2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Wayne Bridge is a left back, but what's the matter on switching sides?

As a left-footed person, I know how hard it is playing right back from the one time I played there. It works with midfielders becasue they can cut on and pose a threat that way. You really don't want your fullback cutting in back by his own goal. If you ant a left footed right back, which is stupid, he's got to have a really good right foot too, something Wayne Bridge doesn't have.

All the other nonsense being spouted I'm just going to ignore because it makes my brain hurt. I thought we had enough after the Tiote is shit because he doesn't play like the demon spawn of Ronaldinho and Xabi Alonso in midfield debacle, but no here we are back to square one :(

11 yellow cards, that speaks for itself.

ELEVEN YELLOW CARDS.

E

L

E

V

E

N

Even De Jong didn't do that badly...

Oh and The Cheikmeister had 14 yellow cards.

F

O

U

R

T

E

E

N

14 marvellous ones at that. :wub:

• Like 2

In fairness, Phil Bardsley went from never looking like he would play for Sunderland again, switched to left back and got a Scotland call up, won the Fans and Players Player of the Year award and is - in many circles - regarding as the greatest full back of all time now. So.. it is possible. But he's good and Wayne Bridge is shit so it's a different story, plus why would Wayne Bridge move to Newcastle? Isn't he putting it to Frankie from the Saturday's? Surely he'll want another move to London if he can. ¬_¬

In fairness, Phil Bardsley went from never looking like he would play for Sunderland again, switched to left back and got a Scotland call up, won the Fans and Players Player of the Year award and is - in many circles - regarding as the greatest full back of all time now. So.. it is possible. But he's good and Wayne Bridge is shit so it's a different story, plus why would Wayne Bridge move to Newcastle? Isn't he putting it to Frankie from the Saturday's? Surely he'll want another move to London if he can. ¬_¬

That's another reason why I don't want him at Newcastle, how could I possibly support someone nailing Frankie? it'd hurt too much.

Right backs have succesfully converted to left backs but that's often out of need for the team more than anything. Left-footed defenders are at a premiumn, reight-footed ones are plentiful while both positions are equally important in the team. It'd just be stupid to convert a left back to a right back unless you have some sort of freak squad full of leftys.

Kevin Nolan having a medical at West Ham. The fact that this looks like it's going through may just knock Asamoah Gyan being offered around Football Manager style off the top of my "ridiculous transfer news" for the week.

Nolan must be getting SERIOUS money, shares in the club and a promise of daily filthy sex from Karren Brady. He had a great season at Newcastle - don't they love him up there now?

I've resigned myself to the fact Shola will always play two good games a year, both against us. I'm pretty sure he just takes the inevitable penalty to take the utter piss to be honest.

And yes, fixtures on Friday. Got a couple of dates that I really don't want them to be (similar to the ones this year) so praying the home match is good for me so I can definitely make it again this year (God knows why I want to after last year mind..)

Phisically he's a beast, A 'Great' Tackling that got him 11 yellow cards, so it means he's just a monster. And his passing, well, from the games I saw, he gave away many passes to the other team.

If you thought Tiote was bad for getting eleven yellow cards through a season, it's a good job you don't watch Scottish football. I think our defensive midfielder for the season got seventeen bookings in thirty games, and even our creative player got sent off three times and booked 8 times :pervert: !

Realistically he's expendable especially with Ben Arfa returning and Cabaye signing. The team is till minus one captain and top scorerat the end of the day and that's always a bad thing but it could be worse.

Tiote or Colo to captain the side no methinks.

You'd think if Newcastle had given indication they were willing to sell Nolan then someone in the Premiership would go for him. It seems such a waste for him to drop down to the Championship after proving he's still more than capable last season. Good luck to him though, after a horrible start to his Newcastle career he turned it around and was one of our most important players the last two seasons.

Nee need for some of the language being directed at the new lad like, if he said it to any of us we'd be up in arms.

Back on topic, and just to throw a spanner in the works with some unfounded gossip, but I heard people reckon Nolan's legs are gone so they want shot while they can cash in?

• Like 2

Nolan's career moves are very strange. Leaves Bolton to join Newcastle half-way through their relegation season and now leaves Newcastle to go to West Ham who are already relegated. I can only conclude that his entire career is motivated by money.

Apparently Barton is "fuming" over the possible sale too and wants to leave. And in typical Newcastle fashion Cabaye will be shit. I think they're going down again next year :shifty:

Kevin Nolan having a medical at West Ham. The fact that this looks like it's going through may just knock Asamoah Gyan being offered around Football Manager style off the top of my "ridiculous transfer news" for the week.

Nolan must be getting SERIOUS money, shares in the club and a promise of daily filthy sex from Karren Brady. He had a great season at Newcastle - don't they love him up there now?

Shouldn't that promise make him not want to go to West Ham, I know that'd put me off.

It's a good move for West Ham but an baffling one for Newcastle. I don't understand the logic behind it.

Frankly based on Bartons recent Twitter nonsense he can follow Nolan out the door (looked likely for weeks anyway, but moreso now). Any other line of work he'd be sacked on the spot for such unprofessional bullshit, and bearing in mind Ashley is the man who didn't tear his contract to shreds whilst serving under Her Majestys Pleasure its absolutely embarassing. When Sky Sports News are reading out his 'mejoseandjonasnext' tweets on TV he's an absolute liability to the squad. Swap deal for Scott Parker...

Oh, and Ace, I forgot that you've got two Ameobis to deal with this season. Could be fun!

I get that Tiote doesn't play football the way they like it in Brazil but you can't deny he's been effective in the English league where a completely different style is needed if you want to survive.

Then I don't get it. Every single Brazilian player that got in the Premiership never changed his style of play, they just bulked up a little.

I thought the dig was because he thought you were Brazilian, even though I'm pretty sure that I remember you as either Spanish or Portuguese <_<

But to be honest, I'm more worried about Nolan leaving, sure he might end up being irrelevant in a few years time, even though he wanted a 5 year contract... but you sorta need players like him and Steve Harper at the club to just keep things ticking along. I'm fearful that we're going to repeat the Spurs season from hell, where they signed loads of players with wonderful potential like Bentley and Dos Santos only to find that no-one clicked together.

As for Barton, Jose and Jonas. Jose was always rumoured to be going to Liverpool (I was actually going to post earlier today that those rumours have died down :/ ). Jonas, despite being an absolutely legendary character... isn't actually a good winger, he just manages to run around a lot and create space. He was a good signing on a free transfer... but then we had to pay Mallorca about £5-6m in compensation. Maybe it'd be a smart idea to sell him before his pace leaves him and he has nothing left... but maybe that's just me being an embittered fan trying to justify him leaving :(

Barton is someone who I'm going to miss, because him, Tiote, Cabaye and Ben Arfa could have made a wonderful midfield for next year :( But he's also an absolute cock when things don't go his way. I'd rather keep him but he seems to want out.

EDIT: Reading the actual tweet and the hashtag has made it impossible for him to stay at the club. I guess I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Edited by The General