2011 NFL Offseason Thread

sahyder1

They could work around the cap space with a massive signing bonus I'd imagine. his reeks of a Jets signing though. Big obnoxious statement of intent that they can't sustain in the longrun when they should be focusing on other positions, followed by more hype and Rex being a massive knob.

That's pretty much what I meant. They've already re-signed Holmes, which means they will lose Edwards. They're also probably going to lose Brad Smith, so unless Revis and Asomugha are going to play both ways and occasionally line up on the D-Line, I don't see the purpose. Sanchez was barely adequate with all the weapons he had last year, I can't see the Jets offense being better off with less options.

Holmes doesn't rule out Edwards it just doesn't make it necessary to retain him. And with Asomugha I heard the jets are talking to the players trying to restructure contracts in order to fit him in. I don't see this limiting the options the team has to the extent of outweighing the addition of one of the best corners in the NFL.

Holmes doesn't rule out Edwards it just doesn't make it necessary to retain him. And with Asomugha I heard the jets are talking to the players trying to restructure contracts in order to fit him in. I don't see this limiting the options the team has to the extent of outweighing the addition of one of the best corners in the NFL.

They just allegedly gave Holmes $50 million. There's no way they can afford to pay Asomugha, Edwards, Smith and everyone else the Jets are rumored to be interested in putting (back) in green this year. All that BS about players wanting to play for Rex is rendered moot by the fact that none of them are willing to take a paycut to play for the Jets. At the end of the day they still don't have a pass rusher worth a damn and that's one of their biggest weaknesses. If this was under MLB rules I could see the Jets trying to play the Yankees by trying to sign the biggest name free agent at every position, but that's just not possible regardless of who wants to restructure deals. Cap hits are still cap hits.

Santonio Holmes took less money from the Jets than what other teams were offering him to re-sign.

Some of the team are also restructuring deals to free up some more cap space.

They just gave a guy who has had one season of more than 55 catches and never caught more than 8 TDs, $10 million per year. That's not a discount. If you've been looking at some of the outrageous deals that have been signed this week, you should be preparing for the 2021 version of the lockout already.

EDIT: And he's also one joint away from missing a full season.

Edited by naiwf

The thought of Asomugha and Revis in the same line-up scares me.

Then the thought of Reed and Asomugha in the same D-Back corps should give you daily night terrors.

As much as they are saying that the 9'ers, Jets and Bucs are the front runners it wouldn't surprise me to the see Baltimore swoop in and win the whole thing (and with only about 20% homer-ism in this post)

Of course I mean the Asomugha sweepstakes not the Superbowl (Let's not open that can of worms for a while until Rex Ryan says it first)

The Ravens freed up the cap space to make sure they could lock up Yanda (done) and make a run at the big name FAs. Unless a GM loses it and offers Mason or Heap much more than they're worth I'd expect both to come back as a discount. Baltimore has been listed as an Asomugha dark horse since day one so I have a lot of doubts we'll get him, it seems almost too obvious. I could see the Jets landing him, but it makes no sense since that offense looks like it's going to be anemic next year. Plus, the Jets make no effort at depth on either side of the ball so they would be much wiser to add bodies instead of anymore big names.

I like Tavaris Jackson from the glimpses I've seen over the years.

Whose dick has Tavaris Jackson been sucking? Have you actually seen him play?

I like Tavaris Jackson from the glimpses I've seen over the years.

Whose dick has Tavaris Jackson been sucking? Have you actually seen him play?

Yes I have seen him play. He's not fantastic by any means, but the Seahawks could do worse for what I imagine the low price Jackson comes with.

Schefter's reporting that Haynesworth's going to New England for a 2013 5th rounder. Now watch him turn into a Hall of Famer. Fuck off, Belichick. >_>

I am sure he will love going back to a 3-4 defense. Hopefully he will actually play as a DE this time since Wilfork >>>> Haynesworth anyways.

Radio station in Philly had Adam Shefter on..he's saying the Eagles signed Jason Babin to a 5 year deal. Ugh...we had it in 2009 and he did jack shit, he goes to the Titans, has the season of his career, and we resign him. I don't like this..

Sorry, not Adam Shefter...Sal Pal is the one reporting it

Second post..more Chris Kluwe awesomeness..

Donovan McNabb(notes), as you know, will be playing quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in 2011. Also, as you probably know, McNabb has been wearing the number five his whole career.

What you might not know, unless you really love punting, is that Vikings punter Chris Kluwe(notes) already wears number five for the Minnesota Vikings.

Is there a deal to be worked out that would get McNabb the number five? There is! As it happens, Chris Kluwe is a prolific tweeter, and posted this upon the news of McNabb heading north.

if_mcnabb_wants_hell_be_promoting_a_punters_rock_band.jpg

Tripping Icarus is a progressive rock band in Minneapolis. Their bassist is Chris Kluwe.

You can visit their Facebook page here, and listen to some of their songs here. Rolling Stone said "they are to the Minneapolis rock scene what MouseRat is to Pawnee." OK, they didn't say that. I said that.

I admire Kluwe's creativity here. Punters generally don't get a lot of microphones shoved in their faces. If he wanted to be the subject of his own press conference, Chris Kluwe would have to, I don't know, take the snap and literally eat a leather football right there on the field of play. McNabb mentions that he has athlete's foot, and there are reporters camped outside his bathroom window.

I'm ready to name Chris Kluwe the second-best punting number-seller in NFL history. Jeff Feagles(notes) remains at the top of that list, having gotten Eli Manning(notes) to pay for a family vacation to Florida in exchange for the No. 10. He then later sold another number to Plaxico Burress(notes) for ... well, Plaxico may have shafted him on that deal.