General Movie Thread

Jimmy

So, Anchorman was okay. I'm probably echoing a few opinions here, but I think there's a good film in there somewhere, but they were just too afraid to leave stuff on the cutting floor. It's so clunky and doesn't flow at all, and Brick's act gets pretty old when he's getting nearly as much attention as Ron. I think the problem is, because of the length of the film, a lot of it just doesn't feel funny. Some bits got me laughing, and some stuff had me really entertained (the cameos are fantastic) but it's just too inconsistent, and some of the improvisations aren't funny.

Obviously it's a good, easy watch. But it's not got anything on the first and kind of feels like a missed opportunity.

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw Anchorman 2 last night and I completely agree. I had a few laughs, I felt good, had a smile on my face but was expecting to bust a gut and it never happened.

So, I live in a smalltown in Washington so I will probably have to wait to see Inside Llewyn Davis till the DVD release sadly. We get most of the big movies and not much of the award bait fair till much later. Maybe before the Oscars roll around we'll get to see but I really want to see this one. I'm a HUGE Coen Brothers fan.

So, did anyone have an issue that Jennifer Lawrance is 10ish years or so younger than her character in American Hustle?

Inside Llewyn Davis is good, though even by Coen Brothers standards the plot is pretty slight. It's basically just a series of sketches from his life.

The Possession,Pontypool,Crowsnest,The Tall Man,Grave Encounters,ATM. All movies being considered for tomorrow. Thoughts on any?

I ended up watching Crowsnest. I'll probably watch Grave Encounters next weekend though.

Loved Anchorman 2, probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. I know it's an unusual choice for a favorite scene but I laughed so hard at this one...

When they're looking at the "I hate Mondays" painting and everyone starts maniacally laughing and it jump cuts to Brian asking what's up mid-laugh. That and Drake's cameo saying Veronica had a lochness monster ass because it's "mysterious and sought after"

It is what I expected it to be, a cameo-filled, slapstick comedy with more jokes and references than actual story and I'm okay with that.

Saving Mr. Banks just may have been the best movie from 2013 I have seen. Everything in it worked. The cast was perfect (Bradley Whitford, Jason Schwartzman and BJ Novak were outstanding). Hell, it even made me like Colin Farrell. The dialogue was great and didn't come off as forced and it had me singing Mary Poppins songs for days.

Jupiter Ascending looks kind of cool, but some of the Sci-Fi stuff looks a bit goofy. But then I like my Sci-Fi future to be more horrible and Aliens-ish, so it might not be so much for me. I dunno. I think some of the imagery just reminded me of Battlefield Earth and that's not good for anyone. But we'll see.