2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Downing will put the ball on top of the pirates head. If he sets up enough goals with a cross to Carroll and Adam sets up enough with a corner to Carroll then it's good enough business.

OptaJoe: '135 - Stewart Downing has completed more crosses in open play than any other player in the Premier League over the last three seasons. Whip.'

So you know, if he does that for Liverpool and Carroll is the one on the receiving it then he'll know what to do with it - then it's good business.

Also another stat to make myself feel better:

OptaJoe: '110 - Jordan Henderson, Luka Modric & Samir Nasri have all created 110 PL goalscoring chances since Aug 2009. Transferable.'

Of course, Henderson isn't fit to lace Modric's boots. But still, 110 goalscoring opportunities in a Sunderland team that by large for the second half of the season bypassed the midfield by punting it for the striker to chase? Not bad really. If utilised correctly at Liverpool, as he was with us when he wasn't covering injured players, then him, Downing and Adam all creating chances for Carroll? Might not be too shabby.

Both stats taken from OptaJoe (obviously) and were posted on F365 yesterday - because sometimes F365 have some good stuff in amongst the shite. :-\

Yeah, from those stats it seems pretty clear Kenny has a fairly clear strategy in mind, even at the absurd prices we're paying. Our corner taking has been absolutely woeful for a number of seasons now and our free kicks haven't exactly been great either, so buying Adam would go some way to changing that. And then the stats about Henderson and Downing show that he's looking to go attacking mad, which as a fan is quite exciting.

I'm pretty confident it's our year we'll be back in the top four next season, and I actually think that's a pretty balanced view taking everything into account. I don't see us being too far behind Man City either, if we're even behind them at all.

• Admin
We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Souleymane Coulibaly to join the Club.

The 16-year-old striker hit nine goals in four games for the Ivory Coast during the recent Under-17 World Cup - which included a hat-trick against Brazil and four against Denmark - to secure the golden boot and equal the tournament record set by former Liverpool striker Florent Sinama Pongolle, who achieved the milestone with three more games ten years ago.

Souleymane had previously been part of the youth team of Italian side AC Siena.

Good one for the future Mr. Levy but sign someone more proven please!

Peter Shilton played, for example, until he was 47. There are probably some more recent examples but keepers can go on forever almost.

I think because of his age a two year contract with the option to extend for another year would have been more logical. Then Villa could keep extending his contract for an extra year until he's ready to retire, a bit like we did with VDS. But it's a great deal for Given and he must think he can go on for another five years, and I don't think there's reason why he can't.

No idea why Coulibaly decided to move at 16. He and his dad both seemed to be saying they'd like him to stay at Siena, keep on developing and progressing with the club. Obviously he had a great tournament but it's an interesting one to debate, whether players should stay or move at that age. Then again £1.8m-£2m if earlier reports are to be believed, for a 16 year old, does represent good money given no one can say for certain how he'll develop.

Personally I think he should have stayed with his club, with an international age limit ruling for how old a player can be before he is signed. Still, I assume Spurs can help him improve in the meantime.

Dunno if you'd wanna offer that sort of contract to a keeper who suffered a shoulder injury in the last couple of years, mind.

He'll probably do well at Villa. Great shot-stopper but he's not cut out for one of the big boys.

I'm assuming the last comment is reflective of his age, because Shay Given is only rivalled by Friedel, Cech and VDS for best keeper in Premier League history. Shot stopping, distribution, sheer consistency (rolling the ball once to be tapped in by a striker behind him is the only clanger I can think of in 15+ years), even his command of the box is better than people give him credit for (Villa fans will soon learn about his terrifying high pitched scream).

If, and I'm fairly sure he won't, De Gea ends up being the start of another Man U keeper struggle they could do a lot worse than Given in the same way as picking up VDS at an advanced age. Arsenal should have been kicking the door down frankly.

Dunno if you'd wanna offer that sort of contract to a keeper who suffered a shoulder injury in the last couple of years, mind.

He'll probably do well at Villa. Great shot-stopper but he's not cut out for one of the big boys.

I'm assuming the last comment is reflective of his age, because Shay Given is only rivalled by Friedel, Cech and VDS for best keeper in Premier League history. Shot stopping, distribution, sheer consistency (rolling the ball once to be tapped in by a striker behind him is the only clanger I can think of in 15+ years), even his command of the box is better than people give him credit for (Villa fans will soon learn about his terrifying high pitched scream).

If, and I'm fairly sure he won't, De Gea ends up being the start of another Man U keeper struggle they could do a lot worse than Given in the same way as picking up VDS at an advanced age. Arsenal should have been kicking the door down frankly.

So you've just decided to ignore the likes of Schmeichel then?

I've always rated Given, though rockbox (I think it was him) pointed out something interesting in the past regarding his commanding of the box or something, which he'd obviously explain better. Given had to move though, because he had no chance the day Hart showed up, who is simply a better keeper than what Given is. He'll do well at Villa, really good signing.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect