The Survivor Thread

sahyder1

I hadn't looked at this thread for a while, and wanted to chime in. I also won one of the Survivor EWB attempts, and had a good time playing. We should try and do another one.

As for returning cast-away seasons, I am very surprised they haven't tried to get Sue Hawk and Kelly Wigglesworth to come back and captain tribes.

I'm not. I love Kelly but she's not great TV and doesn't really care about Survivor, Sue is awesome TV but I don't think they want to deal with her after what happened in All-Stars even though I think she wants to play again, and it's now twelve years since that happened. If they had gotten really returning player-happy earlier than they have then I think it would have happened.

If I don't get a call back this time and I have doubts that I will, I'm going to have to send in a tape next opportunity just incase GoGo gets cast so I can complain about him taking my spot.

Someone from EWB cast? Cool. Someone from EWB winning? Amazing.

So, damnit Yubari hit the tread mill and learn how to build a shelter, you're our only hope.

• 3 weeks later...

Been rewatching Fiji, and it has really opened my eyes to how shit it actually was. The reason I've always had a soft spot for Fiji is because it was one of the first Survivors I watched from start to finish, and at the time I was hooked, glued to my computer screen. Over time by watching older seasons, and ofcourse the ones after Fiji I've learned what a makes a good season. I understand what they tried to do with Fiji, but it totally backfired.

The luxury/nothing camp twist resulted in tribes never switching. This was one of those seasons the producers had to intervene big time to spice things up. They picked new tribes, and again the tribe that ended up on the bad beach lost everything. Cassandra ended up being on the good beach the entire freakin' game.

It was strange how much power they gave to one person, in this case the annoying Sylvia, at the start. First she was chosen as the person to fully divide everyone into 2 tribes (because she was the architect :wacko:), then she went to exile island where she got a clue to the idol, and she was guaranteed another few days because she joined the losing tribe. Had it been Alex he would have divided the tribes in such a way he would have had a majority in his tribe and he would have used the clue well. But yeah, Sylvia was stupid.

As far as the cast goes; I actually liked some of them. Alex, Edgardo, Mookie, Dreamz, Yau-Man, Rocky and Michelle I all liked, for varying reasons. I was most impressed with Alex, it's just that he got dealt a bad card and got a bit cocky. Mookie was stupid telling Dreamz about the idol. Dreamz gets too much shit I feel because of what he does in the end, but he did seem to grasp the game, you can tell via his conversation's during the game, and he was great in challenges. Rocky got annoying towards the end of his run, but he was definitely a character. Michelle got robbed by another stupid twist to shake up the game. Yau-Man is just the man, I was heavily rooting for him at the time. Was amazing to see him pull off everything better than the frat boys. On the other hand, Lisi, Sylvia, Cassandra, and I'm forgetting some others utterly sucked.

All in all, crappy season, could have been so much better.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Earl was insanely lucky that his opponents fell apart, but he also played a great game. Really kind of a shame he was bland other than the Manifest Destiny standing on the mountain top moment, an the whole "Snakes are misunderstood.. Now we have an understanding."

Yau Man made Earl exciting to me by osmosis.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not like Spinal Tap, I know that much. I think they genuinely succeeded at what they were trying to do in that video but I'm pretty sure the rest of it is at least part-drama.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting season 25/26 spoilers...

A friend sent me a link today to Sucks and apparently season 25 or 26 is going to be some sort of second chance/unfinished business type twist. Rumoured contestants are Mike Skupin, Silas, Andrew Savage, Kenny from Gabon, Cao Boi, Ace, and Russell Swan. Not sure how much I believe them, as no woman are mentioned, but definitely seems interesting. Season 25 is taping as we speak, so we should know within the next few months if the spoiler is true.

Interesting season 25/26 spoilers...

A friend sent me a link today to Sucks and apparently season 25 or 26 is going to be some sort of second chance/unfinished business type twist. Rumoured contestants are Mike Skupin, Silas, Andrew Savage, Kenny from Gabon, Cao Boi, Ace, and Russell Swan. Not sure how much I believe them, as no woman are mentioned, but definitely seems interesting. Season 25 is taping as we speak, so we should know within the next few months if the spoiler is true.

Been thrown around for a while, and I'd love to see it.

Edit: Considering last episode of One World;

Makes you wonder if a second chance type of season was inspired by Colton having to leave the game. They clearly loved him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hanging around on Survivor Sucks and someone mentioned Heiko Reality.

In the fall, they posted a Survivor series of their own with a twist of high schoolers versus collegiates. If you can suffer through the production quality, it's actually quite interesting. Within the first episode, you get some good strategy coming up and some interesting characters presented.

