2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

I'd really be looking at other targets. He did well in Scotland no doubt but it's like the 13th ranked league in Europe, and spending 30m+ to play horrible defensive football and score less than a goal a game at Birmingham wouldn't seem to indicate that he'll do well at a club who should be consistently challenging for Europe. Especially at a time when it looks like their two best players could well be leaving and so he'll be entrusted with replacing them - I'm not convinced. I'd go for Hughes before McLeish.

Edited by Pesci

He did do well in Scotland. As did Alex Ferguson, Martin O'Neill, Owen Coyle and numerous others.

Not to mention current golden boy Paul Lambert was absolutely shit in Scotland, but that doesn't stop him being constantly feted these days.

I don't think managing in Scotland makes a manager any less qualified. It may be a lower quality of football, but that doesn't make it any easier to manage in.

I don't think it makes somebody less qualified, but there's a big difference between success in a league with two teams of true European standard and a league with anywhere from 10-12, with about 6 of those being among some of the most impressive sides in the game. A better standard of player needs more tactical nous to counteract them. Plus Fergie is still the last manager to win the Scottish league with somebody other than Rangers or Celtic and managed in Scotland when the league's reputation was a lot better in England so it's hard to compare, Coyle was hired by Bolton more for his style of football than anything else and Martin O'Neill was very impressive at Leicester before he ever managed in Scotland.

I'm not really saying McLeish is a bad manager, just that I don't see why Villa would look at his achievements and decide he's the man for them. Especially if he's known for doing well on a shoe-string budget like you say - his time at Birmingham involved spending big money and he failed, and so would Villa.

Edited by Pesci

He's done that at every team he's managed, but every team he's managed has had shit strikers and a (relatively) good defence, so he had to plau like that really.

But you say that like the quality of strikers was completely outside of his control. He's had time and money at Birmingham to fix it. Only City and Chelsea had a bigger net spend than Birmingham last year.

This is a message to the fans of Aston Villa.

The Club has been reluctant to elaborate publicly on our search for a new manager and, in particular, to confirm or deny our interest in specific candidates.

This is not a new policy, indeed it is the approach that we have taken both in regard to managerial prospects, and potential player signings.

The Club understands that Alex McLeish is a free agent. We therefore intend to interview him imminently in order to make a decision regarding his candidacy to become Villa manager.

From the beginning of our search, we have set out criteria based on proven Premier League experience, compelling leadership, an ethic for hard work and, most importantly, sharing our vision for Aston Villa as we know that without a shared vision any appointment, however attractive, will ultimately fail.

Since 2006 we have approached our custodianship of Villa based on a broad-based strategy of significant investment to improve the squad, the training ground and Villa Park. We feel it is essential to select a manager who understands and supports our strategy for the Club to grow and to be sustainable. Otherwise, the natural tensions and competitive pressures that are involved with every season will ultimately cause instability and make continuity impossible.

We would, however, like to emphasise that in deciding to interview Alex McLeish, the Board has taken his tenure at our local rivals and the strong emotions associated with this very seriously.

We are determined, still, not to allow that three-and-a-half year post to disqualify him should he be the best candidate for the role of Aston Villa manager.

Villa statement.

I dunno, I'll be a Villa fan till the day I die, but I can see the logic behind appointing McLeish, so I'm not screaming to the heavens in anger at the thought of him signing.

He could do well, but he really has to hit the ground running because there is no room for error next season, and that could be the worst thing, a few poor results to begin with and we're looking for another new manager.

Basically, Alex needs to wow Lerner in that interview with his plans for the club or he has no chance.

I know. It's crazy.

Anyway Chelsea apparently offering £130,000 a week to Modric as well as Drogba as part of the deal. Thing is, the Modric wage offers mean NOTHING cos it's down to Daniel Levy who'd only be looking at the transfer fee. Spurs managed to get Modric to sign a deal until 2016 so if they don't want him to leave then HE WON'T LEAVE.

Also, Spurs apparently lining up some movement for Jack Rodwell which would be pretty cool actually.

Talks continue into signing Leandro Damiao from Internacional. When the Sandro deal was done, Levy joined into partnership with Internacional m,eaning that Spurs get first say on their players which is pretty cool.

But he did take the Newcastle job... he was the one in charge when we were relegated >_<

I meant on a permanent basis. The team was doomed at that stage anyway Shearer was never going to have much effect with the exact same over-paid and under-motivated squad. When he gets it permanently and he will, it's only a matter of time, we will see what he's made of as a manager.