Sonisphere UK: 2011

Timmoru Suzuki

With the latest announcements, I figured it was time Soni had it's own thread, like Download, High Voltage and Bloodstock. It's July 8th-10th.

Announced; Sum 41, Arch Enemy, You Me At Six, All Time Low, House of Pain, Periphery, Grinspoon and FOZZY.

So:

Friday

METALLICA

Megadeath

Slayer

Anthrax

Diamond Head

Saturday

BIFFY CLYRO

Weezer

Sunday

SLIPKNOT

Limp Bizkit

Also booked:

Motorhead

You Me at Six

The Sisters of Mercy

Mastodon

All Time Low

Airborne

Fozzy

Sum 41

In Flames

Parkway Drive

Architects

Kids in Glass Houses

Arch Enemy

Gallows

House of Pain

Gojira

Volbeat

One Minute Silence

Periphery

Grinspoon

In Me

Protest the Hero

Cue the expected posts: Arguing over which has the better line-up - here or Download (for the record once more it's Download for me but I'll be at both), Skummy vs. the line-up, lol @ Biffy, and Y2J! Y2J! Y2J! etc, etc.

The present Lady Skumfrog is going to this, I think.

House Of Pain being added is...absurd. I don't know. I really don't know how that makes me feel.

I really don't give a toss about "The Big Four", but for most metal fans you're not going to get a better group of headliners, so it is pretty impressive. And considering the last time they all played together they collaborated on "Am I Evil", I've got to think they're planning that again with Diamond Head. And, as much as I slate metal fans and metal festivals for valuing longevity over talent and innovation, Diamond Head fucking rock.

Couldn't give a toss about Biffy Clyro, I don't think I can remember a single one of their songs, and Weezer haven't done anything good in years.

Apparently Sunday is for metal fans content to live ten years in the past, rather than twenty. Limp Bizkit, really? Really? When Slipknot look like high-art in comparison, you're doing it wrong.

As for the rest;

Motorhead are one of my all-time favourite bands, so no complaints there.

Sisters Of Mercy are brilliant, but I don't know why they're playing. It's 2011, they've not put out anything new, and they don't really fit the bill.

Mastodon are amazing. Saw them live a couple of years ago, didn't really know who they were, and they blew me away. Highly recommended.

Grinspoon, Gojira and Volbeat would probably all be worth a shot. Fozzy for the novelty value, but they can't write a good song, I preferred them as a glorified covers band.

The rest I either don't know, are shit, or I couldn't give a toss about.

• 2 weeks later...

New Announcements: Opeth, The Mars Volta, Watain, Firewind, Rise to Remain, Six Hour Sundown, The Treatment, Black Tide, Four Year Strong, The Black Dahlia Murder and the almighty ALESTORM.

Fuck all you haters, I love Alestorm. If they were the only band announced at all so far, I'd be mighty tempted with going.

The present Lady Skumfrog is going to this, I think.

House Of Pain being added is...absurd. I don't know. I really don't know how that makes me feel.

I really don't give a toss about "The Big Four", but for most metal fans you're not going to get a better group of headliners, so it is pretty impressive. And considering the last time they all played together they collaborated on "Am I Evil", I've got to think they're planning that again with Diamond Head. And, as much as I slate metal fans and metal festivals for valuing longevity over talent and innovation, Diamond Head fucking rock.

Couldn't give a toss about Biffy Clyro, I don't think I can remember a single one of their songs, and Weezer haven't done anything good in years.

Apparently Sunday is for metal fans content to live ten years in the past, rather than twenty. Limp Bizkit, really? Really? When Slipknot look like high-art in comparison, you're doing it wrong.

As for the rest;

Motorhead are one of my all-time favourite bands, so no complaints there.

Sisters Of Mercy are brilliant, but I don't know why they're playing. It's 2011, they've not put out anything new, and they don't really fit the bill.

Mastodon are amazing. Saw them live a couple of years ago, didn't really know who they were, and they blew me away. Highly recommended.

Grinspoon, Gojira and Volbeat would probably all be worth a shot. Fozzy for the novelty value, but they can't write a good song, I preferred them as a glorified covers band.

The rest I either don't know, are shit, or I couldn't give a toss about.

I'd be totally with you if it weren't for two things. The first being the absurd idea that a band needs to have released something in order to play a music festival. I have pretty much zero interest in anything new that's being released and I'd much rather pay my money to see a band that I like that I wouldn't normally have the chance to see live (i.e. Enuff Z'Nuff at Download last year). Secondly, Limp Bizkit are still far and beyond one of the most popular metal acts around. Their set at Download in 2009 was fucking incredible and they're still an important staple of DJ sets at rock clubs, around here at least.

But apparently we're not allowed nostalgia?

Nice announcement, band wise (Alestorm, Opeth and Firewind are all fucking immense live).

Has anyone else noticed the day breakdowns though?

