Football Manager 2011

Dan

Booted up my Newcastle game that I haven't played in along time and I've been offered the Chelsea job in the 2012/2013 season. I think I'll save it as a seperate game to my Newcastle one because I just got Champions League football in with them and depsite getting 42mil to spend, Chelsea's team is just so damn old and overpaid that i'tll take more than that to rebuild. Still a fun challenge I guess.

Edited by The Cool One

I can feel my enthusiasm for my Nottingham Forest game sliding into that "I've just won the Champions League and there's nothing else to strive for" malaise... One option might be to take a different job, but with only the English and Scottish leagues loaded there isn't really a great range of interest to explore. Plus, I'm sorry to admit, the fact that the game is in 2016 and brimming with regens makes it less appealing.

Sigh. :/

I can feel my enthusiasm for my Nottingham Forest game sliding into that "I've just won the Champions League and there's nothing else to strive for" malaise... One option might be to take a different job, but with only the English and Scottish leagues loaded there isn't really a great range of interest to explore. Plus, I'm sorry to admit, the fact that the game is in 2016 and brimming with regens makes it less appealing.

Sigh. :/

I'm in 2017, and the problem I've found is that most teams are still loaded with the now much older real-life 'wonderkids' that start the game, and there's not really many world class regens. I've developed a few of my own, but in the summer I was offered the Liverpool and Bayern Munich jobs, and both teams' average age must have been around 30. It's incredibly frustrating, the AI on this when it comes to team/squad building is still awful.

GaryPriestNews_Inbox.png

We know there's something wrong with him, we just don't know what. Should be fine though tomorrow.

RolandoVsquezProfile_Attributes.png

A bit useful for a nipper.

Started an unemployed game last night but with a very good reputation because I wasn't sure who to start with so I'd just start with whoever offered me the most money first dry.gif

Anyway, come Dec 16th 2011 it was Arsenal and At. Madrid who came in with offers. Both with just under £30m to spend but Arsenal's wage budget was higher so I took them up on their offer. They were lying in 15th with a record of 5/4/7 and had conceded the joint highest number of goals. So yeah clear where my problem was. With Szcezney out untill March with a bust knee, Fabianski was at fault for almost everything although the two CB's weren't exactly great. I had about two weeks before the window opened and here's how we got on.

Birmingham (away) - Won 3-2 in the last minute

Chelsea (away) - Drew 4-4 in the last minute

Sunderland (home) - Won 3-1

Tottenham (home) - Won 4-2

Man Utd (a) - Lost 1-3, Fabianksi got a 4.3

Yeah so my defence was shit. So that's what I looked to improve during January. Before the window opened, I had managed to move on lots of players, including Vela, Djouru, Squallaci, Diaby, Fabianski and many more. But on the plus side, my attack had been awesome, Fabregas, Nasri, Wilshere, Chamakh and Van Persie had been pulling every defence apart, so no need for any improvement there.

David De Gea from At Madrid for £16.5m

Mamadou Sakho from PSG for £12m

Phil Jones from Blackburn for £14.5m

Arturo Vidal from Leverkusen for £13m

That was a total of £56m, and it's sole purpose was to shore up the defence and start to climb the table. That's exactly what we've done, I'm now in the middle of February and we haven't conceded a goal since the Man Utd game. De Gea and the two CB's have been absolutely awesome and Vidal playing just infront of them is breaking most attacks up before they even get started. United are a long way ahead, and are unreachable but 2nd is now my main target, along with the FA Cup. Technically, we're still in the Champions League but without Jones, Sakho and Vidal it's going to be a struggle. Strangely though De Gea is allowed to be registered, oh well.

Here's how I line up atm

GK: De Gea (Goalkeeper, Defend)

RB: Sagna (Wing Back, Support)

CB: Jones (Central Defender)

CB: Sakho (Central Defender)

LB: Clichy (Wing Back, Support)

DMC: Vidal (Defensive Midfielder, Support)

MC: Fabregas (Advanced Playmaker, Support)

AMC: Nasri (Attacking Midfielder, Attack)

AMC: Wilshere (Attacking Midfielder, Attack)

ST: Chamakh (Target Man, Attack)

ST: Van Persie (Advanced Forward, Attack)

Oh and one more thing, Chamakh in that role, with Target Man ticked, has been awesome. 8 goals in 7 games for me so far.

Edited by MJB

I prefer to pay upfront. If a club wants 10, and I want to pay 8 then I'll normally use instalments for the difference.

I don't like people who spend like 40m over 48 months when they're budget is 22m or something.

Im trying to sell my players with fees over 24 months, month on month im making a loss, so trying to offset it slightly.

Usually I set my budget strictly within what I'm given and what I sell. Sometimes i'll pay in installments for younger players or if I desperately need to fill a hole, and I don't mind "borrowing against" my next budget injection.