The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

We are going to have City stil at that level, a strengthened Chelsea & United will strengthen to, I'm sure.

'Pool have to compete with Spurs, Newcastle & Arsenal for 4th. Of course there's always the chance of a surprise packet joining them(also maybe one of Spurs/Newcastle/Arsenal could step up and shut all the other Champions league placing chasers out entirely).

If 'Pool finish as low as 7th, would that realistically be enough?

Not stiring, just expressing that I think it'd suck for another manager to get a shot at a big club and for them to get fired for not achieving a goal that may not be achievable in the first place.

We are going to have City stil at that level, a strengthened Chelsea & United will strengthen to, I'm sure.

'Pool have to compete with Spurs, Newcastle & Arsenal for 4th. Of course there's always the chance of a surprise packet joining them(also maybe one of Spurs/Newcastle/Arsenal could step up and shut all the

other Champions league placing chasers out entirely).

If 'Pool finish as low as 7th, would that realistically be enough?

Not stiring, just expressing that I think it'd suck for another manager to get a shot at a big club and for them to get fired for not achieving a goal that may not be achievable in

the first place.

The owner did say that they weren't expecting Miracles and that it was going to be the start of building to where they should be. But i don't know what would be realisitic. 5th maybe.

I think Arsenal and Spurs are definitely in competition for 4th. A lot of Newcastle's success will depend on whether Ba/Cisse/Ben Arfa can be as potent next season. I could see them not doing as well next season for whatever reason.

I think that Rodgers is a potentially better choice than Hodgson (who was appointed as media favorite by owners looking to get out ASAP) and Dalglish (who was appointed as a caretaker because options were limited at the time plus it was a good PR move to appoint the old club hero). Hodgson wasn't right in a lot of ways, he couldn't handle the media or the team tactically. Dalglish had pretty mixed results, at the start he was happy and joking with the press but as time wore on he became defensive and really didn't do himself or the club any good PR favors. He was always a tactically limited manager and while he made the team play better football than Hodgson, the over all direction of the club signings wise and the forcing out of Maxi and Kuyt while still playing Carragher was laughable. Dalglish should never have been a full time manager, he was never going to be a long term choice.

Rodgers' philosophy looks like it can fit the club, he's a more European coach in mentality than an English coach. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll do well. It would be interesting if this move scuppered Siggerson to Swansea and sent him our way instead.

Yeah, like I said multiple times last season Newcastles position was vastly helped by everyone not from Manchester periodically fucking up throughout the year. I'd see 7th, maybe with a cup run for a change, as another really good season. That being said with the players we have, a few reinforcements (one in already and Debuchy seemingly to follow soon) and not too many going out, if anyone falters again next year we'll still be pushing.

But you now have Europa League to contend with, so you'll probably want to get a few more names in so that you aren't overly exerting your squad. I don't see newcy pushing into the top four yet (Although you have a goal scorer who can take you anywhere in theory), but I really hope they stick around at the north end of the table because they were an enjoyable team to watch last season. I would be surprised to see 'pool finish anything but higher than their position this year whilst the usual identities fill out the CL positions. United could even get bumped to third if they plan on relying on a Scholes/Carrick midfield.

Has Scholes signed up for another year then?

I assumed he was only coming back temporarily. I know he's great, but it's kinda telling of where United are heading if they aren't prepared to splash out on a replacement sooner rather than later.

Yep, signed a one year extension a couple of days back I believe.

Edit: It is telling, because you'd think they would try and appeal to someone who is younger, more creative and can be built into the team over the course of a few years. I recall many a United fan telling me that Fergie is preparing the next 'golden generation' for his successor but in a lot of ways he's still clinging on to the last one.

Fergie got them 2nd place last season, not the players, and it's a shame because for such a long time they were the most attractive team in the prem.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Top four would be madness for Newcastle frankly. I do think we'll cope with the Europa though, we've a lot of good kids and reserves who would've got league time this year were it not for the form and lack of major injuries (bar Taylor).

Has Scholes signed up for another year then?

I assumed he was only coming back temporarily. I know he's great, but it's kinda telling of where United are heading if they aren't prepared to splash out on a replacement sooner rather than later.

Not sure if he's signed the deal yet but he's agreed to it.

Top four would be madness for Newcastle frankly. I do think we'll cope with the Europa though, we've a lot of good kids and reserves who would've got league time this year were it not for the form and lack of major injuries (bar Taylor).

I'm glad about this. Do you think Newcy will take the Europa serious unlike many other English teams? Would be nice for one of our teams to get quite far in that, instead of just using it as a basis for their youngsters to get a run about - see: Spurs.

United have confirmed it in the last few days, him and Amos new deals.

Re: Europa, we'd always taken it fairly seriously in the past, I suppose it depends whether the current thought of 'Europa not worth it' that's come in since then is in Pardews mindset. I hope not, but hard to guess really. Depending on injuries to first team players though (and of course any exits, though I'd hope they'd be to fund inbounds) there's a team of Elliot, Ryan Taylor, Williamson, Kadar, Tavernier, Obertan, Amaltifano, Abeid, Marveaux, Best and Shola. Mix in a few starters and that's not bad for the early stages, and that's assuming no new contract for Guthrie and Lovenkrands. Plus Xisco might come back!

Edit: Jeeze, two edits just to sort spelling, what's going on?

Edited by Colly