EPISODE ONE LINK:

I'm going to spoiler my thoughts on the first episode.

Paul actually makes quite a good host, and I believe he produces the show, too. Some good stuff all around.

I really like Connor. If his alliance with Tyson wasn't so obvious, he'd make a good pick to go all the way. The high schoolers are currently far more interesting than the collegiates, but I'd have to Caitlin goes far. She seems super nice and has a good head on her shoulders.

The challenge was fairly well done, although it would have worked better if the log portion was shortened. Either way, I enjoyed it and seeing the high schoolers fumble at the end was fun.

Tyson and Connor made a brilliant move and made Kellan look like an idiot. I like that they need him around though as it'll be interesting to see where he fits in the upcoming episodes. I don't see Connor and Tyson making it to the end due to how obvious their alliance is.

Surprised to see Tyson and Connor gather up two more votes, but not surprised to see Maddie be sent packing.

Overall, this is fun and I'm looking forward to working my way through it.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Cesternino may have just spoiled an aspect of Survivor 25 in his latest podcast with Yul Kwon;

He mentions Jonathan Penner at one point and said that "at that time" he had been in two seasons, which would maybe imply that 25 is a returning player season and that Penner's one of the people in it. If so, awesome, he deserved another chance after how Fans vs. Favorites turned out.

This next season is going to be a hot mess. I can't wait to see the whole cast. I think at this point returning players are almost guaranteed, it's just a matter of who is out there.

EDIT: Also, GoGo, did you hear the Aras and Rob C podcast? It made me like Aras way more than I did before. He's got a great head on his shoulder and really does understand the game. Not so much when he was out there, but he has some great insight into the game.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

• 1 month later...

Okay, so Survivor 26. I have not looked at any official spoilers because I want there to be some mystery to it but here's what I have noticed on Twitter/general internet presence;

I think it's pretty much an open secret that Cochran is playing again, and his twitter goes silent on May 13th, as does Phillip Shephard's and he's also pretty much a lock for another game. What's surprising/interesting to me is that Dawn Meehan's Twitter stops updating on May 14th with no explanation and that's weird because she's super-active on Twitter, so she's probably there. Francesca Hogi's twitter is deleted and I have no clue when that happened so I don't know what to say there but her name came up in that one prospective cast list. Also from RI, Stephanie Valencia's twitter hasn't been updated since the 13th but she doesn't seem to use it that often.

Mildly surprisingly, it doesn't seem like anyone from One World is there. Tarzan, maybe, because he's the only one who doesn't have Twitter. Troyzan may have been an alternate or something but he's definitely back and not playing because he's going to be on an upcoming Rob C podcast. Kat, Colton, and basically everyone else seem to be pretty active on Twitter and some of them have been posting photos so that's a bit harder to fake. But then, Jeff Probst has outright panned the season as being a failure (and I hate that he did that because it means I agree with him on something and he's a douche who still thinks Redemption Island was a good idea), but even the openly "bad" seasons usually have a representative in the first All-Star season after it (Shii-Ann in All-Stars, Yau-Man in FvF, Randy and Sugar in HvV).

I'm sure at least a couple people who'll be on that season have figured out a way to pretend to be active on social media, so that'll be fun. But with half a year to wait for the cast announcement I bet I'll be spoiled no matter what.

• 5 months later...

Bumping this because the Survivor Hall of Fame voting is going on right now. Judging from the executive committee votes that have been posted, Amanda Kimmel is a lock. The other frontrunners at this point in time include Ethan, Rob C., Jerri, and Coach.

Yikes. You know, it's funny because people crap on how bad of a player Russell is... but Amanda is in the same boat. Back-to-back losses and a third time around where she played horribly. I think she didn't play to the cameras as much as Russell did, but she's just as horrible player. People like to think that Amanda deserved to win China (she didn't) and that she got robbed in Micro (she didn't - if anybody did it was Cirie by the final 2 twist). HvV really solidified what a horrible player she was. Guess being a reasonably attractive person who makes it to the finals twice makes you Hall of Fame worthy.

Ethan, Rob C and Jerri would definitely be the three who'd get the nod from me.

I never really liked Amanda but there's a case to be made for her obviously; played 3 times, first 2 times she made it to the end and the third time she made it well past the merge. On the other hand I think her best game was China, other than taking Todd to the end who was awesome (he deserves to return).

Rob C has a big shot due to his podcast. He was very entertaining and good in the Amazon but didn't get to the end nor won, and got booted very early in All Stars. Jerri would make more sense and is more of an iconic figure too. Is Cirie in yet?

Cirie's in.

I think the roster is Russell, Richard, Sandra, Rob M, Parvati, Tom, Cirie and Ozzy who are all in.