General Football Thread

Starvinho

He is one of the most famous figures in football – and probably the least recognised.

Tim Gudgin, who for more than a decade has delivered joy and disappointment reading the BBC football scores, is to retire. Known for his distinctive intonation as he delivers the match results, the BBC veteran will voice his last Final Score programme on BBC2 on 19 November, the week before his 82nd birthday. His career began on British Forces Network Radio in Germany in 1950.

It just won't be the same without him. :crying:

He is one of the most famous figures in football – and probably the least recognised.

Tim Gudgin, who for more than a decade has delivered joy and disappointment reading the BBC football scores, is to retire. Known for his distinctive intonation as he delivers the match results, the BBC veteran will voice his last Final Score programme on BBC2 on 19 November, the week before his 82nd birthday. His career began on British Forces Network Radio in Germany in 1950.

It just won't be the same without him. :crying:

But who will read the scores?

So help me god if its Vernon Kay

• Admin
Nigeria defender Bobsam Elejiko collasped and died while playing for Belgian side Merksem S.C. on Sunday.

The 30-year-old was playing in the fifth-tier game against FC Kaart when he collapsed.

Attempts to resuscitate the defender were unsuccessful and the cause of death was not immediately clear.

"With deep sadness we announce the sudden death of Bobsam Elejiko," Merksem said in a statement.

"He collapsed and died suddenly in the pitch and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

Elejiko had previously played for Westerlo and Antwerp among other teams.

The match was abandoned after Elejiko's death.

The 30-year-old Elejiko had previously played for Westerlo and Antwerp among other teams.

The match was abandoned after Elejiko's death.

Horrible to hear, RIP.

In other news, North Korea are the new Unofficial World Champions after beating Japan 1-0 in a 2014 World Cup qualifier. Japan and Uzbekistan had already qualified, that didn't stop North Korea running around with their national flag after winning the dead rubber though. :shifty:

• Admin

That's brilliant. Especially the biscuit factory bit.

1017 FOOTBALL: Cameroon's players have gone on strike over alleged unpaid appearances fees and are refusing to play a scheduled friendly international in Algeria tonight. A statement from Cameroon's players said they had not received money promised for their appearance in a four-nation tournament in Morocco at the weekend

According to this here link, both Avram Grant and Dave Jones are eyeing up the Northern Ireland job. If that's true (and the BBC are very reliable most of the time) then if I was the Northern Irish FA I'd be leaping all over those two. For me they're by far and away the best candidates linked to the vacancy. The only difficulty would be choosing between them.

I'd definitly go with Jones. Avram Grant is a really likable guy but he isn't a top level manager. You can say he did a decent job at Chelsea, and that he did well with Portsmouth considering the circumstances but I think his lack of actual management skills were severely exposed last season at West Ham.

Also, his stint in charge of the Israel national side (a team similar to Northern Ireland) didn't reap any finals appearances either.

• Admin
A German top-flight football match was postponed after the referee tried to kill himself before the game, according to police and league bosses.

Babak Rafati, 41, was found injured in a hotel room by his assistant referees.

Rafati, a banker who has been a referee since 1997, is said to be in a stable condition in intensive care.

The Cologne versus Mainz 05 Bundesliga match in which he was due to officiate on Saturday was called off 40 minutes before kick-off.

Police from Rafati's native city of Hanover and the German Football Association confirmed to Reuters that the referee had tried to take his own life.

BBC Sport understands that Rafati was found injured two hours before kick-off.

FA president Theo Zwanziger said: "Once he did not show up, because he is always on time, [the assistant referees] tried to reach him by phone in his room.

"They went [to the hotel] and found the door locked.

"They knocked, no-one opened, then they quickly opened the door with the help of hotel staff. They told me what they found.

"I think the most important news is that, health-wise, Babak Rafati is stable. He will be in [intensive care] in the coming days and will need intensive treatment."

Zwanziger later told AFP: "It is an extraordinary situation, when one of our top referees makes a suicide attempt. I have to say, the three assistant referees saved Babak's life.

"One wonders why such a young man sees only hopelessness before him. I can only offer that our referees are exposed to an incredible amount of pressure and we have not managed to get things in the proper balance."

Bundesliga coaches have expressed their shock at the incident.

Schalke coach Huub Stevens said: "It's hard to believe that something like this can happen. I am lost for words.

"Health is always the most important thing and football is only a minor matter in comparison.

"I can imagine no-one wants to play after hearing the news."

