EWB's 51 Favorite Singers 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I'm not a massive Slipknot or Stone Sour fan, but to claim that Corey Taylor is shit seems just... naive? :huh:

He may not be to your taste, but I hardly see how he can be called shit.

Patsy Cline, really? Shit, EWB, where did that come from?

:angry:

I didn't mean it was a bad thing, I was just utterly baffled to see her name up there. You surprise me sometimes EWB. And then you break my heart. Seriously guys, fucking Corey Taylor?

20. Bruce Springsteen (20 points, 4 ballots) (Last Time: #15)

JAMES-HETFIELD.jpg

17. James Hetfield (21 points, 4 ballots) (Last Time: The Only Time Metallica Wasn't on an EWB Music List Ever)

17. Debbie Harry (21 points, 4 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

17. Michael Jackson (21 points, 4 ballots) (Last Time: #16)

15. Eddie Vedder (23 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: N/A)

15. Chris Cornell (23 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #10)

NEXT TIME: Just like last year, #14 - #11 is a fairly impressive list of four artists who just barely missed the top ten. Be intrigued!

I'm a big fan of The Boss, but his voice isn't exactly top of my list of reasons why.

James Hetfield - meh. Take him or leave him, really. He's not bad, but pretty unremarkable to me. If you like Metallica, then yeah, I guess.

I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, as I've probably explained here plenty of times, but you can't deny the fella could sing. Just doesn't really do anything for me.

Can't stand Eddie Vedder. There's some Pearl Jam songs I like more for nostalgic reasons than anything, but he's responsible for a whole wave of bland deep-voiced post-grunge American "alternative" rock vocalists, and for that alone he pisses me off.

I like Soundgarden, and Euphoria Morning, but couldn't give a toss about anything else Cornell has done. Good voice, but wouldn't make my list.

Corey Taylor - I don't like him.

Liam Gallagher is dreadful. What crazy people went and voted for him?

I don't really know Shirley Manson.

I don't really like Aretha Franklin. Undeniably a good singer, but not for me thanks.

I am not at all familiar with Neko Case and Patsy Cline.

After putting quite a lot of thought into, I've realised I don't like Bruce Springsteen all that much. Nor do I think he is a particularly good singer.

James Hetfield - can't sing.

Debbie Harry - I do love Blondie, but I've always thought the vocals were quite weak. I'm of the opinion that they are one of the least important facets of the whole Debbie Harry package.

Michael Jackson is a good singer. I tend to change my mind about whether I like Michael Jackson's music or not. Right now I like it.

I think very little of both Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell.

Yeah, I like this five.

I do quite enjoy Bruce, as he does remind me of Vedder (yes, I know Bruce came first and what not blah blah).

I voted for Hetfield, and I know he's not a great straight up singer as such, but he does what he does good and manages to seem like he means it when he does.

Debbie Harry is the only one I'm not familiar with.

Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson.

In hindsight, at the present moment (of me listening to a lot of Pearl Jam/EV solo work), I probably should've put Vedder ahead of Cornell. His voice is more versatile I guess. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it already but listen to the Into The WIld soundtrack, completely done by Vedder. It's full of folk-like, emotional songs. One of my favourites off the album is "The Wolf", a song where he doesn't sing, but instead howl's like a wolf. That album show's he's more versatile than Cornell, and the fact that Vedder has managed to retain his voice and somewhat evolve it from the early days of Ten and Vs., while Cornell's has sounded completely shot to shit, even if the clips of heard of the recent Soundgarden reformation he sounds good again. We all know that Scream was a bit naff and personally Carry On was boring. But I do LOVE the TOTD, Badmotorfinger and Superunknown era Cornell.

OK, Slipknot is cool live, and I actually tolerate Stone Sour, but, yeah, dead horse.

I forgot to vote for Janis. Not that she would have made the list, but, yeah. Probably would list Reba McEntire if I was voting over again. Maybe Big Momma Cass too.

Also, I'd love a frontperson list. My ten would go something like this (off the top of my head, no order):

Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

Gwen Stefani (No Doubt)

Iggy Pop (Iggy and the Stooges)

Johnny Rotten (The Sex Pistols)

Jim Morrison (The Doors)

John Lennon (The Beatles)

Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)

Jonathan Davis (KoRn)

Janis Joplin (Big Brother and the Holding Company)

Ice T (Body Count)

That's just frontpeople for true bands, otherwise I'd find a spot for Garth Brooks too.

Some great Corey Taylor singing, but this song by Stone Sour is the biggest reason I voted for his good singing. I understand everyone's taste is different, but he's not just about Slipknot's screaming stuff, the guy can actually sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EtA4Ky2lwk

Plus, on the Slipknot song "Snuff," he shows he can sing, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dTo48hSLsw

Christ, I know listening to Slipknot must set your standards pretty low, but how bad does it have to be before your criteria for voting someone as one of your ten favourite singers of all time is "he can sing"?

• Like 1

I like Eddie Vedder. Sure, he spawned a lot of shit, but he works for me.

John Bonham spawned douchebags thinking they can do a drum solo. That doesn't mean he sucks. It means he's amazing and everyone else is a cheap imitation not worth your time. Generally I feel the same applies for Vedder.

Christ, I know listening to Slipknot must set your standards pretty low, but how bad does it have to be before your criteria for voting someone as one of your ten favourite singers of all time is "he can sing"?

Uhhh, isn't the criteria for all-time favorite singers being the fact that they can sing? I mean, it's in the title...I'm just posting those for people who say he can't or that he was a bad choice...