Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Venetian Domination Victory in 1150 AD!

I did my typical set up for economic supremacy, going Traditional and Patronage. The other Civs (Small map) include The Celts, Austrians, Romans, Mayans, and Russians. I acquire Navigation and bribe my way into some iron, and I notice that every capital, save Edinburgh, are in easy coastal spots (Edinburgh, while on the coast, had the luxury of being in a harbor). So, I built four Frigates and one Privateer, and I start with Austria (the most advanced), and just work my way down, going through Rome, the Mayans (at this point the Russians denounced me), Russia, and finally the Celts (who were oddly happy about me basically being a psychotic bastard). Not a bad victory. All I can say is damn I love Frigates and Privateers.

I had this set on marathon, as well. The only odd thing was Caesar built Petra on a two-tile island (one of which was occupied by Cumae). I mean...okay? AND THE IDIOT GAVE IT TO ME AS PART OF THE PEACE TREATY!

Well, whatever, more points for me :shifty:

The way I play Venice, a standard map would be grossly unfair, as it's just more city-states I can happily bribe that will give me shit. Yesterday I won a diplomatic victory with Venice doing small/marathon; strategic resources were in short supply, and I pretty much controlled all of them. Venice was in the mid-50s population wise, and I had enough delegates to completely set and decide the agenda of the World Congress.

See, I much preferred Alpha Centauri's diplomatic victory. Each faction is given votes based on population size (as well as adjustments for certain Wonders and faction perks). Eventually a decision is made to elect the Supreme Leader by a simple "Who gets the most" votes. Even if you secure the position, you have to wipe out everyone that voted against you.

k49ult.png

Gotta believe this was one of my more impressive wins to date (note the date of finish and the tech being researched). Lots and lots and lots of food/culture from Siam's UA. Despite the capital not being on a river or by a mountain, I managed to get National College by turn 53, and from there things just took off.

There's something really, really satisfying about building the Hubble Telescope in the early 1800's. :shifty:

• Like 2

And I still have no idea what I am doing. I am just building things and Wonders to suit whatever purposes I need at the moment. I suck at planning in Civ. :(

Where was my invite!?!

God SRN, you're the worst for playing games with. >_>

And I still have no idea what I am doing. I am just building things and Wonders to suit whatever purposes I need at the moment. I suck at planning in Civ. :(

Where was my invite!?!

God SRN, you're the worst for playing games with. >_>

You wouldn't have answered anyway. :shifty:

We can play anytime! Just message me, man! I am all for more Civ5, even though I can't figure out what I am doing half the time! I mostly play just to laugh at having guys like Carl Benz help build The Great Lighthouse a hundred years too late in an Indian coastal city. Or making Paris the holy city for Christianity. And the French Pyramids.