The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I think it's safe to assume neither guy really wanted to shake hands with the other one. But honestly, it's your fucking job, and they both should act with a bit more professionalism. The case is over, Suarez served his ban. If he's not over it and still wants to maintain innocence then okay. But it doesn't excuse him going against what the manager had been saying when asked about the handshake all week. Nor is Evra excused from his behavior after the match and his apparent running after Suarez at half time, that wasn't needed, was it as bad as what Suarez apparently did to him at Anfield? No. But it didn't help to make a bad situation any better.

In the context of today and today alone they both could've done better. In the last month Liverpool as a club could've done better (Maybe the club do believe he's 100% innocent and nobody else believes them)and United fans could've done better than singing songs about Hillsborough and handing out fanzines with Klansman hoods on them (not to mention Welcome to Klanfield photoshopped images on Facebook and other equally KKK themed things I've seen). But here's the thing - most people are fucking morons and football fans are usually the worst of it especially the vocal ones. To me it's the actions of fans that is the more dangerous thing this incident has sparked off. It's been the cringe worthy story of this damned season and I'll be glad when it goes away and extra glad if it dies away completely without leading to any other shameful spectacles.

I want to watch football because I like it. I don't want to have to get bogged down in rows and squabbles and things that have nothing to do with what is essentially the only sport I like.

The best part of the whole thing was when DeGea was holding Suarez's arm like he wanted to get Dutch Rudder going on.

• Like 1

That Liverpool article is pathetic, seriously. "Evra's hand came back slightly when the man who racially abused him, denied it, and tried to have him vilified stepped forward." BIG SHOCKER. His hand was still there to be shook. Suarez ignored it. Good on Rio to not shake it. I wouldn't have either.

I also liked Evra's celebration at the end.

Just been told about something by a friend who watched the game, that I've not seen picked up on any of the news channels following the game. Apparently Rio Ferdinand actually snubbed Suarez? Is this true?

He did, after the Suarez/Evra non-handshake. It was certainly mentioned by Sky in their half-time/post-match analysis, and I thought MOTD covered it too.

And as I type this, Sunday Supplement are discussing that.

And Sunday Supplement also mentioned that Cantona was suspended by the club after the kung fu kick, so that's at least one bit of Fergies hypocrisy disproved.

I think the point was that he kept him at the club after the incident, whilst Fergie is calling for Suarez to go. So I wouldn't say it disproves anything. Cantona was still a cock, he was just a better footballer than Suarez is.

And Sunday Supplement also mentioned that Cantona was suspended by the club after the kung fu kick, so that's at least one bit of Fergies hypocrisy disproved.

I think the point was that he kept him at the club after the incident, whilst Fergie is calling for Suarez to go. So I wouldn't say it disproves anything. Cantona was still a cock, he was just a better footballer than Suarez is.

Suarez racially abused a player and then refused to shake his hand.

Cantona attacked a racist fan.

Not exactly comparable, are they?

• Like 1

You're seemingly acting like I'm trying to defend Suarez, I'm not. However, flying kicking someone in the face, racist or not, is unacceptable behaviour for someone who is supposed to be a role model. You say it isn't comparable behaviour, but both bring about a lack of respect for the club and what the club represents.

Now if it was a Leeds player, it'd probably be alright :shifty:.

"Luis Suarez has issued an apology for not shaking Patrice Evra's hand before Liverpool's game against Man Utd."

From Sky Sports twitter.

Edit:

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has today issued the following apology:

"I have spoken with the Manager since the game at Old Trafford and I realise I got things wrong.

"I've not only let him down, but also the Club and what it stands for and I'm sorry. I made a mistake and I regret what happened.

"I should have shaken Patrice Evra's hand before the game and I want to apologise for my actions.

"I would like to put this whole issue behind me and concentrate on playing football."

Edited by Starvinho

The Aaron Ramsey scoring curse continues.

Taken from the SMB so you don't think I'm a harsh bastard for some of the phrasing :shifty:

Scored against Man United - Bin Laden dead

Scored against Spurs - Steve Jobs gone

Scored against Marseille - Bye Gaddafi

Scored yesterday - Houston we have a problem

Scored an own goal against Liverpool, there were 2 earthquakes in the Pacific and the red arrows pilot crashed his plane :|

Edited by IAceI