Minecraft!

Sousa

Today's edition of Sousa's Awesome Minecraft Temple Adventure takes me down a familiar route with an outstanding conclusion.

So I had started working on building the castle around the floating portal, but I got a bit bored with laying the foundation (a lot of smooth stone). I set down into my cave and found a shit-ton more obsidian, so by the time I left, I thought it might be fun to go back to Satanland again, lay down another portal, and see where it takes me. Who knows? Maybe my interest would be piqued again like it was with the sand castle.

So I travel a little bit in a different cardinal direction than my other two portals, carve deep into a wall of hellstone, and come out here:

lord_of_the_sands_048.png

Another fucking coastal site--an archipelago, which I guess is kind of cool, but not very interesting. So I look around for a little while.

That's when I discover holy shit there's a torch here.

lord_of_the_sands_049.png

I could not figure this out. Torches didn't occur naturally... right? I was playing single player... wasn't I? HOW COULD THIS TORCH BE HERE OH MY GOD WUT

And then it hit me.

A little while ago, I tried an experiment. I really, really wanted to find a frozen tundra biome, but every portal had dumped me into either grassland or desert or the goddamn ocean. So I set off from my sand castle, aligned my compass in a "the opposite direction of the spawn point" direction, and started walking and boating in a straight line. I would find tundra, and then I would drop a portal there, and then I would travel back to the sand castle. Given that Hell corresponds with the real world, I figured it'd be easy--and quick--to just head in a straight line back to where I started.

It took two fucking days, but I finally hit snow. So I dropped a portal in the middle of a frozen lake, went inside, and set back in the direction of the spawn point--and, thus, the original portal in the sand castle, which was just a tiny click away.

One problem: I could not find the original portal in the Nether.

I walked much, much further than I'm sure it was, but ultimately, I was sunk. I trudged back in the direction from which I'd come, found my frozen lake portal, and jumped back into the real world. Then--with the aide of firestone and some torches--I used the compass to navigate my way back home, leaving beacons and kicking myself in the ass the whole way back.

I had been hoping this new portal would drop me near some snow. It didn't, but it dropped me right in the middle of the path between my sand castle and the frozen lake portal.

I didn't think it'd be possible, but I aligned my compass and jumped straight back into Dimension X. I suspected that when I tried to find my way back the first time, I'd passed either over or under my sand castle portal; Hell is pretty tall, and there aren't a lot of nice, clean paths through it. Even so, I figured if I headed back in the right direction, I could at least make myself a portal to another part of that same tundra, which would work for me.

I walked just a little way before I saw this.

lord_of_the_sands_050.png

A staircase!? AND IT LOOKS MAN-MADE!? HOLY SHIT WUT

lord_of_the_sands_051.png

No way. No. fucking. way.

lord_of_the_sands_052.png

YUS

lord_of_the_sands_053.png

Two days' travel. Both ways. Beacons marking the whole passage. I never thought I'd see this portal again. But I found it. I fucking found it.

I rule.

lord_of_the_sands_054.png

[FUTURE SITE OF SOUSA'S KICK-ASS SNOW TEMPLE]

So yeah, now I have a clear path in the Slip between the sand castle and the frozen tundra portal, which means it now makes sense to start working on it. I am psyched. This is the one I was really looking forward to building, and now I can. :D

I think I found some snow to the west of EWB Village. only about 1/2 a days travel...

I'm currently venturing around the coast trying to find random things.

Nothing of any real interest as of yet, but If I do find something I'll let you all know.

Ah screw it, I'm up for buying my way into the server thingy.

One question though, is it possible to make a one off payment via paypal... or do you need to register your details in order to make a transaction? I can't work out whether it's just a processing thing or whether it's like a bank account :/

Ironically enough, I think I bought Minecraft through it ¬¬

Multiplayer IS free... but to get on the EWB server that we're on you'll have to give Matzat a PM or something and he'll explain the rest.

The idea is paying about £6 and getting 3 months of game time on the server.

EDIT: Also, have I been the only one on the EWB server in the past few days? No one seems to be on whilst I mine stuff :(

Edited by The General

It´s been a bit clam since everyone started playing Smackdown and the update caused some server lag wich is not fully fixed yet. Alpha and all.

I think the most people we had online at a time was three, right now the biggest part of the joy is comming back and seeing what people did with the place. :w00t:

I think we should just open a seperate topic for our server, i´l put all the deteils in the first posting and a list who payed how much for what amount of time so this ends up somewhat fair.

I instaled a Mod that should fix the blog spawning lag that came with the halloween patch. Onlineplay should be much smother now.

Get all the info on it here.

http://forum.hey0.net/showthread.php?tid=1157

Our server is ending on the 26, i might not be online untill the 27. So i am trying to buy the next three month before i leave for work. It would be very nice if i had the money of the guys willing to pay by monday because i am flat out broken right now and i cannot upfront anything if i want to eat next week. >_<

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Status of SMP Health

The few hours I’ve been able to work today, I tried getting SMP Health as complete as possible. It will be released early next week.

Here’s the status:

* Send attack network data: DONE

* Add the ability to attack other entities: DONE

* Implement falling damage: NOT STARTED

* Implement respawning for dead players: PARTIALLY DONE (there are bugs with the player keeping the current location in some circumstances instead )

* Make eating food regenerate health: DONE

* Send health updates to the players: DONE

The “attack entities” code is done on a general level, so you can hurt animals, monsters, boats, carts and even other players.

There are a couple of other tweaks in the next update as well:

* Fix leaves. Again: DONE

* Optimize the lighting update slowdowns: STARTED

* Make players riding carts or boats a long way receive terrain updates: DONE

* Fix the block re-spawning bug: NOT STARTED

* Add “pvp” toggle flag to the server settings: NOT STARTED.

So if you want to get anything don on our server that would get you killed 252356 times, now is the time to do it.