Minecraft!

Sousa

I haven't been throgh yet... Can't get it to work on Multiplayer and I haven't found any diamond and only minimal lava on my single world.

It´s not enabled yet for multiplayer. But at least we got enough material to build four. :shifty:

Still missing money on that first month server payment. :wub:

So I played for a little bit tonight. Found some interesting stuff.

lord_of_the_sands_009.png

The new and improved tower now features symmetry. Looks way nicer--the crenelated top alternates much more smoothly without those weird gaps I was getting the first time. I added a new door and expanded the yard--the eventual sand temple is going to look much nicer.

With an awesome new centerpiece.

lord_of_the_sands_010.png

Hey, who put this here? What the hell? I'm getting rid of it? Now how can I do that? Maybe if I just set it on fire, then...

lord_of_the_sands_011.png

WHAT THE CHRIST!?

lord_of_the_sands_012.png

This purple stuff is delicious...

lord_of_the_sands_013.png

HOLY SHITTING JESUS.

lord_of_the_sands_014.png

The Nether is neat. It's not as murderously brutal as it could be--nothing worse than a horde of creepers--but it's definitely spooky. Lots of screaming evil sound effects.

lord_of_the_sands_015.png

The zombie pigmen are everywhere. I didn't attack any of them, and they leave you alone if you don't. But don't worry, I suspect that will be the scariest thing we'll

lord_of_the_sands_016.png

OH MY HELLSQUID

So yeah, the ghasts, right? The ghasts aren't that bad. They're slow and they have poor aim. If you keep track of where your feet are, you'll be fine--but that point is a key. It's perilously easy to fall a jillion feet into that lava pit you all saw earlier.

lord_of_the_sands_017.png

Aw, lookit 'im. He's almost cute.

I traveled a bit, gathering a whole lot of the red helldirt (it burns forever!), but what I was looking for was a route to the glowing yellow stones that hang from the ceiling. When I found some, I built myself an exit portal.

It took me to the inside of a cave.

Stupid me, I dug upward.

lord_of_the_sands_018.png

I was in the middle of the fucking ocean.

So yeah, I gathered my things and headed back down underwater into the newly kinda flooded cave. Down the road when I feel like putting in some more time, my plan is to build a safer way to travel from Portal #2 to the surface--probably by cutting off the water flow into the cavern and putting in some ladders. I've still got some more grading to do, though, and I could tell that this new project--coupled with mining the huge obsidian farm I discovered--could take me all night.

I did make myself a little sumthin'-sumthin', though.

lord_of_the_sands_019.png

Hovering fire halo of peril, baby.

Man. I hate Ghasts. I had two spawn near my portal when I went into the Nether earlier, and they managed to nearly completely cut me off from escaping thanks to the wall of fire they put up. It doesn't help that the other direction from where they were burning shit up is a sheer cliff into lava.

Being able to travel absurd distances aboveground while travelling in the Nether is pretty awesome though. Also Sousa, you were right about having water behind you when harvesting obsidian - it made it so much easier to harvest when there was a trickle of water to create more obsidian. At this rate I'll probably be able to use up this pool of lava for obsidian all the way to bedrock and still have heaps for Nethergates.

Portal #2 was laid down and... well.

lord_of_the_sands_020.png

lord_of_the_sands_021.png

lord_of_the_sands_022.png

Does anyone else's game seem to have a sick sense of humor regarding where these portals end up? <_<

EDIT:

lord_of_the_sands_023.png

I tried this trick to see if it'd spawn another portal nearby in the real world so I could harvest that obsidian. Didn't work. :(

lord_of_the_sands_024.png

And here's an updated look at the yard now that Tower #2 is finished.

EDIT AGAIN:

lord_of_the_sands_025.png

Have I mentioned I fucking love this game?

There's an obvious trend of people blowing shit up in Minecraft. Given that TNT is a craftable item it's no big surprise.

I'm going to join in.

I've looked at the map for my game - it's too big to upload here or on Imageshack, so cbf uploading it anyway - and there are two major bodies of water. They are separated by my island, but also by a small sandbar a little bit northwest of my base. I'm going to obliterate this sandbar in the vein of the Panama Canal so I can sail into this other body of water and continue exploring.

Four TNT enough? Let's find out.

I don't think it's going to work out quite that smoothly. Since water only flows from the nearest water tiles, what'll likely happen is that the water will flow into the canal downward, resulting in what can best be described as bumpy water. Anybody who's ever seen a creeper blow up near a sandy beach will know what I mean--the water tends to flow downward into it rather than butting up nicely against the coast. An easy fix would be to treat it like a pool once it's cleared--put a layer of dirt one below the water level, then dump buckets of water on top of it, then remove the dirt--the water should flow downward after that. But I dunno, water's weird.

Also, here's this.

lord_of_the_sands_026.png

lord_of_the_sands_027.png

lord_of_the_sands_028.png

(H)

EDIT:

God damn it minecraft i have things to do.

lord_of_the_sands_029.png

lord_of_the_sands_030.png

lord_of_the_sands_031.png

lord_of_the_sands_032.png

The four walls of the castle are complete!

lord_of_the_sands_033.png

North wall! That's lightstone backed by lava there.

lord_of_the_sands_034.png

West wall! You can see glass through the murder holes. I'm building a second floor inside the castle, and since it would be prohibitively difficult to make a complete hovering floor out of sand, I'm cheating a bit and building it out of glass, which is technically sand. :shifty:

lord_of_the_sands_035.png

South wall! With weird Space Invader graphics!

lord_of_the_sands_036.png

East wall! Additional weird runes!

lord_of_the_sands_037.png

And here's the interior so far. My plan is to build one more tower in the middle, perhaps predicated on Hugar levels of compensation. To be honest, though, this has probably been my favorite building project I've undertaken so far--more so than the hovering mountain, more so than the pirate ship, even more so than the underwater bubble (which I'll be building again in this world, just in a very different way--it's going to be my next project). I've still got massive amounts of sand to harvest to get the planned three floors (including roof) and central tower built, at which point I'll likely make a few more runs into the mine (hoping for more diamond!), grab the rest of the obsidian/lava, and head through the portal to the "it's right in the middle of the fucking ocean" portal and my second big building project.

