3. Edward Norton

4. Matt Damon

5. Hugh Laurie

6. Jeff Bridges

7. Paul Newman

8. Christian Bale

9. Danny DeVito

10. Bruce Campbell

For any Norton doubters... Fight Club, American History X, Rounders, The Score, Red Dragon, The Italian Job, The Incredible Hulk and Leaves of Grass are all top notch movies that I have seen from him. The other movie that I saw with him is Keeping the Faith which was good for what it was.

This is going to be difficult :P I'm probably forgetting some people that should definitely be on that list, but yeah, what the hell.

1. Jack Nicholson

2. Anthony Hopkins

3. Tom Hanks

4. Patrick Stewart

5. Ian McKellen

6. Brad Pitt

7. Samuel L. Jackson

8. Robin Williams :blush:

9. Helena Bonham Carter

10. Robert De Niro

Yeah, whatever. Probably a few missing. Feel free to shoot me. :P

1. Clint Eastwood

2. David Tennant

3. Patrick Stewart

4. Robert Downey Jr.

5. James Marsden (Man crush pick)

6. Philip Seymour Hoffman

7. Alan Rickman

8. Cillian Murphy

9. Jason Bateman

10. Nathan Fillion

Forgive me: Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Alan Alda, Martin Sheen & Christopher Walken.

1. Tom Cruise

2. Jim Carrey

3. Paul Rudd

4. Bruce Willis

5. Will Smith

6. Brad Pitt

7. Matthew Perry

8. Tom Hanks

9. The Rock/Dwayne Johnson

10. Neil Patrick Harris

Yeah, this may end up getting changed. I keep thinking of people, even if it's just shameless nostalgia (Michael J. Fox). Besides, the last two entries are pure fanboyism... as is, well probably all of them. Yeah.

Edited by TheModernWay

Only the top five are my actual top-five. Though, that changes based on whatever movie I watched last. The final five are five that I always tend to enjoy, but don't really like one more than the other.

1. Leonardo DiCaprio

2. Brad Pitt

3. Johnny Depp

4. Kevin Spacey

5. Sam Rockwell

6. Christopher Walken

7. Tom Hanks

8. Christian Bale

9. Jack Nicholson

10. Tom Cruise

I, for one, am shocked that everyone has different favorites and that we don't all have the same exact list of ten.

• Like 3

Edit: Isn't someone's favorite actor someone they'd place in the best of all time? Or do I not understand opinions?

I'd definitely disagree with this. Die Hard is my favourite film of all time, but I can't say it's perf-wait no. Okay, bad example. Soundgarden are my favourite band of all time, but I know for a fact they are far from the best, most talented band of all time. I can see theres a difference between what is someones personal preference and actual undeniable talent.

But, you'd put them on your all time favorite... It's confusing to me that someone who would pick someone as their favorite.. wouldn't consider them the best? I can't wrap my head around that.

I was kinda trying to point out that someone can have a personal favourite and still realise they might not be the best in their field. Saying something is the best of all time is taking their entire performance, skill, quality etc into account. Saying it's your favourite just means you like it a lot.

I - I could give more examples I guess?

Let me sort this one out in a way people will understand.

Andrew Lincoln is my favourite actor. Why? I dunno really...but...he's cool as fuck. He plays his parts really well. And I've basically grown up wanting to fucking be like Simon from "Teachers" (fuck, I still do).

But who the fuck is Andrew Lincoln? He's basically a nothing English actor who plays one sort of character really well, whose most famous for the before-mentioned playing of Simon in "Teachers" (a moderately popular early 2000's Channel 4 comedy drama), Egg in "This Life" (mid/late 90's fairly cultish BBC drama series) and playing the 3rd wheel in the Keira Knightley story-arc in "Love Actually". Between the occasional successful gig he pops up on the odd one-off program and does voice-over work...

...is that the best actor in the world? IS IT FUCK! I mean seriously...no, nowhere fucking near. But he's my FAVOURITE. If I notice something and Andrew Lincoln is in it, I will go out of my way to try and watch it...or at least make a mental note to try and watch it some day (which I've done with most of his films). I literally don't do that with any other actor (I'm not really one who's massively fussed on actors/their specific works etc.), so yeah, he's my favourite actor. But trying to justify him as the 'best' would be absolutely ridiculous.

...hope that helps. :shifty:

Edited by YI

1) Jason Statham

2) Michael Cera

3) Samuel L. Jackson

4) Brad Pitt

5) Seth Rogen

6) Emma Stone

7) Johnny Depp

8) Jonah Hill

9) Will Ferrell

10) Sam Worthington

Honorable mentions to: Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks, Robert Downey Jr., Chloe Moretz, Jason Segal, Mila Kunis, Leonardo DiCaprio

Edited by IDM

1. Robert Downey Jr.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt

3. Ryan Reynolds

4. Alan Alda

5. Neil Patrick Harris

6. Samuel L Jackson

7. Christian Bale

8. Kevin Spacey

9. Michael J Fox

10.Leonardo DiCaprio

1. Toshiro Mifune

2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

3. Brad Pitt

4. Jeff Bridges

5. Stanley Tucci

6. Robert De Niro

7. Bill Murray

8. James Stewart

9. John Cleese

10. Alan Rickman

List subject to a lot of change because I'm not happy with it yet.

Good God this is a tough one, do I go for talent, range or work, personality, ability to pick good scripts, ability to bring a shitty script up to decent, ambition, creative genius or the girl I've had a crush on since I was 7. I could do this 50 times and get 50 different top 10's never mind orders so here goes.

1. Robert Di Nero - Jake La Motta, Travis Bickle, Vito Corleone, Jimmy Conway, before he tried to become a comedian he was the best in the world no doubt.

2. Leonardo DiCaprio - Critters 3!!! In all seriousnes the guy has to be respected for taking on some intensely challenging roles and by and large playing them very well (accents aside), most actors would have simply bankrolled the heartthrob thing after the break he got with Titanic.

3. Al Pacino - Always guarentees a larger than life performance, I simply never get tired of seeing him in a film.

4. Brad Pitt - Another who could so easily have gone down the pretty-boy/action/romcon easy path but instead uses his profile to pick and choose more challenging roles. Would have been higher but has picked a couple too many poor scripts (or scripts that ended up poor anyway) to beat out the top 3.

5. Ian McKellan - Probably the only actor who has really managed to bring the full majesty of the big bold stage performance into his film roles.

6. Samuel L. Jackson - For his work ethic (does the guy ever take a vacation) and the range of roles he is willing to take on.

7. Jennifer Connelly - Excellent in Requiem for a Dream and a 23 year crush of mine :wub:

8. Johnny Depp - Nobody does wierd better than he does.

9. Tom Hanks - Surely the man must be Hollywoods biggest box office star ever.

10. Edward Norton - I know lots don't thnk he has much of a range and they have a point, but I like nearly every film he's been in.

I know only 10 but...

11. Michelle Rodriguez - She'd be in every film I ever wrote if I was in hollywood.

Edit:

Won't change the top 10 now but Gary Oldman should have probably been in there somewhere, I think the guy is fantastic. We really should have done a top 20, who cares if it makes compiling it a problem, it's not my problem :)

Edited by hackerjack