2011 College Football Season

Like I said to a guy on the 4Q FB page last night, TV bans might be even worse for a school than the death penalty at this point. Still having to spend the money to support a team, and not getting that expenditure offset by TV revenues? Harsh. It's also hard to sell a program to a recruit when he knows he's a) walking into a zone where the NCAA will be watching everything; and 2) will never, ever be on TV during his entire career.

Take them down to about 50 scholarships instead of 85, ban them from TV for the entire career of their next recruiting class...shit, that infamous Sports Illustrated cover may just come true.

Anyone listening to any good college football podcasts?

I like your predictions, HTTK, and found myself agreeing with you quite a bit. I'm curious to see if you do a Notre Dame prediction. I have us finishing 10-3. 9-3 in the regular season, with a win over Maryland (in a rematch) in the Champs Sports Bowl (since they can take us in place of a Big East team once in the next three years). I'm fairly certain we'll either lose to Michigan in the Big House in their first ever night game OR against Michigan State at home. I don't expect us to drop both, though. I have the last game at Stanford marked as a loss too. And I figure we'll drop one to Navy or Air Force or possibly Maryland in the middle of the year.

I know 'lol notre dame' is your motto, but I'm curious to get an honest and realistic observation from you.

I like your predictions, HTTK, and found myself agreeing with you quite a bit. I'm curious to see if you do a Notre Dame prediction. I have us finishing 10-3. 9-3 in the regular season, with a win over Maryland (in a rematch) in the Champs Sports Bowl (since they can take us in place of a Big East team once in the next three years). I'm fairly certain we'll either lose to Michigan in the Big House in their first ever night game OR against Michigan State at home. I don't expect us to drop both, though. I have the last game at Stanford marked as a loss too. And I figure we'll drop one to Navy or Air Force or possibly Maryland in the middle of the year.

I know 'lol notre dame' is your motto, but I'm curious to get an honest and realistic observation from you.

Yeah, I'm wrapping up Part 2 with all the other conferences and then I'll do the Independents together.

Ivan Maisel does one on ESPN that's all right if you can stand Beano Cook. Forde is on it sometimes wich is great.

Also, these guys are pretty good at times: CFB Guys

Oh and Starr and those 4Q guys do some decent CFB work from time to time (Y)

Yeah, I'm wrapping up Part 2 with all the other conferences and then I'll do the Independents together.

Ivan Maisel does one on ESPN that's all right if you can stand Beano Cook. Forde is on it sometimes wich is great.

Also, these guys are pretty good at times: CFB Guys

Oh and Starr and those 4Q guys do some decent CFB work from time to time (Y)

We try. Now if only our ghetto-ass station could get our recording equipment fixed so we could podcast again. It's going on three months now.

Wondered what happened ... what time would you guys be on now anyway ? I know ya'll moved.

Got sigs turned off? :shifty:

We're getting the fall schedule this coming week. For one last week, we're on at 8 AM CT this Wednesday. When it changes, it'll be on Facebook (or in my sig here :shifty: )

umabsolut.png

What station are you on, JStarr? Maybe I can find your show on my iPod.

If your iPod has Safari, you can try wmts.org and maybe (MAYBE) stream from there.

And both of those pics are great. Loved ESPNU running "The U" and "Pony Excess" back to back this afternoon. Finally got to see both all the way through, and the SMU deal sheds even more light on why Miami won't get that kind of penalty.

I think the NCAA will actually find a way to punish the ability of Miami to field a competitive team for awhile but won't do too much to their ability to make money for their other programs and academics. Basically major restrictions on recruitment, postseason, and scholarships but no TV bans or very little.

This is where they start without last year's to go off of. I made predictions, and hit a few HRs but had a couple of stinkers too. So moving forward, to the "big boys" of the CFB world.

