The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

He has been dropped because if he played one more game for us it would mean it would trigger a clause where he gets an extra year's contract and God help us if the Venky's would spend any money on helping us function like a club. So he has an "injured" ankle.

Al-Faraj definitely went to a game or two.

You'd have to become significantly worse than you are now to end up like Portsmouth though. If we ever see mis-management on that scale again in the football league I'll be surprised.

• Admin
Arsenal have confirmed that assistant manager Pat Rice will leave the club at the end of the season.

The 63-year-old has been Arsene Wenger's right-hand man since 1996 and his departure will bring to an end a 48-year association with the club.

"Pat is a true Arsenal legend and has committed almost his whole life to Arsenal, which shows huge loyalty and devotion to this club," said Wenger.

BBC Sport understands former Gunners defender Steve Bould will replace Rice.

Bould, 49, has worked at Arsenal's youth academy since 2001 but his promotion will be formally announced after Arsenal's final game of the season at West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.

He impressed Wenger by leading the club's youngsters to the FA Youth Cup in 2009 and to the Premier Academy League title in 2008 and 2009.

In the reshuffle reserve-team coach Neil Banfield will be promoted to join Wenger and Bould in coaching the first team.

"When I first arrived at Arsenal, Pat was always there and taught me so much about this great club," added Wenger.

"I will always be indebted to him for his expert insight into Arsenal and football as a whole.

"On the training pitches and on match days, Pat has always been a passionate, loyal and insightful colleague, who we will all miss."

Rice joined Arsenal as a youth-team player in 1964 before turning professional two years later. He went on to make over 500 appearances for the Gunners, captaining the side to an FA Cup victory in 1979.

He left Arsenal for a four-year spell with Watford in 1980 before returning to the club as a youth-team coach.

Working alongside Wenger, Rice has helped guide the club to three Premier League titles and four FA Cups.

How on earth did the Venky's pass the fit and proper ownership test? It's clear as daylight that they haven't got a clue.

Because the fit and proper owners test is the biggest load of shit ever.

How on earth did the Venky's pass the fit and proper ownership test? It's clear as daylight that they haven't got a clue.

"Are you a wanted criminal?"

"Sigh...yes."

"In the UK?"

"Not...yet?"

"Welcome aboard!"

"Are you a wanted criminal?"

"Sigh...yes."

"In the UK?"

"Not...yet?"

"Welcome aboard!"

I doubt they even ask anything beyond whether they like puppies or not.

I have this sense that Sunday's match between Chelsea and Blackburn is going to be a barrel of laughs, especially if RDM does what I would do and fields a team containing NOBODY who will be playing in Munich the following weekend.

In other words, the FA Youth Cup squad plus Terry/Ivanovic/Ramires/Meireles. :shifty:

• Admin

Venky's have said in the Indian press that "nobody is to be blamed" and that Paul Hunt's sacking was for budgetary reasons.

And the club isn't for sale.

Blackburn owners Venky's have denied the club is for sale following relegation from the Premier League.

Rovers' 11-year stay in the top flight came to an end on Monday following defeat to Wigan, prompting fans to call for manager Steve Kean and the club's owners to leave.

"It is a company of ours and there is nothing in it," co-owner Venkatesh Rao told the Times of India.

Meanwhile, MP Jack Straw has called for an investigation into Venky's takeover.

Writing in his Lancashire Telegraph column, Straw said: "At the heart of the Premier League's wilful neglect of its responsibilities is its so-called 'fit and proper person' test.

"The test is laughable and almost everyone in the business knows this. It allows no period of probation for new owners, no assessment of their managerial competence, no disclosure of the insidious role of agents.

"The Premier League must now mount a full investigation into what business model Venky's thought they were buying and how much money has been made by those who sold them this model.

"I cannot believe that this Indian family poultry business had any idea of the financial and reputational risks they were taking on. Why were they not warned?"

Blackburn confirmed the departure of deputy chief executive Paul Hunt on Thursday, but Rao denied that his dismissal was as a result of a leaked letter calling for Kean to be sacked.

"It is not sacking because of that," he added. "Some staff have to leave and we have to bring budgets down, so it is nothing to do with it."

• Like 1