The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Liverpool's lineup today.

Reina, Flanagan, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique, Gerrard, Spearing, Henderson, Downing, Suarez, Kuyt.

#LFC subs: Doni, Coates, Carroll, Eccleston, Sterling, Shelvey, Aurelio.

Official confirmation of #LFC team: Reina, Flanagan, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique, Gerrard, Spearing, Henderson, Downing, Suarez, Kuyt.

Subs: Doni, Coates, Carroll, Eccleston, Sterling, Shelvey, Aurelio.

Nathan Eccleston and Raheem Sterling on the bench. I'm less excited about Eccleston returning the bench.

Mata hits the post from a free kick as Friedel watches on rooted to the spot.

Kyle Walker's attempt at getting back on the line didn't exactly go well, he ran outside the post for a start :lol:

Adebayor now goes round Cech but Cahill gets back to clear it away. Then a Bale header comes back off the bar from the resultant corner.

Much better second half.

The penalty right after someone possibly Enrique completely arsed up their clearance. It was a penalty though.

We've played better since the goal went in and had six shots since then (three on target).

Clearly this is the time for Raheem Sterling!

Awful defending let that one in.

Again, I blame Jamie Carragher and Enrique has been horrible recently too.

EDIT: We really miss Lucas and I repeat Carragher need to bugger off and retire.

EDIT: Shelvey/Spearing in CM, Flanagan at FB. No wonder we're losing, we're down to the bones in some places. Also Carragher. Either quite young or too old.

EDIT: and Raheem Sterling is on. Lets hope for a Macheda type impact.

I'm not sure who could get this squad clicking together with all the injuries: Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Agger, Johnson, Kelly, Bellamy have all been in and out throughout the season.

Positives for that game: Raheem Sterling's much needed pace.

Paul Tompkins tweet sums it up nicely:

Best players today: Sterling, followed by Agger, Lucas, Johnson and Bellamy

It's not just that Liverpool aren't 'clicking' it's that our best midfielder Lucas is out until next season. Our best center back is currently out. Glen Johnson and Craig Bellamy (who started today joint top scorer) are both out. The team that played today finished with Jay Spearing, who is a Championship player in CM with Shelvey who is good but fairly young and 17 year old Raheem Sterling, who played really well for the short time he had but still, he's 17.

The problem all season has been not scoring goals. Defending, aside from set pieces, has been good until Agger got injured and we had to drag out Jamie Carragher. Why Kenny leaves Maxi out for league games and continues to play a lost and confused looking Henderson is beyond me, bar the fact we paid silly money for him.

When Suarez/Carroll/Gerrard have been together they've looked. Bellamy has been great, Skrtel's been great, Kelly when he's had to play has been great. Enrique has for the most part been awesome (although in recent games he's not been playing his best). We currently have all the midfielders in the world but are being forced to play Spearing and today Shelvey which isn't a good thing.

There is a lot of youth, a lot of Premier League inexperience and injuries messing things up right now.

I wouldn't sack Dalglish over this season (I'm not, nor have I ever claimed to be the kind of person who hails him as 'King Kenny', I didn't want him to be manager when Benitez was sacked, I thought he was the best option when Hodgson got sacked because nobody was going to come into the club at this point - his time at Newcastle has always stuck in my mind). I've never thought of him as a long term manager but I don't think one season is going to fix all our problems either (I'm not sure how to reconcile the fact I don't see Dalglish as Liverpool manager for five or six years and the long term rebuilding the team needs to be honest).

I still feel like the clubs in a bit of a mess and it might take until next season for things to start clicking a little better.