Electronic Entertainment Expo 2011 (E3)

King Ellis

Looking at the design, the analogue sticks seem uncomfortably high and it looks like it'll be a bitch to hold.

I'm probably jumping the gun and being overly cynical but the controller looks pointless just like I said and still believe about the original Wii's controller. The use of the extra screen will be minimal at best and I'm more excited with the tech Sony mentioned about their TV and how it can achieve two full screen images simltaneously withouth the need for splitscreen.

Looking at the design, the analogue sticks seem uncomfortably high and it looks like it'll be a bitch to hold.

I'm probably jumping the gun and being overly cynical but the controller looks pointless just like I said and still believe about the original Wii's controller. The use of the extra screen will be minimal at best and I'm more excited with the tech Sony mentioned about their TV and how it can achieve two full screen images simltaneously withouth the need for splitscreen.

And your not even talking about the price, this will easyly coast more than the wii these days.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I thought that too. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the controller gets a redesign before launch to make it easier to hold.

Edited by regia

I'm fairly on-board for this, though it should be noted that Nintendo could base an entire press conference around Wii Shiny Light and I'd declare it the best shiny light in the history of gaming.

• Like 1

Not paying attention, so can someone answer me this...

Will the WiiU have an almost inevitable bunch of new expensive accessories to buy? If so, this generation of Nintendo can officially take a running jump.

No, all the Wii stuff still works. Basicly this IS a new accessori for Wii.

Oh wait, may i be wrong? There also is a new console comming with it but all the old Wii Stuff still works with the new system?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/nintendo-showing-off-prototype-wii-u-demos-at-e3-this-week/

From what I could tell, it's actually a brand new console Matzat. Otherwise why would they tout its backwards compatibility? New console, but the main focus is the controller, pretty much the same as when they announced the Wii originally if I remember correctly.

I mean come on, they're not gonna start making developers excited over a fucking accessory that works with a system that's in the past generation vs. the accessory's slick new graphics and all. They're going to design a brand new console to go with it.

In other news, Norro now has to buy a 3DS, a PSVita and, most importantly, a WiiU (God, that name) in the next two years. Soooo much money, nevermind the games... I CAN'T WAIT! :w00t:

I'm confused. Someone sum up what the fuck the Wii U is.

Also, the Vita looks freakin' awesome.

Look at that link i posted, they already had a hands on, much less confusing that what nintendo presented.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

If it is compaible down to GC i might get it someday. But not to soon. I always wanted to get a Wii just to get all the old games i never played... but counting the amopunt of games i own and have not played i never did.

I like how the console looks smaler than the controler.

Yeah, the controller is the only iffy thing about the console for me. I mean, I loved the sound of a touchscreen controller (having the HUD on the controller in an FPS would be nice, make the screen less cluttered & easier to cycle through options) but that... that's pretty friggin' big.

Nintendo's all about competitive pricing though, always seem to have been. All this talk from people about "Oh it's gonna cost so much" is just reminding me of all the talk about the NGP after its features came out. "TWO TOUCHSCREENS?! IT WILL COST SIX-HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS." Yes, the controller does seem expensive, but you can bet Nintendo's more likely to try and cut costs for consumers on something like that to stay competitive in the market.

I dunno. The announcement of the Wii was initially met with both skepticism and excitement. This seems to be the same. I have to say that as far as this year of E3 is concerned, Nintendo took it once again for me. The line-up of third party games for the next system, and the implied first-party games coming for it (NEW SMASH BROTHERS OH GOD YES) have me more excited for a gaming system than I have been in a very, very long time.

Wii-U-007.jpg

The analog positioning is...weird, to say the least.

If you put it in relation of actualy holding the tabelt in your hand it´s pritty natural that your thumbs are up there. Think of it more like holding a book.

Nintendos Controlers never have been cheap Norro. Esp. with Wii it felt like they tryed to regain the low cost of the console with the pricing of WiiMote and NunChuck. You still pay about 50€ for that these days, i higly doubt a WiiU controler will be far less than 100€.

220px-Dreamcast_controller.jpg

It´s kinda getting in the dreamcasts direction issent it? Or was that only savedate and not game relevant?

Let´s play price bingo.

