EWB's 51 Favorite Singers 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I mean, I've yet to come across a single good singer in any sort of metal genre. Above-average at best. A test: imagine the singer singing something far outside their normal genre, would you still like it?

Bullshit.

My top ten (all metal vocalists who will blow away anyone so far in this top fifty(-one).

Maynard James Keenan is dull. Tool are dull. A Perfect Circle are dull. There is nothing interesting or remarkable about him as a vocalist, and his talent in and of itself certainly isn't worth a mention above a thousand other equally tedious metal vocalists, so I'm curious as to how he made the list at all.

The emotions that someone can feel when listening to him sing, maybe? When I listen to him on 'Eulogy', I feel like I've lost a friend. Same goes for pretty much everyone on my list. I don't care about the vocal range of the singers I listen to, it's mainly a case of the emotions they give me. Brent Hinds from Mastodon and Jimi Hendrix I feel are both shithouse when it comes to singing a song the 'right' way, but I'll be damned if they don't send shivers up my spine at certain times.

Besides, as you said this is 'favourite' singers, not best. 'Best' singers would be a boring list full of guys and gals the majority have never heard of.

At what point did I mention range, or singing the "right" way, or anything of the sort? I pretty much admitted that most of my list "can't" sing in any traditional or technical sense, so the "I don't care about..." defence doesn't really hold up, but in my opinion, good singer or not, Keenan just has nothing that makes him stand out from any number of other singers. There's nothing special about him.

Anyway, next list;

Ian Curtis is a good shout. Great voice, distinctive, emotional, and just generally fantastic. "Atmosphere" is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, and would certainly not be half as good with anyone else singing it. Lord knows I've tried.

Ann Wilson? What? Heart, right? Seriously, what?

Matt Bellamy. Ugh. At best, he's a low budget Jeff Buckley. But in their more recent stuff, it's so bloody overproduced, that you don't even get the emotion that you got out of him on the first two albums. He's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination, but I certainly don't enjoy listening to him any more.

Rod Stewart? Nah.

Nick Drake is absolutely incredible. Listen to "River Man". There's not another human being that has ever sounded quite like him, and it's wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Jack White, I like. Well, I like live stuff. He can get kind of tiresome, because he seems to be a bit gimmicky at times, and can sound a bit silly, but I quite like him when he's not getting too over-the-top.

I like James Brown, but his singing's kind of secondary to the music. So, yeah, wouldn't make it anywhere my list.

I mean, I've yet to come across a single good singer in any sort of metal genre. Above-average at best. A test: imagine the singer singing something far outside their normal genre, would you still like it?

Bullshit.

My top ten (all metal vocalists who will blow away anyone so far in this top fifty(-one).

Okay, GoGo and I were talking about this privately, so while normally I would respond to this post with guffaws and contempt that you'd rate this fucking hairsprayed joker above Al Green, but I actually do kind of want an answer. Why is it that a big chunk of you metalheads listen to nothing but metal? Like, there is a list out there with

At number one!

I genuinely don't get it. I won't say I listen to "a little bit of everything," but if you run through my collection you'll find the usual quirky weird shit you expect from me, plus country, folk, grunge, soul, blues, hip-hop, and--yes--a little bit of metal. The really hardcore metal fans--not all, but a lot who post here--seem to be headbangers and little else. I don't get it.

First of all, Chris Barnes is fucking awesome.

And I like what I like, although yes it happens to me by and large various different subgenres of metal. Some of it is stuff like Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under, some of it is more like This, which I often play on my MP3 player.

That's pretty much the beginning and end of it.

Though I do regret forgetting all about Anchang from Sex Machineguns when compiling my list.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

I like Ian Curtis as a singer. I don't particularly like Joy Division save from a few songs but Curtis is a good singer.

Ann Wilson? Wtf? Does she even exist outside guitar hero games?

Matt Bellamy's voice has always been my least favourite aspect of Muse. Nasal whines? No thanks.

I like Rod Stewart. Some of the stuff he did with the Faces was brilliant; he just had the right voice for it.

I really love Nick Drake. He's always there or thereabouts on my top 10 bands lists but I never really considered voting for him in this, just because I've really always thought of him more as a songwriter or what have you. Fantastic voice though.

