2011/12 UEFA Europa League

Lineker

Spurs win 4-0 and go out of Europe. Shamrock Rovers lose 4-0 and say goodbye their manager and his assistant and probably a good chunk of the team!

So 4 of our 5 sides from this competition are out after the group stage?

If it wasn't the failure of Man Utd & Man City we'd be saying it was a desperate season in the competition. I've got to say though that Birmingham, Fulham and Celtic can all count themselves unlucky, they all came close as did Spurs.

I really think the format of this tournament needs to change, it is now a slightly bigger, second string version of the Champion's League and I don't think it's altogether necessary to have all these matches just to win the Europa League.

Edited by AdamDRFC

Simple solution. Turn the Champions League back into a league for Champions only and then turn the Europa League back into the UEFA Cup and including the teams that finished second in their league with the likes of Real Madrid, Arsenal and Inter Milan and gain it some prestige back.

The absolute non-caring attitude by teams and players to ignore this competiton because it's too beneath them really pisses me off. Anyone who doesn't care about this tournament, fuck off, becuase I'd give my right arm to see my team play Rabotnicki of Macedonia in a European first round preliminary draw 1 qualifying first leg first round play-off or whatever the fuck it is.

It could be such a great tournament again, but it's clear most teams don't even care about it. They shouldn't allowed Champions League drop outs into it after the group stages, and just allow some of the best second-tier teams to compete for some silverware.

I'm going to go calm myself down now.

Edited by IAceI

Just out of interest, out of the last 10 UEFA/Europa League winners (Feyenoord, Porto x2, Valencia, CSKA Moscow, Sevilla x2, Zenit, Shakhtar Donesk and Athletico Madrid) how many of them started the season in the Champions League?

Looking at that list, I'd assume only Feyenoord, Sevilla and Athletico Madrid.

I don't mind the 'non champions' Champions league to be honest, just champions means you've about 5 good teams from the bigger leagues, plus a load of tat that would otherwise go out in the group stages. Horrible moneywise for tv and selfishly horrible tv wise for me, I love the decent games you get in the early knockouts.

Agree with dropping the stupid 'relegation to Europa League' rule though.

And Ace, I agree entirely on the not caring. City should be sad they've dropped to the Europa League? They weren't even in Europe two years ago. Spurs playing kids this year? I know the priority is making more money by finishing fourth (an argument for another day, Arsene Wenger gets slagged off despite achieving that every year but not winning a trophy, though the press would murder him is he finished 5th), but after one year in the Champions League they're bigger than the Europa League? I bet the travelling fans don't think so. Newcastle did Champions League and UEFA Cup, then applied for the Intertoto after that while it was being ridiculed kit because we loved being in Europe. It's mint.

I know thats all very 'small team' view, but the Europa League is only an afterthought because Sky and MOTD (who are actually worse) only want to talk big 4, the list of Europa League winners show that actual good teams in Europe will put some effort in.

Edited by Colly
  • Like 1

Just out of interest, out of the last 10 UEFA/Europa League winners (Feyenoord, Porto x2, Valencia, CSKA Moscow, Sevilla x2, Zenit, Shakhtar Donesk and Athletico Madrid) how many of them started the season in the Champions League?

Looking at that list, I'd assume only Feyenoord, Sevilla and Athletico Madrid.

Porto, when they won the first one, with Mourinho.

tef90 on Twitter: "Not sure Valencia will be relishing a trip to the Britannia Stadium."

'kin hell. Is this still going on?

Because Valencia have never been to Osasuna or Bilbao or Deportivo and played against some negative formation and got kicked about a lot. Wish this ridiculous Stoke charade would end now.

Watch Stoke go and turn them over now.. :shifty:

Valencia haven't won against English games in the last 8 meetings. I reckon Stoke could beat the at home but will probably get smashed away.