I say the system will be betwen 300-400€. For the sake of naming an exact price i´ll go 349,99. Comming with one WiiU Controler and no WiiMote or anything like that.

The Controler will be 80-100... 89,99€?

Wii-U-007.jpg

If you put it in relation of actualy holding the tabelt in your hand it´s pritty natural that your thumbs are up there. Think of it more like holding a book.

Nintendos Controlers never have been cheap Norro. Esp. with Wii it felt like they tryed to regain the low cost of the console with the pricing of WiiMote and NunChuck. You still pay about 50€ for that these days, i higly doubt a WiiU controler will be far less than 100€.

WiiMote Plus & Nunchuk: $60

PS3 DualShock SIXAXIS Controller: $55

XB360 Controller: $55

PS MOVE Starter Set & Extra Navigation Controller: $125

Nintendo controllers are roughly the same price as any of the others. It's not that the controllers are expensive, it's that the need of extra controllers are more apparent on the Wii than any other console. Furthermore, the Wii was an accessory-driven system, so of course their larger selection of accessories will bump up the price; however, as a singular unit, Nintendo controllers cost roughly the same as any other controller on the market.

Considering how relatively cheap the 3DS is, considering it's the first real commercially available product with glasses-free 3D, and it features a 3D camera and Augmented Reality, on top of everything else, I don't think new technology automatically = excessively inflated price tag.

Yes, for now a lot of what they show off about it will be gimmicky, but that's because they're tech demos. They're supposed to show off the new stuff the console can do. But once we see this thing working in context, see how the new features are integrated into the first run of first-party games, it'll be awesome, I'd almost guarantee it.

And, ultimately, Nintendo will do the same thing they did with the Wii - bring out a load of games early on that use all the new hardware, then later in the console's life all that stuff will be an added extra to games that are just plain awesome no matter which way you slice them.

I'm already far more psyched about the WeeOoo then I am about anything else shown off at E3, by quite a margin.

EDIT: And what's all the talk about the Wii "forcing" us to buy extra controllers? I've bought one Classic Controller, and MotionPlus since I got the console shortly after it came out. I've never seen any need to rush off and buy any others.

Wii-U-007.jpg

WiiMote Plus & Nunchuk: $60

PS3 DualShock SIXAXIS Controller: $55

XB360 Controller: $55

PS MOVE Starter Set & Extra Navigation Controller: $125

Nintendo controllers are roughly the same price as any of the others. It's not that the controllers are expensive, it's that the need of extra controllers are more apparent on the Wii than any other console. Furthermore, the Wii was an accessory-driven system, so of course their larger selection of accessories will bump up the price; however, as a singular unit, Nintendo controllers cost roughly the same as any other controller on the market.

That was my point, nothing with agressive pricing on that part.

EDIT: And what's all the talk about the Wii "forcing" us to buy extra controllers? I've bought one Classic Controller, and MotionPlus since I got the console shortly after it came out. I've never seen any need to rush off and buy any others.

Never said forcing. I said it's more apparent. The Wii is a multiplayer system by and large, very few single player games keep people coming back to the console quite like the 360 or PS3-- that's not to say single-player games that make the Wii worthwhile don't exist, though. It's just that you're more likely to need more than just one set of WiiMote & Nunchuk than you are to just need one 360 or PS3 controller.

It's definitely not forcing anything on anyone and, again, I'll defend the pricing of Nintendo's controllers because they aren't any more overpriced than any other controller on the market. It's just that what stands out about them is that they're still priced at the same range, when it's more than likely you'll need at least two, if not four Wiimotes and Nunchuks on average for the Wii than you would on any other console.

The need for that many controllers is more common on the Wii than any other system, and that's when the price becomes a pain for people.

EDIT: Matz, then you could have said that line about any company's controllers, not just "Nintendo controllers are never cheap." Fact is, no controllers ever are, but I highly doubt Nintendo is going to ramp up the price on this one in particular.

You have to remember, the tech and hardware behind these things is actually becoming less expensive. Nintendo kept out of the 3D market for so long because they were waiting for the tech to become more accessible to the general public. Will the controllers be up there in price? Probably. Will they be out of reach for most people? Don't really know, but I highly doubt they're going to charge $100 for it.

• Like 1