Civilization Thread!

Ruki

HOO YEAH! You can't resist the power of all the scweamin' Jack'emites and Jack'emettes out there when I pin you to the gwound for a count of thwee which is the legal way to win a match in this wrestling fedewation the last time I checked Gawy the Legend TAKE IT AWAY

Oh I thought you were asking for opponents.

Yeah, play as Germany, Germany is really good now (HANSE YOU GUYS).

Oh, I picked 22 opponents on a small map (Italy) and they were all on random. So I started in nothern Itlay surrounded by mountains and truffles. Somehow Morrocco plopped a settler right next to my city from well across the map and it was right next to the iron I was eyeing up. So, ATTACK~! Except the turn before I attack, Morrocco sue for peace with Russia and that bitch Catherine GIVES THEM THE CITY I WAS ABOUT TO TAKE. So now I am at war with Russia who are the most powerful.

Bollocks.

Stick with just one city, send out trade routes, buy an army when it's time to do the warring.

Totally doable, plus you can have Circus Maximus in your capital for inevitable happiness hits.

Oh, I took Casablanca off Russia and I took Mombassa from a city state. Happiness hasn't been a problem funnily enough, lots of gems, cotton, truffles. Its a good defensive position since I'm surrounded by mountains to the south and south east, but it makes it difficult to attack anyone. I'm gonna try to take a Korean city that is to the south east, but I need to build up an expeditionary force to go around the mountains.

Everyone is after my gems! My precious...

Well then you're good.

Is there even room for 22 capitals on a small-sized map? I'd probably shoot for culture on that sort of map. And by "shoot" I mean "with guns."

Apparently so. Its packed but its fun. I find the game much more fun when you are battling for territory rather than almost unlimited expansion at the start to middle of a game. Sometimes if you do a game with 22 civs on a small or duel map, some civs can't place down their first city which means 'FREE WORKER, WOO!' plus some angry looks from other civs. But fuck them.

Culture has been left way behind me on this game, I'm rolling in cash and my science is pretty good, almost got my first factory in 1710.

Didn't seem to have any issues when I played last night. Tried verifying the game cache on Steam?

Also, I forgot how fun this game is when you get a good start - desert folklore, tithe and Petra make for a beastly religious start for my French empire. I'm on a continent with just the Romans and some city states, and for whatever reason Rome does not seem intent on expanding, so I think I may have to conquer them soon just to make sure they don't start getting any ideas. After that - it's culture city!

god damn do i hate having ashurbanipal as a neighbor. I'm just minding my own business and he's all "declaration of friendship?" and I'm like "yeah okay" and he's like "SIEGE TOWERS WUT" and Isabella and Catherine are presumably like "DICK MOVE ASH DICK MOVE" but I can't hear them because I am dead from siege towers.

Playing a Venice game...I MoV'd a few city states, then Denmark declared war on me suddenly.

Ok Denmark...I have over 30K banked and making around 700GPT. In no time I went from having a military of just garrisoned units, to battleships, artillery and great war infantry. Easily won the Battle of Belgrade, and begun the Siege of Copenhagen. Copenhagen fought well, their ski infantry was truly brave, but in the end they could not withstand the onslaught of the might Venitian navy

So reading this thread has given me a hankering to play this. I bought Civ V a long time ago and have never really played it much. But I'd really like to get more into it, as when I have played I've really enjoyed it. I like the look of the expansions but can't really justify paying that much for them. I might look at picking them up at a later date but for now I'm left with the basic Civ.

My question is; am I missing loads, having never really played too much before?

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Both are very good. Gods & Kings adds religion, which is an element I can't imagine playing without. BNW has a few tricks but is mostly interesting for the new playable civs (Zulu! Poland! effing Portugal!) and the much better culture victory.