The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

I really want to play Survivor (more for the post-show connections/social network than anything else because the culture of former Survivor players seems really really cool), but I also really want to play and not fail miserably at Survivor. I'm pretty castable personality-wise as long as I'm not a nervous wreck, but I'd want to drop like thirty pounds and learn some practical shit first.

I've done Survivor like contests before. In high school a Survivor nerd (bigger than I) organized a game with 16 students from different schools and over a long weekend we did a Survivor game. This was back in Season 4 or 5 when Survivor's profile was really quite big. It was videotaped by the guy and he did multiple events of them. I'm pretty sure the guy put them on YouTube somewhere. Would be a total laugh to go back and watch them.

I also did an online Survivor game. The online game, at least for me, was much more taxing. It was a 2 month long process and you get quite involved. I know somebody on the board ran one and I considered joining it, but it really does drain a lot out of you. Didn't GoGo win that?

I've done Survivor like contests before. In high school a Survivor nerd (bigger than I) organized a game with 16 students from different schools and over a long weekend we did a Survivor game. This was back in Season 4 or 5 when Survivor's profile was really quite big. It was videotaped by the guy and he did multiple events of them. I'm pretty sure the guy put them on YouTube somewhere. Would be a total laugh to go back and watch them.

I also did an online Survivor game. The online game, at least for me, was much more taxing. It was a 2 month long process and you get quite involved. I know somebody on the board ran one and I considered joining it, but it really does drain a lot out of you. Didn't GoGo win that?

They're called ORGs. I'm actually in one right now where everyone is a different character from Redemption Island.

It's past the merge right now and I managed to convince Boston Rob to join back up with our tribe after we voted him out. Now I'm running the show and calling all the shots. I have a bad feeling I'm about to get blindsided though.

I won the EWB one that happened a couple months ago, yeah. It was the first Survivor ORG I'd played in eight years and the first after my big conversion to Survivor fandom last year. In previous years I usually made it to the merge and then was voted out right at the start of the jury phase, so actually winning EWB Survivor was fun. Pretty decent mix of good players and pawns.

I'd be interested in playing more of them, though the RP aspect of Zan's got stressful after a certain point.

The ORG I played was probably right around China, because I had just gotten back into Survivor and started to enjoy it. I ended up in fourth place, but only because I was an immunity beast. I had no alliances because they all tried to fuck me over the boot right before the merge, but I ended up winning the challenge for our tribe. After we merged I won immunity and my alliance was dumb enough to vote off my ally instead of voting off somebody from the other tribe. Needless to say, I flipped over to the other tribe, picked them off and almost got to the end, but ended up losing in the second last immunity challenge. It probably would have been more fun had I not spent a month frantically trying to win every immunity challenge so I didn't get voted out. Where is the one you are playing Destroyer?

The game in high school was fun because it was a bunch of teenagers in the woods on a weekend doing random challenges and it was much more fun. Probably because most of us knew each other and Survivor at that point was much bigger at that point. In hindsight, it was probably a law suit waiting to happen for the guy who ran it, considering we had swimming challenges and had to climb trees and we were living in the woods for four nights. It was a lot more fun because only me and a few others even watched Survivor and the rest just wanted to have a fun weekend.

All Survivors being on one island has happened before right? I remember thinking it was a cool idea and I was interested in it staying this way. I do understand why it has to be two separate tribes though on one island, because just one big tribe would be a mess and far less intriguing. You'd have around 16 people playing for individual immunity at once :pervert:

It happened in Palau for one day, in Fiji for a couple days, and Thailand for a couple episodes in one of the dumber twists Survivor's had. Doing it from the start, for good, is a different beast entirely because it has the possibility of fucking with tribal lines and new strategies for pre and post-merge play.

I'm assuming that this will lead to less Pagonging and far more interesting post-merge strategies, so I'm all game for it. Also appealing - the prospect that there will only be one hidden immunity idol. Heck, I'd be happy if they got rid of that already.

Still no cast announcement for One World but hey, at least you can watch a clip from Coach's terrible direct-to-DVD movie! Though they're actually doing a New York premiere tonight, the guest-list of which includes Stephen, Courtney, Cochran, Sophie, and amazingly Christine too. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of the movie.
  • Like 1

It's premiering tonight? What? Are the producers of the movie crazy? This should have been released in December... I smell some Oscar buzz for that film.

Well, it's the New York premiere. There was a premiere in like... Alabama or something in August, that Coach wasn't even able to attend because he was taping South Pacific. Co-star Danielle DiLorenzo was at that one.

I'm super psyched because the last 3 out of 4 seasons have included returning players (of the last 8 seasons, 50% have included returning players). Presumably, with 25/26 coming up, we'll have some old faces back so it'd be nice for a season without returning players. Personally, I'd prefer 25 and 26 to be seasons with all new payers, 27 as a Fans/Favorites type deal or a second chances type show, 28/29 as new players and than finish off the American Survivor franchise with an all star season at 30.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

30 should definitely be an all out all stars. A FvF before that would be great too, Micronesia was amazing. I don't really mind the returning players, I enjoy it for some reason. I've liked both Boston Rob and Coach in their last seasons. Still, some new blood is good so the new all stars will be better.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatching All Stars.

In retrospect, getting rid of Richard Hatch was probably the worst move Mogo Mogo could have made at that point in the game. Richard was dominating challenges, he was great at providing food, he was probably desperate to align with anybody given his position, he was an instant target and was dead meat post-merge. Eliminate Colby and Ethan back to back and it's mind-numbingly dumb. It's funny though, because the Villians did an almost identical stupid series of eliminations when they took out Tyson, Rob M, Coach back to back. All Star seasons seemed to be crippled by the really stupid move of preparing for post-merge WAY too early. Had Lex kept around Colby, Ethan or Richard, chances are they would have dominated Chapera, who probably had a much weaker tribe and would have went into the merge with numbers. The whole "kick out the winners first" is such a horrible strategy. It's even arguable had Saboga not eliminated Tina first, they might have had a better shot in teh second challenge.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

It really is. Watching it now, taking out Richard at that point was by far the worst move that Lex could have made. Take out your main provider, the guy dominating the challenges and the only person who would align with ANYBODY (because, let's be honest, he had no choice) as opposed to Ethan or Jerri (who had allies on the other tribe), Shi Ann or Kathy (who sucked at challenges). It's funny, because the only other person who was logical to keep around - Colby - was eliminated next.

Relationships outside of the game/reputations really screwed All-Stars up and prevented players from making optimal decisions. Kathy shouldn't have let her friendship with Lex get in the way and should have sided with Hatch, Jerri, and Shii-Ann (both of whom it seems like were willing to go with Hatch but backed out when they realized they wouldn't have numbers) to take out either Lex or Colby at that stage. Probably Colby because he's not crucial to team challenges but could be a huge problem in individual challenges.