2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

As the days draw closer to our opening-day game vs. Man United, taking into account Odemwingie picked up an ankle injury at some point in pre-season and won't be fit for Sunday's pre-season game vs. Parma (which automatically makes me worry he won't be 100% for United), I'm starting to be weary of the fact we haven't spent any money this summer, bar £1m for Ben Foster on loan, and we really need a striker and another bloody centre back.

I'd just go for Upson right now to be honest, there aren't many better options, in all honesty. Not any that we could afford, anyway.

And as for a striker, fuck AVB for wanting to give Sturridge a chance. And fuck Fergie for doing the same for Welbeck. And fuck Jon Dahl Tomasson for being a crock and retiring, because I thought he would be a cheap option, slowing down a little but a superb finisher, lethal anticipation with a classy touch, making him a fantastic option for a poacher. I thought he was still playing for god sake! >_<

In other news, it looks like Martin Fulop will sign on as back-up goalie for less than half a million, so its not all bad :shifty:

Marcus Bents available!

SOMEBODY TELL WOY, DAMMIT!

Italian press reporting Wesley Sneijder will play his last game for Inter today and then join Man City for £31m.

Interesting.

I hope this happens so fucking much. I will literally not stop laughing at my mate who's been saying he's definitely signing for scum all summer and would be the "final piece of the jigsaw". Of course, the second he signs for City he'll be shit, overrated, a waste of money and no scum fan wanted him anyway.

£31m seems a bit low though, I was expecting him to go for somewhere in the high 30s.

I don't think United even need Sneijder aswell - well, in fact, most of the non-United fans know they don't need him. He'll just complicate things in the midfield with Rooney dropping deep aswell.

They need to replace Hargreaves more in my opinion. Yeah, he hasn't played for them in any sort of significant role for how long, but now he's gone, they could do with a proper holding midfielder, just a real stopper to relieve Carrick and maybe Fletcher of defensive duties. I know Phil Jones can play that role, but I can't see him being a CDM at United permanently - after all, he and Smalling are ready-made replacements for Terry and Ferdinand at International level.

Heck, in my opinion, they could even do with replacing John O'Shea more than bloody Paul Scholes with Sneijder, because frankly, in the last few seasons, Scholes didn't do anything of real significance and importance for the United side. If the United defensive crisis inevitably strikes again, and 2/3/4 of Vidic, Ferdinand, Rafael, Fabio, Evra, Smalling, Evans and and Jones get injured or suspended or fail to show up for a drugs test or whatever, then who is going to be there? Evans is too 'meh' for United, and Rafael or Fabio playing centre back is a LOL idea, so they won't really have suffiscient back-up in my opinion.

Just my opinion on the whole Sneijder saga. Would be an expensive headache.

• Admin
Derry City have accepted a bid from English Premier League side Sunderland for highly-rated winger James McClean.

The 22-year-old will travel to Sunderland on Monday for a medical.

McClean has been a target for a number of English clubs this summer, with Peterborough United making two offers for the player.

His impressive form has resulted in a first call-up to the Northern Ireland squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

Meanwhile, Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has expressed his interest in signing Manchester City forward Craig Bellamy.

He said: "Craig Bellamy is a possibility. He can play wide left and up front so we'll see. I haven't got a wide left player, not a natural one, although we've got people who can play there. Steed leaving frees up a wage for us. We're all looking at Manchester City because they've got some great players who can't even get in the squad."

Manchester City have denied bidding £31.4m for Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder after reports surfaced in an Italian newspaper.

La Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Friday that City had made an offer for the 27-year-old Dutch international.

A source at Manchester City has told BBC Sport no bid for Sneijder has been made for the midfielder.

FA Cup holders City play Premier League champions Manchester United in the Community Shield on Sunday at Wembley.

Sneijder was named in Inter Milan's starting line-up against AC Milan as they city rivals contest the Italian Super Cup in Beijing. The article in La Gazzetta said he would fly to England after the match to begin talks with City.

Inter have also denied any talks have taken place regarding a proposed move to the Premier League for Sneijder.

On Thursday, Inter coach Gian Piero Gasperini said: "I think there is a bit of misinformation flying around, in fact a lot. I've realised that when it comes to Inter, people exaggerate situations that don't exist.

"It's normal during the transfer window that there are rumours especially revolving around a club like ours which has great players.

United have been linked with signing Sneijder before the end of the transfer window, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson has consistently denied he has made an offer for the player.

On Monday, after arriving in China, Sneijder was asked about a possible transfer away from Inter Milan.

He replied: "Maybe. I have played in many big competitions in Holland, Spain and Italy and I'm still here.

"What is going to happen we will see but I am a happy guy. There is always a chance something will happen but we will see."

Michael Ball has signed a contract with Leicester City after impressing during pre-season, BBC Radio Leicester understands.

For info I'm finally changing my seemingly decades old Mike Adamle 'HAVE MERCY!' 'sig' to one that no longer requires me to periodically remind people that Marcus Bent is available. I'll no doubt forget since I usually have sigs off, so if someone could point out when he's no longer available I'd be grateful.

For info I'm finally changing my seemingly decades old Mike Adamle 'HAVE MERCY!' 'sig' to one that no longer requires me to periodically remind people that Marcus Bent is available. I'll no doubt forget since I usually have sigs off, so if someone could point out when he's no longer available I'd be grateful.

Could be in for a canny long wait.

Could be in for a canny long wait.

Fingers crossed! (Y)

• Admin

Swansea have agreed a £1.5m fee to sign FC Utrecht goalkeeper Michel Vorm.

Chelsea winger Yury Zhirkov is set to join Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala on a four-year contract. No details have been released on a transfer fee but reports in Russian suggest it will be £13.2m. He was presented to the crowd before Anzhi's home league match against Tom Tomsk on Saturday. "I'm very happy to be here in Makhachkala," he told supporters. "I hope to make my Anzhi debut in our next game against Spartak Moscow [next Sunday]." But despite the presentation, Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas said the deal was not yet complete. He said: "Yury is in between reaching a full agreement, between club and player, with Anzhi and in the end it was mostly his decision. It is a great financial offer for him, it is a return home and I think he has decided to part company."