Video Game Urban Legends

The Mew one, from what I can remember, has you be challenged by a certain trainer only to fly away. I think it has to do with a certain number assigned to the trainer or the way they're placed on the screen, or a combination of the two. Then I think you end up flying to Cerelian and heading up Nugget Bridge and you get put in a battle with Mew at lvl 5.

I caught Mew fishing on an island, or something. I've never owned a gameshark, either, so I don't even remember how I got Mew, but I did. A wild, level 99 one. Or something. There's no way they just discovered how to find it in the last few years, I remember reading FAQs on the 'net when the game first came out in 1998.

The Trifoce in Ocerna of Time

Luigi in Mario 64

What one was that?

On the Status screen in OOT, inside the circle of Medallions, there seems to be a place for the Triforce. People swore it had to be in the game then. Over the years, people have hacked the game to try to find it, with no success (even finding a Star Fox Arwing, which can be found on Youtube). Another red herring was a picture of Link finding the Triforce, but it is clear that is in early beta version.

There were a ton of rumors going around about that secret far off area in the Dam level of GoldenEye.

Oh, and all the Stop N Swop stuff in Banjo-Kazooie.

Stop N Swop is all true though, it is just Rare didn't fully implement it. If you get a Gameshark or use Project 64 on your PC, click on leviation, and it becomes possible to get the Ice Key and the Eggs.

• Like 1

I don't even want to think about how long we tried to do a 3D with the Dudleyz on the first Smackdown for PS1, or how convinced some of the gamefaqs crowd were about it, despite a complete lack of double team moves in the game.

Was it the second SmackDown where it was suggested that if you do 25/50 years of season mode you'd unlock a TLC HIAC?

Their was a few i remember for SmackDown 2

- Doing 20 years as Kane would lead to an Inferno match against Undertaker, if you won you unlocked the Inferno match.

- Playing as Undertaker and winning all matches by KO and putting your opponent through the announcers table would unlock the Limp Bizkit enterence music and video.

- It was possible to do a 3D through a table if set up right.

Edited by TheWho87

There were a ton of rumors going around about that secret far off area in the Dam level of GoldenEye.

Oh, and all the Stop N Swop stuff in Banjo-Kazooie.

The Citadel. It was left over code, you can get it to if you use an emulator.

Final Fantasy 7 was full of this shit.

My friend's sister still insists that she unlocked Zack and revived Aeris, and the 1/35 Soldiers or whatever they were do something. I vaguely remember there being a rumour about a "Rainbow Chocobo" back in the day too.

As for the Mortal Kombat SNES rumours - I actually remember reading that article in my friend's Nintendo magazine way back when, and not owning a SNES I pretty much just took it as gospel. It was well over ten years before I ever found out that the article was an April Fool's Day joke.

On a different note, there's the rumour that Michael Jackson wrote the music for Sonic 3...

You could unlock the burning man seen in the background of one of the pit levels on MK2(?).

They later made a character out of him, Blaze.

Final Fantasy 7 was full of this shit.

My friend's sister still insists that she unlocked Zack and revived Aeris, and the 1/35 Soldiers or whatever they were do something. I vaguely remember there being a rumour about a "Rainbow Chocobo" back in the day too.

As for the Mortal Kombat SNES rumours - I actually remember reading that article in my friend's Nintendo magazine way back when, and not owning a SNES I pretty much just took it as gospel. It was well over ten years before I ever found out that the article was an April Fool's Day joke.

On a different note, there's the rumour that Michael Jackson wrote the music for Sonic 3...

He did. But he wasn't happy with it and didn't want it used, so Sega took his name off it and used it anyway..or something like that

See what I mean? :P

It's an urban legend. Some people have said he did, some say he didn't. Some say he was writing material, but they removed it because of the child abuse scandal, some say some of the music that actually made it into the game was written by him, but they removed his name because of the scandal, some say that Jackson himself wasn't happy with the end result and didn't let them use the music...either way, it's all pretty dubious, and the fact that there isn't a definite answer qualifies it as an urban legend. Scandal or not, if he wrote the music, he would have been credited.

I find it pretty unlikely that he would have been involved, yet somehow with no record of a contract, without the knowledge of Sega executives or the entire marketing department (when, presumably, his involvement would have largely been a marketing decision in the first place), without receiving any credit, and with none of the fabled "demos" ever making their way into the public domain.

I dunno...this is what I got in an article linked from wikipedia

Sega never publicly commented on Jackson's involvement with the game, but over the years, MJ fans (and avid gamers) have kept the rumor alive, creating sites, penning lengthy essays, and even posting YouTube clips comparing music from "Sonic 3" with some of Jackson's songs. However, there was no comment from anyone officially involved — apparently, until now.

In the latest issue of the French-language magazine Black & White — which calls itself "le magazine official de Michael Jackson" — there is an interview with musician Brad Buxer, who, in addition to being credited with composing the music to "Sonic 3," also played keyboards for Jackson on his Dangerous world tour in 1992.

In the interview, Buxer reportedly said, "I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks on which Michael and I have worked the developers have kept, but we did compose music for the game," according to a translation posted on VGMDB.com. "Michael called me at the time for help on this project, and that's what I did. And if he is not credited for composing the music, it's because he was not happy with the sound coming out of the console. At the time, game consoles did not allow an optimal sound reproduction, and Michael found it frustrating. He did not want to be associated with a product that devalued his music."

Buxer also told the magazine that some of the music he and Jackson composed for "Sonic 3" actually ended up being featured on MJ's 1995 double album, HIStory, in particular on a song called "Stranger in Moscow."

"Yes, Michael and I had composed those chords for the game," Buxer said. "And it has been used as a base for 'Stranger in Moscow.' "

Guest mr. potato head

Considering Jackson was credited on The Simpsons as John Jay Smith, he might not have wanted to be credited for Sonic either.