I've never particularly loved Jack White's singing. It works really well with some stuff, and not so well with others.

James Brown is a good singer.

And Chris Barnes is awful. You are deluding yourself.

I like James Brown, but his singing's kind of secondary to the music.

I don't understand this comment. You couldn't put any voice or just any half-decent soul singer with the same songs and have the same success; Brown's not the most technically amazing singer but his energy, showmanship, and yes, his voice (his sing-shouting at the start of "Super Bad" is fucking fantastic) are key to why he's an icon.

Bullshit.

Okay, GoGo and I were talking about this privately, so while normally I would respond to this post with guffaws and contempt that you'd rate this fucking hairsprayed joker above Al Green, but I actually do kind of want an answer. Why is it that a big chunk of you metalheads listen to nothing but metal? Like, there is a list out there with

At number one!

Yeah, the growling stuff I don't get, at least not on an 'all-time singers' list, but David Readman to my knowledge doesn't use hairspray and most certainly seems quite serious about his singing (re: hairsprayed joker). And is very talented and versatile at it.

To answer your question, I don't know. Maybe it's also YOUR taste in music that makes it impossible to appreciate a vocalist singing heavy metal? I find it that it's a genre that really challenges a vocalist in a way that other genres maybe don't. At least not in popular music, since we're mostly excluding opera anyway. The necessity for power and bombastic delivery (and breathing techniques) in your delivery. It's easier to sing closer to your talking voice than to really go at it.

And no, singing heavy metal doesn't automatically mean you are somehow incapable of singing melodic or soft songs with proper emotion. Just see Geoff Tate #2 on my list. Who by the way is a trained opera vocalist and an opera vocal coach, if we're looking for qualifications.

Speaking of technically excellent vocalists. I like Jorn Lande's voice, same with John West or Jeff Scott Soto. That

he did live was excellent.

But sometimes it actually even gets to the point where I really don't even want to hear 'the next greatest most talented vocalist in melodic/prog metal', because it can turn into vocal acrobatics not many want to hear. I cannot really appreciate a technical vocalist if the song makes no sense other than to showcase vocal effects.

To counter that, I have to succeed that 90% of metal is crap to begin with and 95% of what passes off as a heavy metal lead vocalist these days really cannot sing much at all. In comparison I think the percentage of crap is even higher in generic popular music, but at least a larger portion of pop groups have at least a passable lead singer (as opposed to someone who sounds like they are puking on the mic). But you just have to know where to look.

Not saying my taste in music is superior, just stating why I think certain metal singers can be (and ARE) just as good if not better than anyone else.

Indeed, it's all relative compared to what you tastes each person has. It's easy for someone to say "they're shit" just because you don't like whatever, hell we all do it. So we should probably quit whilst we're ahead.

But sometimes it actually even gets to the point where I really don't even want to hear 'the next greatest most talented vocalist in melodic/prog metal', because it can turn into vocal acrobatics not many want to hear. I cannot really appreciate a technical vocalist if the song makes no sense other than to showcase vocal effects.

And also thank you for this. What does get on my nerves about the Beyonce's and Mariah Carey's and what not (apart from the music not being my thing as a whole) is the up-and-down the scales thing just to show that they can do it. It just sounds so forced and plugged in to the gap that it takes away from any sentiment the song may have.

And to show the other side of the coin and to steer away from me saying "lol, pop music", the same would apply to guitar solo's too. I don't care if the Dream Theater dude can play a solo that goes up and down the scales with the hairs that dangle from his ass-crack. Sure it's "technically" brilliant, but as long as it makes sense to the song and actually serves a purpose to the songs story (see "Fade to Black" by Metallica) is the main thing.

Edited by TheModernWay

Personally I don't doubt that there are a lot of really great singers in metal, I just had to go "really?" at a single genre dominating an entire list as frequently as it did with metal when I started tallying the list. It was sort of amusing that they were all like 90% different, though, but then the EWB Music Nazis basically divided into a couple of different camps as well.