The Pac 12 Predictions

Wow, this is going to be tougher than the SEC to pick. Usually it's because there's USC and then 3-4 clubs that could easily end up being #2 or challenging USC. This year, it's because USC can't win it and everyone else has rather large issues staring them in the face. UCLA has everyone back BUT still hasn't found a QB and has 5 conference road games and get Houston/Texas in non conference play. Oregon has to replace 3 OL and their depth on defense isn't reassuring. Stanford loses Harbaugh at HC and replace the majority of their OL/DL. ArizSt has people back but replaces both kickers and have a 6 week stretch in Oct/Nov that has them play 4 conference road games. Arizona gets the important people back but replaces too much of their depth players and play both Stanford and Oregon and also don't get Wazzu. It goes on and on.

So who the hell wins it ? - I'm going with Stanford ... because Andrew Luck is that good. Their schedule reads better than Oregon's and they get NikeU at home. They do play USC but avoid the tricky games with ArizSt and Utah. One of their road games is Wazzu. Having Stepfan Taylor and his 1000+yds and 15 TDs and 5.1 average on the ground returning gives Luck some big help.

Who do they beat in the Title Game ? - Either Utah or Arizona State. Yeah yeah I already know what's coming with me picking Utah. Look at how things play out for them though. QB is back, and is good. They've got the 5 home conference games (including ArizSt) and they avoid Stanford and Oregon. The Pac 12 schools aren't used to the altitude and at least in year 1 it'll be an issue for them. They're used to playing Pac 12 schools (since 2006 they've played UCLA/OrgSt twice, Oregon, and California). They do play USC but it's in week 2, where it would do the least amount of damage to their season.

Arizona State is led by 6'8" ... yeah, six fucking foot eight Brock Osweiler at QB. They bring back 15 starters and hardly lose any depth at all. They don't play Stanford and they get the USC game at home. They're good, last year in back to back weeks they dropped heart breakers to USC and Stanford. Early in the season last year they missed an XP after scoring to seemingly tie Wisconsin late in the game, and dropped a tough game to OrgSt by 3. That kind of bum luck hardly ever carries over for a second year in a row.

I won't be surprised if: - The state of Washington has a good year. The Huskies lose Locker but it might not be as huge of a loss as you'd expect. Chris Polk was second only to Oregon's Mr James in rusing and Jermaine Kearse is the 3rd leading Pac 12 WR returning for this year. They return a favorable amount of players and only have 4 conference road games. The Cougers on the other hand, simply have too much talent on their team not to win some games. Teul is a good QB and Marquess Wilson is an all conference WR. They got some Juco help on the line and won't have to rely on freshmen on defense like last year. I can see the Huskies winning up to 7 in the regular season and going bowling again, and the Cougars have the talent to win 4 games and at the very least be competitive in most.

Surprise Team - Utah. If they aren't in the Pac 12 Title game, they'll be damn close which most people aren't buying. Every time I go over their schedule I count 8 wins. In the side of the conference they play on, 2-3 conference losses could easily still land them in the title game.

UCLA deserves mention. I think they're a year away and have just had too many injuries in too many spots to simply have it all fall together this year. However, with the talent if it does I won't be shocked.

Bold Prediction - Colorado won't finish in the basement of the South Division. Oddly enough they play 10 Pac 12 teams but only 9 count as conference games (Cal was a home/home scheduled last year and is the return game). They'd already showed signs of turning it around the last two years and get 16 starters back. They do have a 1st year head coach, but combined with a new conference I think the "don't know any better" will carry them to enough to get out of the basement of the division.

If that doesn't work, how abou this ... a team with 7 or more wins on the season has finished 5th or worse in the conference the last 3 years. That will continue this season.

Players to Watch - Juron Criner WR Arizona ++ Andrew Luck QB Stanford ++ Tony Dye S UCLA ++ Jamaar Jarrett DE ArizSt ++ Chaz Walker LB Utah ++ Rodney Stwear RB Colorado ++ Kenjon Barner RB/KR Oregon

The ACC

On the surface it looks crowded, but in all honesty probably not so much if things go according to who they should. There are several teams with talent all over the place but very few times have any of these schools lived up to the level of talent they've possessed. Luckily for a couple of them, things have gone horribly wrong for a few teams this offseason.

