Video Game Urban Legends

I just saw this article on Digg (http://www.cracked.com/article_19172_8-creepy-video-game-urban-legends-that-happen-to-be-true.html) and thought it would be interesting if everyone posted the urban legends they heard as a kid about their favorite games. I really want the Polybius rumor to be true.

The Trifoce in Ocerna of Time

Luigi in Mario 64

The original Tomb Raider had nude cheats (hundreds of different variations).

Mario is a communist symbol whose appearance was based on Stalin.

The SNES Mortal Kombat had a special code that unlocked not only blood but super fatalities not seen elsewhere as well as the ability to play as the bosses.

Arcade Perfect Street Fighter 2 for the Game Boy, the cart had an overlay that included six buttons.

There was a Spectrum game program which allowed you to load in any two games and copy sprites across, touch them up and mix the two. Atari were using it for ET2 which was based on Jet Set Willy and they hoped to recoup the loss of the first game. Later generation for Amiga which suggested Nintendo using Amigas to create "High Speed Mario". A little closer as a lot of consoles used Miggys for sprites.

Ermac could be played as in MK1. There was a glitch when fighting scorpion it'd pick up and and change him red. "Error Macro" would be abbreviated into the character box to give the name. The injoke led to them creating a real Ermac.

Playing Resident Evil 2 using only the Handgun would unlock Akuma from the Street Fighter series as a playable character. Apparently someone did mod the PC version to allow you to do so eventually.

Doom was coming out for the Atari 2600. Incidentally I've played a version of Halo, surprisingly good but obviously not a FPS.

Saddam Hussein's nuclear arsenal was powered by PS2s. The true story was Bin Laden always plays as Arsenal on his PS2 but people bought it.

Love stuff like this. Read a few similar articles a while ago, such as here, here, and here.

I also remember a story of Pokemon actually being set just after the end of the Great Pokemon War. Justified by there being no adult males except Oak in Pallet Town, and not many middle-aged men all around Kanto, as well as Lt. Surge's comments about "The War". I can't find the website where I read it though.

EDIT: Found it. Not really an urban legend, more of something fans have read into it.

Edited by WalkerWGZ

I remember hearing a rumour that you could find the Tardis from Dr Who in Fallout 1, if you searched long enough,

You can, I've done it. It dissapears very quickly, but leaves behind a Stealth Boy.

Guest mr. potato head

Mew in the original Pokemon games. IF ONLY YOU COULD MOVE THAT DAMN TRUCK, I JUST KNOW THAT HE'S UNDER THERE!

Yes. I don't know what Ruki's talking about, nobody with half a brain ever believed Pikablu was there, but everyone thought they knew how to get Mew.

Guest JukeboxHero

There were a ton of rumors going around about that secret far off area in the Dam level of GoldenEye.

Oh, and all the Stop N Swop stuff in Banjo-Kazooie.

Edited by JukeboxHero

Mew in the original Pokemon games. IF ONLY YOU COULD MOVE THAT DAMN TRUCK, I JUST KNOW THAT HE'S UNDER THERE!

Yes. I don't know what Ruki's talking about, nobody with half a brain ever believed Pikablu was there, but everyone thought they knew how to get Mew.

I've never heard of the Pikablu, but I could've sworn blind that there actually was a glitch in RBY (certainly R & B) where you could catch Mew... I could be confusing it with Gold and Silver or just completely imagining it, but i'm sure it involved swimming up and down an island or some shit.

Or maybe that was an alternative way of catching Mewtwo. Fuck knows.

I've never heard of the Pikablu, but I could've sworn blind that there actually was a glitch in RBY (certainly R & B) where you could catch Mew... I could be confusing it with Gold and Silver or just completely imagining it, but i'm sure it involved swimming up and down an island or some shit.

Nah, that's Missingno. It's a glitch you could use to duplicate an item 99 times. It involved talking to the drunk guy in Viridian City, swimming up and down the coast of the island with the fire gym.

Nah, that's Missingno. It's a glitch you could use to duplicate an item 99 times. It involved talking to the drunk guy in Viridian City, swimming up and down the coast of the island with the fire gym.

I think I might have got the glitch wrong, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't thinking of MissingNo, it was more than likely the one that apsham said and I probably did it more recently than I thought (I am sad enough to hear about that kind of thing and then play an entire pokemon game just to do it :P )