And as for excessive vocal theatrics, I agree. I listened to Christina Aguilera's cover of "At Last" for the first time in years last week and realized that it really wasn't nearly as good as I thought because she added at least three extra syllables to every single word instead of letting the lyrics stand on their own. There's a place for them, but it's like a high spot in wrestling; if you do it wall to wall they mean nothing. But then, Al Green can be guilty of that himself at certain points (mostly in recent live performances) and as far as I'm concerned he's the best soul singer of all time (for some reason I mentally classify Marvin Gaye as R&B and Al Green as soul).

I was about to go to sleep and then suddenly EWB popped up again. Dammit, timing.

34. Trent Reznor (16 points, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

Brian20Johnson.jpg

34. Brian Johnson (16 points, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

Geddy_Lee_112439-450x337.jpg

34. Geddy Lee (16 points, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

34. Tom Jones (16 points, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A) (and if you can't guess what the image link is for him before you click it you do not know me)

madonna.jpg

34. Madonna (16 points, 2 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

32. Ray Charles (16 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #35)

32. Stevie Wonder (16 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #44)

NEXT TIME: 31 to a three-way tie for 27! It's late, I have nothing wacky to say about it.

I think Trent is a better song writer than singer/performer, Brian Johnson is cool but limited, Geddy Lee is great, as is Tom Jones.

Madonna is one of the best pop vocalists of all time. Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are both legends.

Good list, EWB!

I highly doubt he will show up on this list, but everybody looking for a great singer should look no further than Bobby Blue Bland.

As for Sousa's question, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the metalheads on this forum are probably teenagers. Usually people in their teens listen to one kind of music and that's it, and damn it, they will fight to the death that what they listen to is the best.

Hell, there was a pretty lengthy run for about 8 years where all I listened to was KISS and pretty much nothing else. Now, I only listen to them if I'm going to a concert. Other than that I really listen to a little bit of everything, but have really only been listening to the blues the past year or so.

Edited by BuddyAwesome

As for Sousa's question, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of the metalheads on this forum are probably teenagers. Usually people in their teens listen to one kind of music and that's it, and damn it, they will fight to the death that what they listen to is the best.

Really?

I'll be honest and say I don't know exactly which posters you are referring to. However, some of those that have picked more predominantly rock and metal vocalists (or, indeed, I know prefer rock, metal, punk, etc.) on here are all over 20 as far as I know. (I'm 24, lari's 30, Liam's 24, Skummy is 23, VerbalPuke is 25). I'm not saying that it was directed at any of us, but that's the initial bunch of people I can think of that have rock-ier tendencies in this particular thread.

I also don't think that metalheads only listen to metal, either. It's just a preference. :)

And I'm just over a week shy of 24 myself.

Like I said, I like what I like. It just happens that most of it is metal.

My reasoning for Chris Barnes as #1 is simple. He's an amazingly articulate growler when he wants to be, good range (for growlers), and most importantly, fantastic energy.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Personally I don't doubt that there are a lot of really great singers in metal, I just had to go "really?" at a single genre dominating an entire list as frequently as it did with metal when I started tallying the list. It was sort of amusing that they were all like 90% different, though, but then the EWB Music Nazis basically divided into a couple of different camps as well.And as for excessive vocal theatrics, I agree. I listened to Christina Aguilera's cover of "At Last" for the first time in years last week and realized that it really wasn't nearly as good as I thought because she added at least three extra syllables to every single word instead of letting the lyrics stand on their own. There's a place for them, but it's like a high spot in wrestling; if you do it wall to wall they mean nothing. But then, Al Green can be guilty of that himself at certain points (mostly in recent live performances) and as far as I'm concerned he's the best soul singer of all time (for some reason I mentally classify Marvin Gaye as R&B and Al Green as soul).

Doesn't get much worse than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxIN79n4jVo.

Trent Reznor and his music generally bores me.

Brian Johnson...um yeah he's okay. He's good at what he does.

Geddy Lee - the best thing he ever did was that sledging video. Music was shite.

Tom Jones is a good singer. His new album is really good.

I like Madonna but I've never thought of her as a particularly great singer.

Ray Charles is my favourite so far apart from Al Green.