We got some changes in today... I haven't checked any of them out yet though.

Minecraft Alpha v1.2.2, Minecraft Server 0.2.4

A whole pile of bug fixes in this one. There's still a lot more to do, coming over the next couple of weeks or so.

General fixes:

* players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects

* getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended

* lava flows further in the Nether

* zombie pigs eventually forgives

* added support for custom skin packs

* fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens

* zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava

* fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:

* hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though

* boats are now visible to other players

* minecarts move nicer

* fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work

* sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now

* buckets work now

* fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy

* increased the timeout before "Took too long to log in"

* made it possible to ride carts and boats

* added (after lots of work) the ability to steer server-side boats

* added "no-animals" setting. if true, animals will immediately vanish

* added support for more animation settings. Currently it's just the "riding" animation, but the same system will be used for sneaking

To make a texture pack, make a zip file that contains the files you wish to replace, then place that zip file in the texture pack folder. There's a handy button ingame to open that folder immediately.

If you place a "pack.png" file in the root of the zip file, it'll show up as a preview icon. Please make sure it's square, and of an even 2^x size. For example, 128x128 pixels.

If you place a "pack.txt" file in the root of the zip file, the first two lines will show up as a description for the texture pack.

Edited by Rocky Feller

The server Update issent on our server yet.

Minecraft Update Released

Nov 10 2010 16:51:16 by Deehem

The Minecraft update that was mentioned has now been released. We'll be updating this and rolling it out to machines soon as we receive an updated version of Hey0's to compile. Please bear with us and apologies for any inconvenience caused. :)

Should be very soon though.

Are you guys intereted in keping the server up? I´ed like to start colecting money now, esp. if we go for more than a month.

I´ed be all yay, but i am pritty broke right now and esp. if we go for more than a month i cannot upfront it with not everyone having chiped in for the first month yet.

The rates for 8 slots (meaning 8 players online at the same time) are

1 Month = £8.00

3 Month = £21.60 (=10% off, and less hassel)

6 Month = £40.80 (=15% off, and less hassel)

12 Month = £76.80 (=20% off, and less hassel)

With four people actualy who actualy payed (of five that actualy at least were online once) in the first month i guess we can just devide the price by four.

How about everyone* pays 6GBP (= about 21GBP after PayPal fees) we´ll take three Month. If four more people show up and pay a sixer aswell we´ll take their money to pay for the next three month after that. If not, we´ll just pay a sixer again to renew.

Everyone = Rocky, Hugar, Sousa, Michael

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane
  • Like 1

That Tarver skin needs more angry eyebrows to be effective.

And yeah, Matzat, I'll chip in a few bucks.

lord_of_the_sands_038.png

So deep inside the sand castle, the forges have been burning, churning out tons and tons of glass. The castle is structurally complete, even if the interior isn't. Even so, it's now fully functional and three stories tall, with a thing on the top that I didn't realize seemed to suggest a dick until I stepped back and looked at it.

lord_of_the_sands_039.png

Here's the view when you enter. I decided that, in keeping with the the theme of the place, I'd embed the portal directly into the sandy wall. I had mentioned that I'd intended to use nothing but sand as a building material, with glass (technically sand!) and torches as support, but I couldn't resist the way this looked. I wish I had planned well enough and stuck the portal deeper into the castle in a back chamber (or underground!), but I like the way the purple wall of evil looks just interrupting the sand like that.

lord_of_the_sands_040.png

Blah blah blah workspace.

lord_of_the_sands_041.png

One of the weird things about using glass as a support structure is being able to see over the tops of your own walls. It's like a clipping code that's always on. :shifty:

lord_of_the_sands_042.png

Floor 2 isn't quite ready yet. While the first floor was functional, my goal here is going to be aesthetics. This will be my throne room. It will kick ass.

lord_of_the_sands_043.png

Skydick Alpha rounds out the tour. Floor 3 of the castle is right on the roof, with easy-to-use stairwells to access the crenelated walls for easy monster snipeage (In terms of keeping the assholes away, this is the most fun I've ever had with a structure.). These towers are for lookout only, though; they're too high for sniping. The one in the middle doesn't have a ladder leading up to it yet, but it's your standard wanky "I built something as high as the whole world!" structure.

lord_of_the_sands_044.png

The view from the top of the towers (not the Skydick). My kingdom. (H)

lord_of_the_sands_045.png

And here's the whole thing. The fiery beacons at the top make the place easier to find from a distance and also lend it a sort of "this castle is powered by MADNESS" aura that's possible since the Halloween update.

So that's where I stand now. I could work on my throne room from here, or I could travel through the portal and start work on the second castle--the underwater one. I'm not sure yet.

EDIT: Couldn't resist two more:

lord_of_the_sands_046.png

Here she is at night...

lord_of_the_sands_047.png

...and here she is from a distance. Glows real purdy.

• Like 2

That is insane!!

Seeing the first night shot I thought of Disneyland :shifty: I also notice you inventory drastically changed when you go exploring at night :pervert:

I might go venturing in some random spot in the EWB world... BTW I'm in for the £6. When are we paying that lot?

Are you aware that the balls on your SkyDick are on fire?

You might want to get that looked at.