Hanover 96 coach Mirko Slomka said: "I know him very well. The news has shocked me greatly."

:( what a relief that they reached him in time! Shocking stuff.

I'd definitly go with Jones. Avram Grant is a really likable guy but he isn't a top level manager. You can say he did a decent job at Chelsea, and that he did well with Portsmouth considering the circumstances but I think his lack of actual management skills were severely exposed last season at West Ham.

Also, his stint in charge of the Israel national side (a team similar to Northern Ireland) didn't reap any finals appearances either.

I can't see Northern Ireland getting to a final any time soon. Not if they keep losing players to the Republic, depleting an already tiny pool.

• Admin
The worldwide players’ union FIFPro and FIFA today announced the 55 players shortlisted for the FIFA FIFPro World XI 2011 (see full list below), which is to be revealed at the FIFA Ballon d’Or in Zurich on 9 January 2012.

The 50,000 professional footballers belonging to the players’ unions across the world that form FIFPro took part in a secret ballot to nominate their peers for inclusion in their World XI – choosing the best four defenders, three midfielders, three forwards and goalkeeper of 2011.

World champions Spain have the most players in the shortlist with 12, followed by eight from Brazil, five each from Germany and England, four from Portugal, three each from France, the Netherlands and Italy, two each from Côte d’Ivoire, Argentina and Uruguay and one each from Serbia, Wales, Belgium, Colombia, Sweden, and Cameroon.

Spain’s Primera Division attracted the most nominees with 22, followed by England’s Premier League with 18 and Italy’s Serie A with nine. Four nominees came from Germany’s Bundesliga and one each from Russia’s Futbolnaja Premjer-liga and Brazil’s Serie A.

The final FIFA FIFPro World XI will be announced at the FIFA Ballon d’Or at the Zurich Kongresshaus on 9 January 2012. During this televised gala, the winner of the FIFA Ballon d’Or for the best player of 2011 and the FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year 2011 award will also be revealed. In addition, the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Men’s Football award and the FIFA World Coach of the Year for Women’s Football award will be presented for the second time. The FIFA Puskás Award for the best goal of the year, the FIFA Presidential Award and the FIFA Fair Play Award will complete the line-up of awards presented during the gala.

The 55-player shortlist in full (home country, current club) is:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy, Juventus), Iker Casillas (Spain, Real Madrid), Manuel Neuer (Germany, Bayern Munich), Víctor Valdes (Spain, Barcelona), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands, retired, formerly Manchester United).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (France, Barcelona), Dani Alves (Brazil, Barcelona), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal, Real Madrid), Ashley Cole (England, Chelsea), Patrice Evra (France, Manchester United), Rio Ferdinand (England, Manchester United), Vincent Kompany (Belgium, Manchester City), Philipp Lahm (Germany, Bayern Munich), Lucio (Brazil, Internazionale), David Luiz (Brazil, Chelsea), Maicon (Brazil, Internazionale), Marcelo (Brazil, Real Madrid), Alessandro Nesta (Italy, AC Milan), Pepe (Portugal, Real Madrid), Gerard Piqué (Spain, Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Spain, Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Spain, Real Madrid), Thiago Silva (Brazil, AC Milan), John Terry (England, Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia, Manchester United).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Spain, Real Madrid), Gareth Bale (Wales, Tottenham Hotspur), Sergio Busquets (Spain, Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Spain, Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Spain, Barcelona), Kaka (Brazil, Real Madrid), Frank Lampard (England, Chelsea), Nani (Portugal, Manchester United), Mesut Ozil (Germany, Real Madrid), Andrea Pirlo (Italy, Juventus), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany, Bayern Munich), David Silva (Spain, Manchester City), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands, Internazionale), Yaya Toure (Côte d’Ivoire, Manchester City), Xavi (Spain, Barcelona).

Forwards: Sergio Aguero (Argentina, Manchester City), Karim Benzema (France, Real Madrid), Edinson Cavani (Uruguay, Napoli), Didier Drogba (Côte d’Ivoire, Chelsea), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon, Anzhi), Radamel Falcao (Colombia, Atletico Madrid), Mario Gomez (Germany, Bayern Munich), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, AC Milan), Lionel Messi (Argentina, Barcelona), Neymar (Brazil, Santos), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Real Madrid), Wayne Rooney (England, Manchester Utd), Luis Suarez (Uruguay, Liverpool), Robin van Persie (Netherlands, Arsenal), David Villa (Spain, Barcelona).

Xavi for me.