So who is going to win it ? - Florida State will reclaim their ACC Crown and I'll be shocked if they don't do it in convincing fashion. Color me a homer all you want, but I challenge anyone to actually make a case better than the one FSU has. First and foremost they're loaded everywhere. This actually looks and feels like the 90's FSU teams. By far their weakest link will be LB, but the guys taking over (Luc/Jones) were both on the field as freshmen last year and were the #2 and #4 LB's in their class coming out of HS. Everywhere else they are LOADED. Toss in the fact that they are gifted Duke and Virginia from the other side of the conference, get Miami and NC State at home, and don't play VT or NC ? Yeah, we call that a recipe for an ass whipping season. 10 wins minimum.

I won't be surprised if - VT or NS State take it from FSU. Perhaps Clemson sneaks in. While they're set up to complete the "return," FSU has had a slight pinchot for the let down in the past. That could allow Clemson to sneak through or VT to steal the title game from them. VT has the most talent outside of FSU, have an even better schedule than FSU's (GT the toughest team on the road, no FSU, Clemson/Miami/NC at home), and have the defense to allow the 6'6" Logan Thomas to settle in at QB. Clemson has the usual dynamic players (Ellington is just the next CJ SPiller/James Davis in line, and McNeal/Hopkins are two of the best WR in the conference) but will have to have Tahj Boyd step up immediately at QB. If that happens they'll be right in the thick of it. NC State ? Well Tom O'Brian is a great freaking coach. Just look at BC since he left. His defense was GREAT last year and they get 8 guys back. This 6'6" Glennon kid at QB is supposedly the real deal and get an even better schedule than the one they went 9-4 with last year.

Surprise Team - Clemson could qualify but I'm not going that route ... Virginia/Duke though will battle it out for this honor. Both London and Cutcliffe (LOL Tennessee eh ? dumbfucks shoulda kept him in house) are fantastic coaches and are making huge strides. London brought in the right attitude and is already recruiting top 20 classes while Cutcliffe finally has a strong returning group. Both clubs will win more games this year than last.

Bold Prediction - NC State wins at least 9 again this year. Honestly I don't see why they can't be 7-0 going into Talahassee to play FSU. That's also the only game on their schedule that I flat out see them losing. No VT/Miami and they get Clemson/NC/Maryland/GT at home.

If that doesn't work how about this ... Maryland will finish two games worse than last year, but Danny O'Brien will be one of the top 3 QB's in the conference.

Players to Watch - Greg Reid CB/KR/PR FSU ++ Andre Ellington RB Clemson ++ Jayron Hosley CB VT ++ Dwight Jones WR NC ++ Cam Johnson DE VA

The Big 12 (that's really 10)

It isn't the Big 2 anymore. Texas is down and actually has to earn it's spot back. Oklahoma is touted by everyone but has some serious questions (unfortunately one due to terrible circumstance, sorry Oklahoma). OSU is loaded, and A&M is locked and loaded. Missouri is restocked as well and while they have to break in a new QB, they've been pretty good at that lately.

And your winner is ? - A&M will break on through to the other side. Waaaay, waaaay, waaaay too much going for them. Quick, name the last (and only) Big 12 team to beat Texas/Oklahoma/Nebraska in the same season ! A&M, last year in the span of 4 weeks. Were it not for a complete and utter shitting of the bed at OSU last year A&M would have been in the Big 12 title game. 5 To's just don't happen very often. That was also before Tannehill took over the QB job too. This team is stacked deeper and higher than any team in the country really. 18 guys come back from the 9-4 "welcome back" team last year. The two guys gone ? Rather important yes (Von Miller/Micheal Hodges) but they do have a Freshman AA filling one of those slots. They've got players at every position that can be easily argued as the best in the position in the conference. They also get back 44 of their top 50 letter earners from last year, so they've got plenty of depth (which they haven't had in a long time). Schedule is as good as you could hope for with OSU/Texas/Mizzou at home. If they survive the OSU/Ark/TT stretch in early October this could be a very dangerous team beyond even the Big 12.