Saturday

Biffy Clyro

Weezer

The Mars Volta

You Me At Six

All Time Low

Sum 41

Kids in Glass Houses

Gallows

Architects

Is this Sonisphere or Leeds?

The Sunday look sweet though.

Slipknot

Limp Bizkit

Motorhead

Mastadon

Opeth

Airbourne

In Flames

Parkway Drive

Arch Enemy

House of Pain

Volbeat

Black Tide

Just wondering, don't/didn't Slipknot and Bizkit hate each other, which is part of the reason why the two were booked on separate days for Download '09?

Edited by TheModernWay

• 4 weeks later...

The following were added today:

Bad Religion (Apollo Arena Stage)

Cavalera Conspiracy (Apollo Arena Stage)

Sylosis (Apollo Arena Stage)

Richard Cheese (Saturn Arena Stage)

The Answer (Bohemia)

Cancer Bats (Bohemia)

My Passion (Bohemia)

Paradise Lost (Bohemia)

Glamour Of The Kill (Bohemia)

Kylesa (Bohemia)

Hayseed Dixie (Bohemia)

Pulled Apart By Horses (Bohemia)

Arcane Roots (Red Bull Jam)

Me Vs Hero (Red Bull Jam)

Rolo Tomassi (Red Bull Jam)

Tesseract (Red Bull Jam)

Title Fight (Red Bull Jam)

Tek-One (Red Bull Jam)

Amplifier (Jagermeister Stage)

Anterior (Jagermeister Stage)

The Crave (Jagermeister Stage)

Hounds (Jagermeister Stage)

Demonic Resurrection (Jagermeister Stage)

Jettblack (Jagermeister Stage)

Orange Goblin (Jagermeister Stage)

Fletcher (Jagermeister Stage)

Saint Jude (Jagermeister Stage)

The Virgin Mary’s (Jagermeister Stage)

An okay announcement,though Richard Cheese is an inspired booking.

Richard Cheese :wub:

If he plays on the Saturday, then they'll have one worthwhile act that day :D

He is!

FYI, here's what the line-up is so far:

FRIDAY

Apollo

Metallica

Slayer

Megadeth

Anthrax

Diamond Head

Bohemia

Killing Joke

Hayseed Dixie

My Passion

Black Dahlia Murder

Firewind

Glamour of the Kill

SATURDAY

Apollo

Biffy Clyro

Weezer

You Me At Six

Bad Religion

Cavalera Conspiracy

Architects

Sylosis

Saturn

Mars Volta

All Time Low

Sum 41

Kids In Glass Houses

Gallows

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine

Bohemia

The Sisters of Mercy

Paradise Lost

Gojira

One Minute Silence

Periphery

Pulled Apart By Horses

Grinspoon

SUNDAY

Apollo

Slipknot

Limp Bizkit

Motorhead

Mastodon

Parkway Drive

Arch Enemy

Volbeat

Saturn

Bill Bailey

Opeth

Airbourne

In Flames

House of Pain

Black Tide

Bohemia

Four Year Strong

The Answer

Cancer Bats

InMe

Alestorm

Kylesa

ALSO PLAYING (DAY TBC)

Red Bull Bedroom Jam Stage

Me Vs Hero

Protest The Hero

Rise to Remain

Rolo Tomassi

Tek One

TesseracT

Title Fight

Watain

Jagermeister Stage

Amplifier

Anterior

The Crave

Demonic Resurrection

Fletcher

Fozzy

Hounds

Jettblack

Orange Goblin

St Jude

Six Hour Sundown

The Treatment

The Virginmarys

Richard Cheese! That is inspired.

Also, give a lot of love for both Orange Goblin and Amplifier. Seriously, not a huge OG fan, but they are probably the best band I've ever seen live....twice.

EDIT: Bill Bailey headlining over Opeth.....?

Edited by Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to Sonisphere, I missed Metallica on my birthday during the Death Magnetic tour so they are my main attraction. Shitloads of bands I've never seen that I want to see (Airbourne, Alestorm, Anthrax, Gallows, Killing Joke and Slayer).

Never been to Sonisphere, is it usually older folk? And I love Bill Bailey as well!

• 1 month later...

My mate just confirmed to me that he's managed to score us two free VIP tickets from his work. Im guessing the VIP is the Rock Royalty section. Since a few of my old mates from Uni are going, will be camping with them, but will certainly be making best use of the facilities in the VIP section.

Only issue I have right now is that I can't book the friday off work. I have 3 potential people who can cover my shift though, so hopefully everything will be alright.

Never been to Sonisphere, is it usually older folk? And I love Bill Bailey as well!

Not so much older as quieter. It's a lot more laidback than Download. Whether that's a good thing or not is entirely personal.

This I like the sound of. My annoying mates probably not so much...but I plan on ignoring the majority of them for 3 days so that shouldn't be a big problem.

Ticket arrived in the post today, doesn't feel like it's only a month away.