll go down, but a rebuilding is required and time and patience is needed to do so, which judging by the last few months is something difficult to ask from Liverpool fans. If Newcastle fans are deluded, what does that make Liverpool fans?

I spoke to someone on Twitter about this last night - and yes, the squad needs rebuilding. It is not going to take Kenny Dalglish coming in on Saturday to improve results, but he's improved performances. Yes, the squad isn't perfect. But Liverpool were caught into an enforced sell to buy policy for the last few years, resulting in a squad lacking in depth and quality in places.

It's not an overnight thing. But things are looking up with the way the players have upped performances in the last two games, Steve Clarke has been brought in. It's not going to switch over night. It may take a few games.

To be honest, there is a massive difference between Newcastle and Liverpool's scenarios. Keegan was the man behind turning Newcastle from struggling Second Division (at the time) team to near runners up in the Premiership. While Dalglish was the last in a string of successful Liverpool mangers in the 70s and 80s. Keegan was out of football and brought back by an unpopular owner looking to get fans off his back. Dalglish has been at Liverpool for two years already. I can see where the comparisons come from 'successful former manager from 'glory years' brought in to placate fans' but I don't think Liverpool fans would've called for Dalglish if he wasn't already at Liverpool as Academy Director. They'd probably have chanted for Benitez.

If either of you had watched the last four Liverpool games, you might get that while Liverpool lost last night and on Sunday. The Liverpool that showed up in those games was VASTLY different from the one that showed up to play in Roy Hodgson's last two games.

It doesn't matter if you lose playing defensive tactics or attacking tactics, the fact of the matter is the players are playing with no heart. Bad signings, letting Alonso and Mascherano go and a certain Señor Benitez have put Liverpool where they are at the moment. It certainly has nothing to do with Roy Hodgson, I feel sorry for the guy, he comes in with his own ideas and tactics and the players won't play for him, because they think they should be playing a different way. But I'm sorry, he's the gaffer so you play how he wants, I'd like see anyone have a similar sort of attitude at Manchester United, Fergie would bloody eat 'em for breakfast!

Apart from the obvious; Reina, Carragher, Gerrard and Torres, Liverpool need a whole new squad. 12-15 new signings and some blooded youngsters, and then maybe we'll see them back at the top of the league. 'King' Kenny may have them playing football that is a little easier on the eye, but when the players hearts ain't in, it doesn't mean a damn thing. I honestly believe that a big club is gonna get relegated this season, and if Liverpool don't make some decent signings in this window, I'm afraid it will be them. Put it one way, when Leeds got relegated a few years back, they had a hell of a lot better team than Liverpool have now.