I like Stevie Wonder as a singer. I don't think he's particularly exceptional though,

Time for a massive post;

Hayley Williams...seriously!?! There's a reason where every female fronted pop-rock band is compared to Paramore and it's not just lazy journalism, it's because she's very ordinary. Hell, Hero from Mimi Soya, I rate as a better vocalist than Hayley...and when she left Mimi Soya, they managed to replace her with someone that sounded exactly fucking like her...definitely ordinary.

Can definitely get behind Al Green being on here.

Never liked AC/DC, nothing about them has ever made any impression on me...and fuck it, Brian Johnson is a local bloke, so I'm always going to back him if I have to choose an AC/DC vocalist.

I'm weird with Thom Yorke. I think he's a very good, soothing vocalist. But I find Radiohead very overrated for the most part. I much prefer his solo album as a whole to anything Radiohead have ever done, even their 'classic' albums.

Tool are alright, not a band I tend to listen to, but I'd never complain if someone put them on...but I don't really know anyone who likes them, so it's not really a dilemma I'll face. However, the vocals are basically the lowest/'worst' part of the music, so I'd never imagine the singer being on the list.

I'm in the pro-Lemmy camp, seeing as I nominated Frankie Stubbs, whose voice is the audio equivalent of iron rusting. Just because someone isn't 'technically' great doesn't mean there isn't something about him. He's distinct and like Skummy I do love a 'gravelly' voice.

I really don't like Joy Division...yet love New Order...this is going to get stranger because despite this I think Ian Curtis is a fantastic vocalist. Dark and emotive. It's one of those things that I wish I could like Joy Division, hell I've tried, I just can't.

Okay...sorry...but who!? Should I know who Heart are?

I'm not going to complain about Matt Bellamy being on the list. "Absolution" is probably my favourite album ever. It's almost as if, like Muse in general, he's become a parody of himself now, but when actually allowing his vocals to be delicate, they are incredibly beautiful and moving.

I love Rod. Pop-Rod is amazing, because it's utter cheese, but fantastic. He's an institution, you can't hate him. I'm not massively familiar with a lot of his work, but there is a bit of variation in there with what he's done, and he's managed it well. No real complaints.

I admit, Nick Drake is not someone I've listened to. But I'm going through youtube videos now and fuck me he's good.

Okay, I rate Jack White. He's different, yes he can be a bit too silly and OTT at times, but there's something about him. I just wish his bands were generally a bit better, as it's quite sad that I do admit to him being a great vocalist, but the only thing I ever have the urge to sing along with is the riff to "Seven Nation Army". :shifty:

Love James Brown. Good call.

Trent...not a fan. Him and his music doesn't do anything for me.

As said above...I'd back him over Bon Scott. :shifty:

Geddy Lee...don't like his band, and from what I have established from it, a lot like Tool, the vocals don't really seem the major focal point.

Tom Jones...amazing, absolutely no complaints. Powerful voice, distinctive.

Madonna...never thought of her as a great vocalist. I love her 80's albums, but it's more for the fact they're the pinnacle of pop-cheese and cliché, which everyone else wants to aspire to.

Ray Charles is bloody great. If I had to pick a list of my "Best" singers, he'd probably be very high. My mam's a big fan. I can never really remember much 'popular' music from the parents in the house growing up (if anything was played, it'd generally be jazz by my dad), but I remember Ray Charles (and Blood, Sweat & Tears :shifty:).

I'm going to follow on from what metalman said about Stevie Wonder. Good singer, I don't think of him as amazing, but his songs and arrangements tended to be amazing.

I'll also reiterate the point that has been brought up, it's 'favourite' vocalists, not 'best'. Elvis is amazing, But I 'never' fucking listen to Elvis. Yet, when I've had a shit day, I'll throw on some Mike Hale and find comfort in the fact he's a man whose voice sounds like he's having a major emotional breakdown. And for that reason, he's one of my 'favourite' vocalists. Zoli Teglas topped my list because he has a voice like nobody else I've heard in punk-rock. Even in a time where everyone seems to copy off each other and throws their voice to be like someone else, I've heard nothing like him in the genre. Similarly, John K Samson...he has the strangest 'nasal' voice...it's like he's pinching his nose all the time...but it's different, and it works, so I love it.