I won't be surprised if - Oklahoma State finally breaks through. I'd be higher on them if they didn't have such a crap schedule (at A&M/Texas/Mizzou/TT .. even at Tulsa isn't a gimme anymore). While their offense is on par with anyone, their D is a huge question and with both A&M and Oklahoma loaded on offense ... yeah. However, I won't bat an eye if they do manage to find enough D to out shoot enough people to sneak the title.

Surprise Team - Kansas State. Snyder is back to his old tricks and he seems to be pulling good ones. He's absolutely flooded this team with JUCOs and transfers (Bryce Brown RB from Tennesse, Justin Tuggle QB from BC, Chris Harper WR from Oregon, Arthur Brown LB from Miami). Snyder is a great coach and evaluates talent as good as anyone in college football. These guys have all played at high levels already and are hungry to prove something. 8-9 wins is possible, but easily going bowling.

Bold Prediction - We'll see three teams with 10 or more wins and Texas won't be one of them. Oklahoma and A&M will win 10 before it's all done. OSU probably will, and Mizzou can.

If that doesn't work then how about this ... Baylor will beat Texas for the 2nd year in a row.

Players to Watch - Cyrus Gray RB A&M ++ Jeff Fuller WR A&M ++ Brad Madison DE Mizzou ++ David Garrett CB KSU ++ Jake Knott LB ISU ++ Malcom Brown RB TX ++ Ryan Broyles WR OK ++ Justin Blackmon WR OSU

The Big 10 (that's really 12)

Welcome to conference championship games, divisions, and all sorts of yummy goodness you old turds. Now, don't screw it up. You've got a handful of clubs that could REALLY use this year to make strides in the conference with Michigan in flux and Ohio State on the rocks. However, it always seems that the team with the best set up to take over, poops everywhere (HI IOWA YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES).

So what does that mean for the title ? - Wisconsin bucks the trend and takes advantage. The transfer of Russell Wilson puts them over the top. Year after year they put out quality players on the field. They return TWO 1000yd RBs and don't play a true road game until October 22, yeah. They do play MichST/OhioST on the road, but miss Michigan/Iowa/Northwestern (more on this later). They host Nebraska and Penn St.

I wouldn't be surprised if - Michigan State wins it. They do go to OSU/Iowa and Nebraska but catch Michigan/Wisconsin at home. The OSU road game will be right before the suspended guys come back and OSU could be hurting. They do avoid Penn St. They're even more stocked at RB than Wisconsin, and are set up to have a top 4 defense in the conference even with Greg Jones gone.

***Nebraska could surprise as well. I just can't get behind them. Which Taylor Martinez is going to show up ? The one that rushed for 870yds in the first 7 games or the one that rushed for 95 in the last 7 after his injury ? That, and they play EVERY TEAM (including them) at the top of the standings (they catch all of OSU/Michigan/MichiganST/PennST/Wisconsin/Iowa/Northwestern). Welcome to the conference guys. That schedule is why I'm not all over them like everyone else is.

Surprise Team - Northwestern. If Persa doesn't get hurt, this team has a much different last 3 games (and probably beats Iowa). He's bringing 15 other starters back with him and they don't have to play Wisconsin or Ohio St, and get Penn St/MichST/Michigan at home. That's a great schedule. Add to that only 4 conference road games (although they do go to the Red Sea and Iowa) and it looks pretty good for them to raise some eyebrows.

