Civilization Thread!

Ruki

I almost always build National College after the Great Library (for Philosophy obvs.) if I get it. It's a fairly safe beeline that lets you stock up on worker techs while you boost your tech. This usually means missing out on the Temple of Artemis, but the extra beakers earlier are well worth the cost, and at low difficulties you can usually head right into either the Hanging Gardens or Petra if you want them. Early NC is a cornerstone of a lot of top-level strategies I've read, and with some rushing you can get it out by turn 60 or so. It's a massive boost to science in a tall Tradition game.

That's a fair point, but I'm pretty obsessed with getting EVERYWONDERPROSSIBL! I used to rush National College always but often I found myself leaving it on the back burner and going going Great Library - Temple of Artemis - National College - Hanging Gardens, or Hanging Gardens then NC; as even though the beaker are important, it's a national wonder rather than a world wonder so if you delay it can't be stolen/built by a rival... where as it's easy to miss out on the Temple of Artemis as it comes early.

I don't see the Temple of Artemis is a game-breaker by any means though, I'm more worried about missing the Hanging Gardens which is much much stronger, so if I was going GL - NC - I would probably go Hanging Gardens afterwards if I had the tech for it, otherwise Temple of Artemis then Gardens as soon as I could access it.

So Arabia has loved declaring war on me in my latest game. Have done it 3 times so far. But the only way to get their units to attack me is to move through the Rocky Mountains (I'm playing an America map), which leaves their units vulnerable to 2 city-state allies as well as a city attack from me, or by attacking Byblos straight on and taking them over. They came dangerously close once to conquering them, until I rushed 2 subs in production and moved them within Byblos's borders. Subs attacking frigates is great, especially when you have 6 bombers close by backing them up

Eventually, after the 3rd declaration of, I got tired of it, marched on to Mecca and took it over. Byblos took over Medina and is razing it. I"m going to settle a new city on its ruins though, because theres 3 salt resources and a unranium resource there...

There's something a little bit wonderful about coming to Orleans in your war against the French and seeing that it has a Great General inside it...named Jeanne d'Arc.

And by wonderful, I mean that I was able to lay waste to the city with Cannons and Gatling Guns. Which was fun.

• Like 2

There's something a little bit wonderful about coming to Orleans in your war against the French and seeing that it has a Great General inside it...named Jeanne d'Arc.

And by wonderful, I mean that I was able to lay waste to the city with Cannons and Gatling Guns. Which was fun.

She must've had a hot date :shifty:

Holy shit Brazilwood and Universities turn Jungle tles into the perfect all-round tile.

Also, I just got gifted a Roman Legion unit by a city state... with no Romans in the game :/

Also also, I giggle every time I name the World Congress "The Council of Unified National Treaties". I am apparently thirteen.

• Like 1

So I wondered why there were so few Barbarians on a pangaea map setting. Turns out they were busy planning the next Disney musical show...

BARBARIANS ON ICE!

Act 1; in which I find a sole group of Barbarians at the north pole...

Act 2; in which Barbarians had space to spawn and not much else...

Act 3; in which I can't be arsed to come up with another act name.

Someone on Steam posted this start. It literally got a "holy shit" reaction from me.

Also, I think I figured out why I can't do well on King or above - I can't wage war. I can get the advantage, but I never seem to be able to knock down an opponent's city defences in time. I hate catapults because they're so defensively weak and can't share a tile with a unit of strength, so I'm paranoid about wasting hammers building them. Really need to just bite the bullet and build them.

• Like 1