2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

Yea..this is fucking stupid. DeMoron Smith and Roger Greedell obviously haven't learned from the popularity dive that MLB and NHL suffered after their respective lockouts.

And in a very nice "fuck you" from the NFL...

At a time when thousands of employees are fighting for their collective bargaining rights, this union has chosen to abandon collective bargaining in favor of a sham ‘decertification’ and antitrust litigation. This litigation maneuver is built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement.

I love how they're decertifying but filing joint lawsuits together and basically engaging in a high stakes case of dickwaving.

"We are committed to getting an agreement done, but the owners need to step up to the table and give us everything we want in the next 15 minutes or we're decertifying".

*The owners don't bite*

"We are now committed to seeing the legal process handle this because the owners weren't negotiating in good faith!"

The owners haven't yet locked them out, but all the paperwork for decertification and class action lawsuits are already where they need to be.

In short, fuck off NFLPA that is no longer an NFLPA.

This is all the owners fault in the first place.

I don't think the NFLPA was overstepping it's boundaries by asking to see proof that the owners needed more money. I think that every NFL team that is playing in a taxpayer funded stadium should have it's books available to the public anyway, so why can't they show the players?

Both sides are wrong here but it was the greed of the owners that started all of this so I hope that in the end they lose and come out much worse off than they were prior to them opting out of the CBA.

• Like 1

This is all the owners fault in the first place.

I don't think the NFLPA was overstepping it's boundaries by asking to see proof that the owners needed more money. I think that every NFL team that is playing in a taxpayer funded stadium should have it's books available to the public anyway, so why can't they show the players?

Both sides are wrong here but it was the greed of the owners that started all of this so I hope that in the end they lose and come out much worse off than they were prior to them opting out of the CBA.

Not going to happen. At best, the next season will be played under the previous season's rules. In the long run there will be a rookie cap, a 17 or 18 game season and players will still not be playing with guaranteed contracts. It's just a lot of grandstanding that will ultimately end up with the players losing since this isn't MLB.

Ideally, I'd like to see the schedule stay like it is and the rookie pay scale put into place.

Cutting the # of pre-season games and expanding the # of regular season games is a bad idea, in my opinion, because its going to lead to more injuries and teams even `throwing' games by resting their starters more close to the end of the season so they're rested for the playoffs. Without a roster expansion accompanying it, its a horrible idea.

*edit* And I don't know about anyone else, but frankly I don't give a rat's ass about the players or owners. The only people I'm worried about being affected in all this are the thousands of people who are going to be out of work if the season is cancelled or delayed if things aren't settled, like the vendors, parking attendants, ticket takers, etc. Its billionaires vs. millionaires and wanna-be millionaires.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

Not going to happen. At best, the next season will be played under the previous season's rules. In the long run there will be a rookie cap, a 17 or 18 game season and players will still not be playing with guaranteed contracts. It's just a lot of grandstanding that will ultimately end up with the players losing since this isn't MLB.

The extended season is reportedly off the table now.

Ideally, I'd like to see the schedule stay like it is and the rookie pay scale put into place.

Cutting the # of pre-season games and expanding the # of regular season games is a bad idea, in my opinion, because its going to lead to more injuries and teams even `throwing' games by resting their starters more close to the end of the season so they're rested for the playoffs. Without a roster expansion accompanying it, its a horrible idea.

*edit* And I don't know about anyone else, but frankly I don't give a rat's ass about the players or owners. The only people I'm worried about being affected in all this are the thousands of people who are going to be out of work if the season is cancelled or delayed if things aren't settled, like the vendors, parking attendants, ticket takers, etc. Its billionaires vs. millionaires and wanna-be millionaires.

This is a big thing being lost in the discussion here. Not to mention the restaurants, bars, etc which are around stadiums that see incredible business during home games and most Sundays during the season. A lot of money stands to be lost outside of what the NFL considers its money. Not to mention the fans, who spend tons of money on the NFL, aren't getting a refund on their latest jersey purchase or anything.

• 5 weeks later...

Can I just say how fucking pathetic it is that Tom Brady still cries over being snubbed on draft day? How fucking insecure can you be that you're STILL not over it? You made it, you excelled, you proved everyone wrong and now you're a multimillionaire with a supermodel girlfriend. Now fuck off, because there's hundreds of college students who don't even get drafted and never get an opportunity to prove anyone wrong.

• Like 4

If I were him I'd be grateful he fell to the Patriots because any other team, he may not have gotten his chance and I truly believe without the coaching and the Patriots system, he wouldn't be half the player he is today.

Wah wah wah, I had to wait a few years for my huge payday, get over it Tom.

Edited by The Cool One

Can I just say how fucking pathetic it is that Tom Brady still cries over being snubbed on draft day? How fucking insecure can you be that you're STILL not over it? You made it, you excelled, you proved everyone wrong and now you're a multimillionaire with a supermodel girlfriend. Now fuck off, because there's hundreds of college students who don't even get drafted and never get an opportunity to prove anyone wrong.

Blame the NFL for that one for shorting the draft to 7 rounds.

I actually wiki'd that a few weeks ago when learning of the "award"

Several players who have been presented with this dubious honor have nevertheless succeeded in making the team that drafted them, with significant contributions on the field.

Bill Kenney, who won the 1978 Mr. Irrelevant award, earned the award as the second-to-last selection when the last player taken suffered a back injury and failed to report to camp, and was even honored with an invitation to the Pro Bowl in 1983.

Special teams player Marty Moore became the first Mr. Irrelevant to play in a Super Bowl, with the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI.

Jim Finn was the starting fullback for the New York Giants, and was a part of their Super Bowl Championship in 2008.

2008 winner David Vobora is a starting linebacker for the St. Louis Rams beginning in the 2009 season.

2009 winner Ryan Succop became the kicker for the Kansas City Chiefs, and kicked a winning field goal to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers on November 22, 2009. He went on to tie the NFL record for highest field goal percentage by a rookie in a season with 86.2%, and also passed NFL Hall of Famer Jan Stenerud for most field goals made by a rookie in Chiefs history. Succop was awarded the Mack Lee Hill Award that year.[1]

Completely irrelevant to what I'm saying.

I know that wasn't the point of the post, I'm just saying it's not Brady's fault only 256 or so people get drafted every year and he barely made it.

Truth be told, New England was his first real shot. Does he need to cry about it, no, but if he wants to then let him.

• Like 1

And does anyone know if any "Mr. Irrelevant" has ever actually made it onto an NFL roster or even a practice squad?

Ryan Succop has had a pretty solid career for the Chiefs this far after being taken last. Don't know of any other without research.

I know that wasn't the point of the post, I'm just saying it's not Brady's fault only 256 or so people get drafted every year and he barely made it.

Truth be told, New England was his first real shot. Does he need to cry about it, no, but if he wants to then let him.

And I'm not saying it is his fault. I'm saying he should be aware of the situation and realize how goddamn lucky he is and get over getting snubbed, because there are countless players who will never get the same sort of shot he got. He comes off as ungrateful and insecure and for some reason ESPN is trying to glamorize it.

And I'm not saying it is his fault. I'm saying he should be aware of the situation and realize how goddamn lucky he is and get over getting snubbed, because there are countless players who will never get the same sort of shot he got. He comes off as ungrateful and insecure and for some reason ESPN is trying to glamorize it.

and you're completely right, I just didn't see the point in all of the ribbing.