Bold Prediction - Neither OSU or Nebraska will play in the very first Big 10 title game. OSU will take a step back (even if small) and Nebraska can't overcome that schedule. I don't see anyone getting to the title game undefeated and I only see one team getting there with 1 loss.

If that doesn't work how about this ... Minnesota wins 5 games this year.

The SEC Predictions

Super duper. You own the CFB world. That's great. Things are changing though. I mean, one division has 5 teams with 9 or more wins and the other has 4 with losing records ? Not good sir, not good. The power balance, like the Big 10 could shift if a couple of teams get their heads out of their asses and get the job done. Also, can we maybe MAN UP and QUIT SCHEDULING 1-AA/CUPCAKE SCHOOLS IN NOVEMBER/LATE OCTOBER YOU PUSSIES ?!!?!! (Vandy - Arkansas are the only of the 12 schools that didn't do that, WTF).

So who the blue hell wins the SEC ? - Screw it. The 'Ole Ball Coach and South Carolina. Probably my least favorable picks for a conference champ but what the hell. Gotta make ballsy picks like this now and again. They have two of the best skill players in the nation, let alone the conference (Alshon Jeffery - Marcus Lattimore). Stephan Garcia showed more of the upside than the down side last year, and they have the heart of their always great defense coming back. What's even better though, is that they avoid LSU/Bama and play UGA early on before they have a chance to gel. Florida is at home.

I won't be surprised if - LSU and Bama are LSU and Bama. Both are loaded and either of them should win the title. Bama is most likely too with 10 starters back on D, but replacing a QB like McElroy is tough even with some kid named Simms on your depth chart (who is probably going to start as the #2 anyway). Richardson is great but I'm not sold on the rest of the backfield. Of course, I could line up behind Bama's line and get yardage but whatever. LSU just has had a tendancy to lose games they shouldn't since they won that NT in '07. Mississippi twice and then Arkansas last year. Still though, seeing them in the title game wouldn't be a shock of any sort.

Surprise Team - Hello UGA. Only 3 conference road games, (all 3 had losing records last year), no LSU or Bama, and both South Carolina and FLA are at home. Yeah, that's as dream as dream gets for an SEC schedule. The only game that was bad on the scoreboard was Auburn but they were only down 4 going into the 4th. They get most of their defense (which was good) back and return their QB. They've also got the #4 rated TB coming in as well. Ceiling for this team ? Winning the East ... seriously. Floor ? 6-6.

Bold Prediction - The Miss St turn around is in full effect. 9-4 last year, 9 wins again this year (at least).

If that doesn't work for you, how about this ... Auburn finishes no higher than 4th in the West.

Players to Watch - Aaron Murray QB UGA ++ Alshon Jeffery WR USC ++ Robert Lester FS Bama ++ Joe Adams WR ARK ++ Ryan Baker LB LSU ++ Danny Trevathan LB UK

Also, college fantasy football (ESPN) ... play it:

Pick'em group EWB, password: Death Penalty

Showdown group EWB, password: Prop Bets

Challenge group EWB, password: Homerism

^ .... come on, there's got to be more than ONE of you with some nuts :shifty:

Probably not. There doesn't seem to be many who like to read, either. *COUGHOWNERSTOURNEYCOUGH* The Dome must be a ghost town by now.

And the Challenge group uses only Big XII? Meh.

Starrman ... You should be able to pick your own league

Should be, but I got a "Cannot join this group" message. Looked like this:

Cannot join this group

Different Conferences - Your selected entry uses a different conference than this group. You can only join groups who use the same conference as your entry. Either create another entry or change this entry's conference if you have not yet accrued any points.

Starrman ... You should be able to pick your own league

Should be, but I got a "Cannot join this group" message. Looked like this:

Cannot join this group

Different Conferences - Your selected entry uses a different conference than this group. You can only join groups who use the same conference as your entry. Either create another entry or change this entry's conference if you have not yet accrued any points.

Big 12 was selected first so everyone joining the group has to use Big 12.