2011/12 UEFA Europa League

Lineker

Might as well get accustomed to this thread now...

Joint favourites to win it at the moment with City at 8-1 :)

Whats a Europa league? :unsure:

In all seriousness, it will be interesting to see Fergie's selection policies for this competition. I rather think he'll probably put the b-team and concentrate on the league but perhaps take it seriously if the team gets to the semi-final/final.

Guest flierthananostrich
tottenham boss Harry Redknapp does not believe Manchester United and Manchester City should be allowed into the Europa League. The Premier League's top two have dropped into the Europa League after both crashed out of the UEFA Champions Leaguespacer.gif earlier this week.

Redknappspacer.gif is not a fan of how the format works in that teams who finish third in their Champions League group go into the Europa League.

Redknapp said: "I have got to be honest I don't know how you go from the Champions League into the Europa League anyway. Do you really?

"If you get knocked out you are out, surely. If you go into a competition and get beat, you are out of it. What are you doing coming back into another competition?

"If you get knocked out of the FA Cup we will all come back into the semi-finals of the Carling Cupspacer.gif or something.

"It's unbelievable. I just don't understand it.

"Even if you win it [the Europa League] you must feel we were not in that to start with, we didn't have to go through the qualifying games.

"It just doesn't make sense to me how it works, it is strange.

"I don't know who invented them rules.

"You are out of the Champions League, see you next year. I don't see how you go into the Europa League."

Edited by flierthananostrich
  • Like 1

In a very rare moment I do agree with him though. I actually quite like the Europa League/UEFA Cup format, but I hate the entry of the Champions League teams.

Hope United play a shit team and go out though (or better, go out with a strong team), Evras comments just made him look like a dick. You weren't good enough, so you aren't in the Champions League, you don't get there by default.

• Like 1

It's always been like this though hasn't it 3rd place going into the Uefa Cup/Europa League?

I preferred it when the Uefa Cup was a straight knockout tournament before it became the Europa League. I just think leave the group stage for the Champions League and turn the Europa League back into a straight knockout.

The first couple of years of Champions League didn't have the 3rd place rule. Not sure when it started but it has been a while. Long enough to not start bitching about it now because you see your chances of winning it diminish.

Edited by Animal
  • Like 1

It might not be a big deal to a lot of English or Spanish teams but for teams from countries like the Netherlands or Czech it's a godsend. The way international football is at the moment is that teams from those countries have a slim chance of being 1 or 2 in their CL group but it gives them a chance to continue in Europe and have a chance at international success. Ofcourse chances are this year is gonna end up with an all England semi final but oh well. Basel managed to beat United so who knows what might happen.

I'm with 'arry on this. Well done, you've finished third! Have another stab at a cup competition. Pffft.

This compared to the usual way teams get in: Well done, you've finished fifth! (Or possibly sixth. Or seventh.)

'arry doesn't like Champions League teams going into the Europa League, cos the lads in the Europa League are talented buncha lads, innit.

If it had happened to Spurs nobody would care but because it's United and it's newsworthy somebody had to ask 'Future England manager if he's not in jail by the end of the Euros 'arry Redknapp'.

Why does Harry Redknapp care? I thought he liked playing his reserves in the Europa League so he could focus on getting a Champions League place?

Which is marginally better than Martin O' Neil playing his reserves in the Europa League so he could focus on getting a Europa League place <_<

• Admin
Manchester United season ticket holders will not be forced to buy tickets for this season's Europa League campaign.

It was anticipated holders would be obliged to buy Europa League tickets under the club's existing terms for season ticket ownership.

However, although their Champions League exit could cost the club £20m, United have reviewed their policy.

United's 2-1 defeat at Basel on Wednesday saw them drop into Europe's second-tier competition.

A section of the United support has for a long time argued against the club's policy to force season ticket holders to purchase Champions League and FA Cup tickets.

In effect that meant every time United were drawn at home in the FA Cup or Champions League, season ticket holders had to pay, whether they wanted to attend the game or not.

It has not yet been decided whether season ticket holders will need to purchase tickets for matches they want to attend or will need to inform the club of a wish not to.

Neither is it known what prices will be charged for the competition.

Seems harsh, we get offered them first before they go on general sale. Not a big issue these days but pre expansion the only games I got to were cup games, you'd think Man United would want to keep some available for the tourist market rather than (and I may be reading this wrong) leaving empty seats if they can't go? I know you could pass it to a mate or whatever, but still.