The FA Cup Thread 2010/2011

DFF

Two footed, but then so was Rafael a minute ago.

Two completely different tackles. Gerrard left the ground, two-footed and he caught Carrick. It was going to be a red card no matter what. Rafael didn't even slide, it just kind of happened.

The penalty and the red card both kind of ruined the game. Man U didn't take advantage and Liverpool held there own. The penalty was really soft, but it was a clumsy challenge in the box. Which, in modern day football, you can get penalized for.

Also, lol Town. Chelsea are hammering us.

Rafael's tackle could still have been incredibly nasty. He stomped with two feet, and Meireles was lucky that he got out of the way. You don't need to slide for a tackle to be dangerous, two footed or not. It was a bit like that Gerrard tackle in the derby years ago.

I can't say I remember Gerrard's tackle. But I don't think the comparison between Gerrard and Rafael's tackle is fair. If he'd made contact maybe I'd see it a different way, but it didn't look dangerous or malicious. It just kind of looked like it hit his left foot.

But as I said, if he'd have made contact - maybe I'd be seeing it completely differently.

You should've let Keano stay. :shifty:

The penalty was debatable, Gerrard's red was clear as day, Rafael could've been cautioned, and all in all the match wasn't that great. Or it might've been that I watched it with a friend who it turns out doesn't give a rat's ass about football. Won't make that mistake again. >_> Happy with the result, but we really should start killing games off - not that Liverpool really posed any serious threat, but it's going to (and has already) backfire on us every now and then.

Leicester 2-2 Man City, City under-performing again, fully expect them to go through at the replay at Eastland though.

Crawley Town vs Derby County tomorrow night, I smell a giant killing! :P

• Admin

As much as I hate defending Man Utd....

I can't believe anyone would say that the Berbatov thing wasn't a penalty.

Did Agger get the ball with the swipe of his leg? No

Did Agger make contact with Berbatov? Yes

Was the contact made in the penalty area? Yes

Berbatov's theatrics are irrelevant - the three constituent parts above equal penalty.

The only argument you could make against it would be if Agger didn't touch him or if he got the ball.

And Giggs getting poleaxed in the area later on looked even more of a penalty, and that wasn't given.

As for Gerrard - I would of sent him off in a heartbeat. Horrible challenge.

• Like 5

Yeah, it's borderline at worst, so the Liverpool fans who've been posting 'Webb MOTM' and 'Webb 1-0 Liverpool' on Facebook have been pretty annoying, especially when the majority have been whinging about the Gerrard decision too. I hate the average footy fan :@

Especially Babel.

To add to the social networking idiocy, following Jose Enrique's banning from Twitter after announcing he was injured before the Spurs game, he then kindly posted his new knock on Facebook before Stevenage. Yes opposition right wingers, we're going to let you know you're up against James Perch just so you can have a good nights sleep...

As much as I hate defending Man Utd....

I can't believe anyone would say that the Berbatov thing wasn't a penalty.

Did Agger get the ball with the swipe of his leg? No

Did Agger make contact with Berbatov? Yes

Was the contact made in the penalty area? Yes

Berbatov's theatrics are irrelevant - the three constituent parts above equal penalty.

The only argument you could make against it would be if Agger didn't touch him or if he got the ball.

And Giggs getting poleaxed in the area later on looked even more of a penalty, and that wasn't given.

As for Gerrard - I would of sent him off in a heartbeat. Horrible challenge.

I'm a United fan and I thought it was a soft penalty. But your simple logic does put it into perspective, I also always ask myself, would it have been a freekick outside of the area? And in this case I'm sure it would have, so there should be no arguments?!

Also there was an incident just before Giggs was taken down in the area when Johnny Evans was pushed from behind in the area and that wasn't given. This also was more of a penalty but we never here about these decisions from the blind anti-Man Utd Liverpool fans!

On a side note Gerrard's tackle was nasty and deserved a red, having played football at semi-professional level myself if that would have happened to me or one of my team, I would be very unhappy.

In the interpretations of the law? Probably reason to give a penalty. In terms of simulation and honesty? No fucking way. Berbatov dived. Minimal contact at best. Is it right? Nope.

In the interpretations of the law? Probably reason to give a penalty. In terms of simulation and honesty? No fucking way. Berbatov dived. Minimal contact at best. Is it right? Nope.

Exactly. This whole 'minimal contact' bollocks only started when image became an issue. When Gerrard dived against Sheffield United on the opening day a few seasons back Gray and the rest of the talking twats were quick to rush to his defence, because you can't admit an English player dives, saying that the defenders foot was in the way so Gerrard was right to go down in 'anticipation.'

As usual, instead of tackling a problem the people in charge took the easy way out.